Hermits and Hermitages in pictures

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tranquil

Reaction score
Images of those who prefer to be alone.

6xGQZUb.jpg

This woman lives alone and regards herself as a hermit. Like many city style hermits, they sustain themselves by some sort of self-employment. Most take on a creative outlet. She is a watchmaker specializing in building and repairing clocks.

cIcKU1m.jpg

For something compleyely different. This person lives in the wilderness and turned a cave into a home

INsFKrF.jpg

Feel free to add an image along these lines.

One of my favorite Hermit stories - the hermit of Manana Island. 

<Ray purchased 7/10 of Manana Island for $75 and never allowed the Coast Guard to park their boats on that side of the island again. He moved onto Manana and commenced building a cottage with driftwood that he found. Monhegan residents also donated their surplus building materials to him.

Ray built an independent life for himself on Manana. He would walk along the island, gazing out to sea, contented with his life.  He brought a herd of sheep over to the island and a very large goose. They became like family.  He bottle fed one of the baby sheep that had been abandoned by it's mother, and it imprinted on him. He named her Eva. She followed him around very much like a pet dog would.  His goose also followed him everywhere.  People would ask him what his "duck's " name was and he quickly said, "Donald Duck".  Ray would just smile, knowing they had no clue it was a goose.>

quote taken from http://ekmillerfineart.com/blog/95105/the-hermit-of-monhegan-island

manan04s.jpg

morrowrd said:
One of my favorite Hermit stories - the hermit of Manana Island...

Great contribution to the thread. Thank you so much.

Funny about the goose, for I had one too, from an egg. Mother goose disappeared, but found one egg. Gave it to our hen who was sitting on her eggs. The goose egg, oddly enough, hatched at same time as the others. So goose chick was raised by mother hen. When the chicks were old enough to leave the hen house, they went everywhere with mother hen. Later that day, they all wondered near the dam. Goose went straight into the water and started swimming about have a whale of a time. Mother hen freaked out, fretting and pacing back and forth along the shore. Poor mother hen thought her baby would drown. I had to herd the goose out of the dam to calm the hen down.

Then one day we got a rooster (old one died). It soon mounted mother hen, Daffy (the goose, now fully grown) thought rooster was attacking mother hen. Daffy ran full speed and head butted the rooster. Rooster rolled a few times in the dust before Daffy repeatedly jumped up and down on the rooster. had to scare Daffy away before rooster got killed. The rooster no longer ruled the roost. . . One day Daffy flew away with others on a migration route, never to be seen again.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/why-are-so-many-people-in-scotland-living-alone-1-4522602

Probably the wrong thread but an interesting read non the less . It appears living alone is not as rare as one may think . In fact it is more a trend within wider society . Even with younger generations I would say people live more isolated lives which could be a bye product of people having far smaller families /lower birth rates than previous generations . To take Japan as an example , their birth rate is barely 1 child per female making it much harder for the young to find social groups ( a smaller group of peers in which to bond with ) .

Latest posts

Back