What should I say in a Job Interview?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthless_loser

Reaction score
I am a 27 year old NEET and I have never had a job before.
I also don't have any job skills and I haven't really learned that much.
I have been looking for a means of employ for the last few days but have found nothing I can do because they are too far away and I have no car or drivers license anyway.

If I apply for a job, entry level no experience required, I will probably be asked the question
"Why haven't you done anything the past 10 years?"

I don't know how to answer that question other than:
"I didn't want to work because I was afraid of ending up like my parents.  Angry, bitter drunks who worked their asses off and have nothing to show for it."

Any suggestions?

Hi W-L,
maybe if you thought of something to add to that statement, like why you now feel that you are capable of committing to some kind of work, to clarify that you have had a change of heart.
Sorting that out in your head might help you to come across as eager to make a start.
Just a thought

What is public transportation like where you live? Can you get by without using a car?

You could turn that answer you gave above into something a little more positive: "My parents haven't been the best role model in terms of a career and working. I want to prove to myself and my parents that working for a living doesn't have to be a miserable, soul-sucking exeperience like theirs has been. I am ready to work hard and learn as much as I can, improve my skills, and be my best every day."

And yes, same question as above: options for public transport and maybe there's some help in your area for people looking for work. They often deal with resumes, coaching, job searches, etc.

ringwood said:
You could turn that answer you gave above into something a little more positive: "My parents haven't been the best role model in terms of a career and working. I want to prove to myself and my parents that working for a living doesn't have to be a miserable, soul-sucking exeperience like theirs has been. I am ready to work hard and learn as much as I can, improve my skills, and be my best every day."

And yes, same question as above: options for public transport and maybe there's some help in your area for people looking for work. They often deal with resumes, coaching, job searches, etc.

I like that. That's pretty good.

I would suggest to just be honest about it. If you feel like you finally grew up, and are taking the steps to be independent and accomplish things on your own, no matter how small they may seem, then saying that might help you out. You'd be surprised how being open about your feelings and your intentions can allow someone to see your potential in what they may be looking for. I was honest, and I actually enjoy my job. I now work with people I can laugh with, and we still get our work done.

worthless_loser said:
I am a 27 year old NEET and I have never had a job before.
I also don't have any job skills and I haven't really learned that much.
I have been looking for a means of employ for the last few days but have found nothing I can do because they are too far away and I have no car or drivers license anyway.

If I apply for a job, entry level no experience required, I will probably be asked the question
"Why haven't you done anything the past 10 years?"

I don't know how to answer that question other than:
"I didn't want to work because I was afraid of ending up like my parents.  Angry, bitter drunks who worked their asses off and have nothing to show for it."

Any suggestions?

How have you not had a job at all so far? Who supports you? Have your parents carried you all this time?

That is a tricky question to get around, even when you are out of work for a year or two people will question it. I've always been honest, its better than making something up because you eventually get found out.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think these are pretty good and I will try them but just to clarify for some things

1. I live in a rural area so no public transportation, I do have a bike though.
2. Yes, my parents support me. And I am very ashamed of that.

I've been reading your posts and thinking about your situation.
So you live in a rural area......? Knowing how to drive a car and having a drivers license would seem to be kind of essential. It's also a common rite of passage in growing up.....most people learn how to drive when they're 15 or 16, something like that? At your age I'd suggest you seriously consider acquiring that basic living skill before any more years pass.
It could lead to other things.....some useful social contacts, picking up some self confidence, taking a step to living a more functional life.

I'd encourage you to take a few risks, try and be a little gutsier. If you gotta start with small steps then do that and work your way up to more ambitious goals.

constant stranger said:
I've been reading your posts and thinking about your situation.  
So you live in a rural area......?  Knowing how to drive a car and having a drivers license would seem to be kind of essential.  It's also a common rite of passage in growing up.....most people learn how to drive when they're 15 or 16, something like that?  At your age I'd suggest you seriously consider acquiring that basic living skill before any more years pass.  
It could lead to other things.....some useful social contacts, picking up some self confidence, taking a step to living a more functional life.

I'd encourage you to take a few risks, try and be a little gutsier.  If you gotta start with small steps then do that and work your way up to more ambitious goals.

Yup. Get your license at least.

If you live in the  United States and you don't have a license then you are just making your life exponentially more difficult. I would make that a priority over everything else.

And then if you still cant find a job I'd suggest travelling to the nearest big city and working for a taxi service. Rent the taxi by the day until you can afford your own newer car. Then either stick with it or use your car for uber. If you won't want to uber then worst case, now you have a car and a license. At the same time keep applying for jobs. When they ask about employment in the interviews you can say you drive a taxi.

Don't rely on the world to make it easy for you. Don't use your roadblocks as excuses. Your situation isn't set in stone. You CAN actually do things to improve your chances. If you're desperate enough you will find a way to make things work.

worthless_loser said:
Thank you for the suggestions. I think these are pretty good and I will try them but just to clarify for some things

1. I live in a rural area so no public transportation, I do have a bike though.
2. Yes, my parents support me. And I am very ashamed of that.

Use that feeling of being ashamed of it, because I can relate to that feeling of not being able to contribute, to motivate yourself to put yourself out there and get something. It's possible. We just each have to find our ways.

"Why haven't you done anything in the past 10 years?"

The question assumes that you did not do anything. Is that true? 10 years is such a long time, surely you can name something positive that you did. Maybe you helped a neighbor accomplish something, maybe you traveled somewhere on your bike and something interesting happened to you there, or maybe you stayed home a lot and did interesting things on your computer.

Think back to when you were in school and what subjects you were good at. If you had a tough time in school, keep searching your memories until you can list a few activities or events that went right, or partially right. These are your strengths that you can list on a resume and mention in a job interview. You think you have no skills, but to get hired, you have to convince yourself and your employer that you DO have skills (such as English language proficiency) and that you can learn new skills if you are given the chance. I always write "I learn fast" in my cover letter. It's true, and it convinces the employer to give me a chance.

Regarding transportation: Cars are EXPENSIVE. Driving is hard, tiring, and DANGEROUS if you don't have a good teacher to show you how to drive safely. My advice: you have a bike, use it to get as far as you can go. You'll turn into an athlete from cycling long distances every day, and people will be impressed. How do your parents commute to their jobs? Maybe they can give you a ride, or know of someone who can.

Ever thought about self employment maybe in something your interested in/passionate about.You could get some training with like minded people or doing a course in setting up your own business.Doesn't matter if your earning small profits at the beginning at least you feel some achievement and if it doesn't work out at least you have a good positive to put on your c.v.Start out small don't spend too much or blow loads of dosh on equipment.I did this at around your age and although was slow at first I can now pay all my bills at least.But important to start at something your interested in which I find keeps you motivated.As mentioned before look back to when you were young and what you were interested in.Hope this helps.......

Latest posts

Back