Reactivating My Social Media Gave Me A Rush Of Anxiety

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V.V.

Reaction score
     So, last year I deactivated all of my social media accounts in order to get myself to focus on my physical and mental health. I've been through a lot of ups and downs since doing so and that secured my decision on leaving my accounts deactivated. 

But today I decided to reactivate them again. I thought I was doing so much progress with my overall health and I was also curious. But the amount of friends that I had and seeing all the changes they all were going through and just...so much change. It made me feel a heavy rush of anxiety and guilt that I am struggling compared to them all.

Instead of deactivating my accounts, I've decided to just permanently delete them. I kinda want to start new and try and make new friends again, but that's always hard. There's this guy that I would love to befriend at my work, but for some reason I'm so nervous around him and everyone else. I've yet to join a community sports team, but I'm considering it. 

If anyone reads this...does Social Media give you similar problems? How do you all make new friends and socialize? Is starting completely knew a good thing knowing full well I severed all ties to my friends/acquaintances/family? Should I feel guilty about cutting ties??? An answer isn't required, but if you got any suggestions then please...

I have no issues with social media, other than some mild annoyance sometimes.

I don't think you should just wash your hands of your past (current?) relationships. Although, if you went a year and none of them tried to get in touch with you, I'd wash my hands of them too. So really, it depends on the situation and what happened. And stop feeling guilty!

Gaining new friends is never a bad idea, in my opinion. You can meet people anywhere, but the sports team is a good idea. Volunteering, hobbies, anything like that can help you meet new people. You just have to put yourself out there and talk to people.

Hi V.V.,
I can understand where you're coming from, as I had deleted my accounts in the past and came back and realized it had given me a new wave of anxiety. I tend to compare myself to other people and think I'm not good enough, or I just spend too much time aimlessly scrolling through posts.
Have you ever tried to find some meetup groups in your area? I've had some success with those. You can choose the events or outings you would like to go to, and you can meet some new friends that way.
I think if social media is causing more issues than I think it was a good idea to delete your accounts. If you want to add some people back that's fine, but atleast you can sort of control who you add and don't want to add to social media.
Hope this helps.

Social media isn't worth it. It's all vanity. You're right to delete them.

You know when social media gives me anxiety? When in conversation. It's got a lot to do with my abandonment issues too though, but seriously.

I read too much into text and when my friends reply a little off-ish, I start panicking and start acting like an ******* to them, whilst they weren't trying to mean any harm. I keep doing this to protect myself because I don't want them to leave me. In the end, my anxiety will blow up and the friendship will end anyway.

That's how social media gives me anxiety. I don't really care about people going out or whatever... Most people I talk to actually hate going out but do it because they feel like they have to, lol.

Rainbows said:
You know when social media gives me anxiety? When in conversation.

I totally get this. For me, it's just being in the interaction can be quite nerve-wrecking, sometimes I might be good at hiding it but jeez louise if you knew what my heart rate's like during those moments, lol.

Latest posts

Back