My "friends" always lie to me.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpion

Reaction score
Every time I ask even one of them if they want to hang out, there's always an excuse, then they post a picture of them all hanging out an hour later. Every time. We were all friends, so I really have no clue what I did to make them avoid me. They were my only friends and without them I feel empty and worthless. 

The only reason I can think of is when I joked with the notoriously "confident" and "leader-ish" one about her flirting with someone and she took it way too seriously. But that's not a reason to turn a whole group of people against me, is it?

The last time I did get to hang out with them, I was left out. None of them wanted to talk to me, and I had to walk behind them to fit on the sidewalk. Apparently they planned to see a movie beforehand that played thirty minutes after I came to hang out. I wasn't informed, had no money to go with them, and had to leave. I felt awful and tried to talk to them about it, but nobody wanted to hear it. That's when they started ignoring me.

As far as I know, I don't have anybody. Does/did anyone have "friends" like this and how should I deal with it? It makes me feel like garbage.

Welcome to the world of humanity.

What you described is not uncommon. It is part of a strong social behaviour called conformity. I come across it many times and it challenges me to stay true to myself regardless of what the group decides to do. 

It basically works like this, if a group leader, or a few group members, change a previous plan to something else, there is a good chance that others will compromise their own integrity and go along with the decision. It only needs 3-5 people to swing a small group to conform to the new decision, even if that decision is a bad one. The conformer fear being judged unfavourably by their peers (by those that changed the plan, and by those who have conformed). Many groups, under the influence of conformity, have made some extremely bad decisions, especially against humanity.

Try to find what your ethical principles are, be aware of them, and if a group goes against them, be prepared to stand alone. If not, you will end up conforming and losing your own inetgrity of being an authentic human being.

Being alone has some really good points. Staying authentic and true to yourself is one of them. But the funny thing is, most of the conformers know that the one who stood alone, with good ethical principles, is more true than themselves.

I ride with a group of cyclists regularly. Now and again conformity arises where changes occur within the ride itself. If I see no reason for the change, and it was purely to follow a leaders whimsical decision, I won't conform. I simply stick to the original plan. Meaning, I often end up riding alone. I rather be alone with my integrity intact than to follow a group with resentment. Later when we meet at the usual cafe, I often can see, in some of them, their regret for not riding with me.

"reason to turn a whole group of people against me"
History shows that groups of people turn against each other for all sorts of nonsensical reasons, and sometimes for no reason at all, other than the fact that they feel threatened.

A mature person would have been able to explain something like "you really hurt my feelings with that joke" and given you a chance to apologize and make up for it.

It sounds like your friends have turned into bullies, purposefully excluding you and trying to make you feel worthless. In a way, it's good that they have shown their true colors - now you know they are not the supportive people they initially appeared to be. You can cope by saying to yourself, "Thank goodness I am not friends with them anymore, they turned out to be mean people." Don't let yourself feel inferior to them either! You are clearly superior to them, because even you didn't like one of your friends or got offended by something they said, you wouldn't do what they did.

Just out of curiosity how old are you? This sounds like high school behaviour to me. Been in that position before but it was over a bunch of teenage drama. There isn't much you can do except find some new friends to hang out with.

Latest posts

Back