Depression causes uncertainty

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzheng

Reaction score
Depression is AWESOME! (said no one ever)

I would feel much more comfortable and confident about my career choice and job prospects if I didn't experience depression.  It's hard to know what I am actually interested in, because when you have depression, the things you enjoy seem just as boring as everything else.  This really causes conflict in college, because you are supposed to be passionate about your field of study and motivated to become an expert in it.

Does anyone here feel the same way?  Does anyone else consider all the possible things they could do and think, "Meh, it doesn't really matter, because I'll be bored regardless of what I do."  Even though you know that isn't true and choosing the right career for you will make a big difference in how you feel for the rest of your life.

Perhaps you might find the root cause of your depression, otherwise you will have to take this burden everywhere you go.

Passion might comewith continued practice and experience in a field. I'm reading a very interesting book on the matter right now. Is called "grit" by angela duckworth, give it a try

Life causes uncertainty. I think everyone goes through that at some point in their lives. You just have to work at getting beyond the uncertainty, whether it's caused by depression or something else.
But yes, I agree with Unix. Find the cause of your depression and see how you can fix it. (No, it's not easy. Doesn't mean it can't be done)

Guzheng said:
Depression is AWESOME! (said no one ever)

I would feel much more comfortable and confident about my career choice and job prospects if I didn't experience depression.  It's hard to know what I am actually interested in, because when you have depression, the things you enjoy seem just as boring as everything else.  This really causes conflict in college, because you are supposed to be passionate about your field of study and motivated to become an expert in it.

Does anyone here feel the same way?  Does anyone else consider all the possible things they could do and think, "Meh, it doesn't really matter, because I'll be bored regardless of what I do."  Even though you know that isn't true and choosing the right career for you will make a big difference in how you feel for the rest of your life.

I am sorry you are struggling with depression.  It is tough to go through life not feeling passionate about anything and just feeling low.  I understand what you are feeling.  However, it doesn't have to stay that way.  Reaching out on this forum is helpful.  Know you are not alone and there are others who understand and care is encouraging.  Also finding the right counseling and medication can help in the healing process.  Do you see a counselor? Often medication is necessary to get chemicals balanced in our brain and then through counseling you can work through the process of what may be leading to your depression.  After 20 years of struggling, I have learned to give myself a break, find the things I can enjoy in life, journal my thoughts and pray over them. It takes work, but it is possible.  Stay strong.  I will be praying for you.  Please let us know how you are doing.  God Bless. Hugs!

You can also change careers down the road. It's not as easy as choosing the first one, but you're not locked in for life if you don't like your choice.

Latest posts

Back