My parents are sick

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthless_loser

Reaction score
My mom's heart was racing and she had to go to the hospital.
She was stabilized but she has to stay overnight.

My dad has been drinking every day for the several years.
He has health problems too.  His doctor just recently ordered tests for it but I am afraid it may be too late.
He doesn't want to stop drinking or clean up his lifestyle.  I don't know what to say to convince him to.
I think he hates his life and wants to die.  It seems partially my fault.

I am scared and heartbroken.  I don't know what I will do without my parents.
I don't want them to die.  I want to help them but I don't know how.
I have been trying to figure it out the past few years but its just too hard.

I'm not ready to be alone.

Gav,

I don't know if I'm the best person to be giving advice. I live with my parents, no job, age 32. I'm enmeshed in the mental health system. I can't speak very highly of the mental health system; but, at the same time, I'm not sure things would be better with out it. It's a love hate relationship I guess.

My one thought to you was looking into a, 'life coach'. I'm going to keep this brief because, I really can't even help myself too much right now; but, you have to get out there. I can't hide from the world, you can't hide from the world. We can try; but, eventually one day, some one is gunna drag is kicking and screaming out into the light of the world.

Doing voulunteer work may be a way to get out there and meet people; but, it doesn't earn money, still it gets you out of the house. Having no skills is okay so long as you can move your body and do work. Lots of jobs require no skills and will train you. Anyway, don't give up man. Planning to kill yourself cause you see no way out, to me, is a horrible way to spend the rest of your life. I've thought that way and think that way some times; but, it leaves so little of life left to enjoy. It's like your dead already...

Try to do a visual map. Write it out on paper. Break everything into smaller pieces...

The goal is sustaining your own existence or at the very least finding some security in your existence. Then break that one into smaller peices. 1. holding down a job. Finding a place to live. Getting a car or a bike/ etc... Meeting people. Creating meaningful realationships. Getting/finding help. Finding joy in life, even if it's just a little, day by day.

Break it all down into smaller and smaller pieces and chip away at it. Hope to. Believe.

Look into a, 'life coach', if it's possible. Look into classes at college if you can manage that. Look into part-time or full-time work to start saving away money while you still do live with your parents. Craigslist almost always has people willing to rent out a room in there house with utilities paid for a reasonable price. Roommates can be found to live with. Shitty jobs can be worked. Promotions can be achieved. Higher-education and further learning can put you farther ahead.

If you are ******* serious about facing life and getting out there, ask the mods to delete your account and change your name on this forum. Check out the chat room. I hope you have the motivation and the desire to make things happen. Some times you can NOT do everything on your own. Some times you need help. Try to find it if you need it.

GOOD LUCK. DON'T GIVE UP. TRY NOT TO SPEND THE REST OF YOUR PRECIOUS BEAUTIFUL LIFE THINKING SOME DAY YOU'll JUST KILL YOURSELF. DON'T BE AFRAID TO LIVE! WE ALL HAVE TO DIE; BUT, NOT EVERYONE LIVES BEFORE THEY GET THERE. LIVE! SCARE THE honeysuckle OUT YOURSELF. BE AFRAID. LOOK FEAR IN THE EYES AND SAY, "SWALLOW ME WHOLE YOU ******* *******. I'M READY!" GET OUT THERE AND ******* MAKE YOUR LIFE WORK. BE THE KIND OF MAN A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN COULD LOVE AND COME HOME TO. WAKE UP EVERY MORNING AND IMAGINE HER FACE, IMAGINE HER BEAUTY (whatever that beauty is to you), AND SAY, I CAN'T WWAAIITT TO MEET YOU!

DON'T GIVE UP. DON'T WAIT TO DIE, IT WILL COME SOON ENOUGH WHETHER YOU WANT IT TO OR NOT. BELIEVE. HOPE. LOVE YOURSELF EVEN JUST THE TINIEST BIT, EVERY DAY YOU CAN MANAGE TO. FACE FEAR. SEEK HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT. DO IT MAN!

I've also always said, "one should be wary of taking advice from some one who doesn't follow it themselves." Do I take the advice I've given you? Maybe some of it, maybe not; but, there are some truths, in there I think. Some of which I'd rather not think about myself; but, life is beautiful. Fear can be soul crushing.

As for me, today I walked a mile to corner-store. I was afraid; but, I conquered that fear, even if just for today. so...

Good luck!

I know all i can do is leave this post. little help i know.... but I hate getting sick myself, hey who doesnt? plus they charge you so much at the hospital, like are they tryna save your life or steal your wallet? wtf. i hope your parents get well soon and sickness departs from them for a looooong time. stay healthy friend.

worthless_loser said:
I'm so sorry that you are going through so much right now. It is scary to consider the possibility that our parents may not be around forever. I pray the both parents will be okay and that their health will be restored. Try not to worry about something that has not happened yet. Unfortunately, sickness, disease, and even death are facts of life that all people will eventually face. I have lost both of my parents and it has not been easy, but I am learning to work through the grief each day. One of the things that has helped has been being on my feet and already living life independently on my own. What is your situation like? Do you have a job? How old are you? I have found that friends have become so important to me, but it has to be the right kind of friends. Perhaps, its time to be more intentional about developing healthy friendships, who can support you through this journey called Life. I have found a great deal of comfort in reading Scripture and knowing that I am never really alone and God has my life in His hands. I am so grateful to have a relationship with Christ. He brings me peace in all of my storms.

Thanks for all the advice. I am already trying some of it but I really appreciate that you took the time to give so much.
I have no money for some of the tips but am trying to learn something so I can get a job online.

I have no car but have a bike. I am going to practice riding it so I can get strong enough to travel on it daily.
I will look for volunteer work when I can start traveling.

Asking for help is my biggest problem. I have some strange fear of getting in trouble for speaking up.
I also don't want to be dragged off by the cops to some clinic and leave my parents stuck with the bill.
I am working on these things but its hard.

Latest posts

Back