BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS, too much books not enough time to read em

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
any advice on how to finish a good book, i have this problem where i'd read the first few chapter then lose interest because.... i don't computer, t.v., phone, music, other electronicky things to do. i need to finish the books i buy!

My advice to you is to not stop reading. When you pick up a book, don't put it down. I have often found that once there is a gap of even few hours, you can often lose interest.

Well, if you're not used to reading and are in a hurry to "get to the point", I wouldnt start off with 900 page classics. Start small, with something that really interests you. 50 pages, 100 pages, etc. Then, as you find yourself more in the mood for prolonged reading, up the size and type. Also, you can either create the mood for long reading time (no distraction, a nice beverage, blanket, etc) or you can also read only for short bursts. I used to only read in the subway going to work. maybe 20 minutes. 300 pages would last me maybe 3 weeks, but now in a week just reading to and fro, I can finish it in a week.

The last thing you want to do is MAKE yourself read. Itll feel like a chore and you wont do it as much. So learn to love what you have in your hands and take the time it takes to finish it, even if something else peaks your interest. You can always line them up and make yourself a list of reading with the order in which you want to go.
Lastly, personal thing, when youre reading a book, take the time to not just read it; SEE in your minds eye the scene of what you are reading play out. When you really take the time to use your imagination, you realize your holding in your hands a big, seven or eight hour, unlimited budget movie production that you can accelerate or fast forward at your leisure. Really take the time to imagine it adds to the overall enjoyment and interest.

Hope that helps!

Richard_39 said:
Well, if you're not used to reading and are in a hurry to "get to the point", I wouldnt start off with 900 page classics. Start small, with something that really interests you. 50 pages, 100 pages, etc. Then, as you find yourself more in the mood for prolonged reading, up the size and type. Also, you can either create the mood for long reading time (no distraction, a nice beverage, blanket, etc) or you can also read only for short bursts. I used to only read in the subway going to work. maybe 20 minutes. 300 pages would last me maybe 3 weeks, but now in a week just reading to and fro, I can finish it in a week.

The last thing you want to do is MAKE yourself read. Itll feel like a chore and you wont do it as much. So learn to love what you have in your hands and take the time it takes to finish it, even if something else peaks your interest. You can always line them up and make yourself a list of reading with the order in which you want to go.
Lastly, personal thing, when youre reading a book, take the time to not just read it; SEE in your minds eye the scene of what you are reading play out. When you really take the time to use your imagination, you realize your holding in your hands a big, seven or eight hour, unlimited budget movie production that you can accelerate or fast forward at your leisure. Really take the time to imagine it adds to the overall enjoyment and interest.

Hope that helps!

wtf! lol I cant even read your whole advice LOl. Thanks for trying tho

Get a Goodreads account and only have one or two books in the currently reading section at a time and do not allow yourself to read anything else until you finish one of those then you can move the finished one to the read category and add one more new book into the currently reading one. Doing this has helped me finish books a lot more consistently.

Latest posts

Back