A little positivity.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulysses68

Reaction score
I'm almost 70 and alone. Been on my own most of my life; had friends and loved ones die, failed at relationships, had addictions, weight problems, heart operations, being monitored for prostate cancer and experiencing the problems of old age such as arthritis and impaired mobility. I would have loved to have had a family but haven't and I've just one surviving relative. BUT - I won't lie down and I won't give up and I'm not going to waste my remaining years beating myself up over all the bad things that have happened that I cannot change. I have what I have and I am as I am and it's unlikely to change now - so I've accepted that and am getting on with things I enjoy and no longer worrying that I'm not loved, or successful or the life and soul of anybody's party.

I write this because many posts I read here are lists of woes and feelings of inadequacy as if one were somehow cursed by a dark god of doom for which there can never be any answer. Now I have been there so I understand how it is that one becomes obsessed with all those negative feelings of "why me?" and "What is the reason?" until it become self perpetuating. It's very hard, I know and there isn't any easy answer but if you keep on focusing on all the bad things or even using them to "explain" why you feel as you do, then you'll stay in that bad place.

You have to fight; you have to say; "Sod this, I've had enough of feeling like this; I have as much worth as any other person and I'm not going to be diminished, feel small or apologise and feel a failure, constantly anticipating the worst!" I've stared down the well; I've been to hell but when I read posts that just emphasise failure and uselessness and hopelessness; whilst it may help to have others say "Well I feel like that too!" it's not a recipe for improving one's situation. There are many reasons why I've had problems but there isn't a **** thing I can do about all that but most importantly I won't use it as an excuse not to try to improve things.

I stay busy. I've got a lot of interests and surprisingly have started to make new friends this way. Sure it was hard to go out and meet folk but worth it. The world is really quite an interesting place when you stop focussing on your own problems; for one thing you'll find others with worse problems that yourself - a paraplegic in a wheelchair really puts things into perspective. Helping others is a great way to help yourself too and very importantly is being open to being helped yourself and taking the advice of medical practitioners.

It isn't easy; it's damned hard; feeling depressed and hopeless is as much an addiction as anything else. You have to decide you've had enough of feeling as you do and stop looking for reasons to "explain" why you can't move on. You can, with help and you can get out of it. The world will never be what we'd like it to be and deliver the perfect personal solution we feel we deserve. Acceptance is a good beginning - not accepting that you are permanently damaged but accepting that the past is past; you are as good, worthy and valuable as anybody else and you are going to fight to prove it.

I've had some bad knocks but I'm back on the ladder. Might not, probably won't, get to the top but I'm going to have a **** good try and YOU CAN TOO.

I'm 65 and haven't been happy since I was 14. There are lots of reasons for that but I can't change them now. I don't have any viable choice but to pick up from where I am on my journey now and do better with the time I have left. Realistically, I'm always going to be regretful of the last 50 years, but maybe the way to look at things is to know now what not to do.
Your post was inspiring Ulysses. Thank you for it.

Hi Ulysses!

That's great. Nice to read your post. It will give courage to other as Mr. Constant Stranger accept it. Have a nice time always.

"Odysseus", I have nothing but admiration for what you think, what you wrote and how you feel. If my small recognition and thanks for sharing it plays an insignificant part in making your day a little bit brighter, then I thank you and wish you all the merriest feelings I can.
Good luck and keep fighting, my friend.

I'm glad my thoughts were appreciated; I had thought some might react by saying "I didn't understand!" But I do, I've been there. Today I went for my prostate cancer checkup - I've had frequent psa (indicator) tests, I've had scans and nasty biopsies (12 needles up yer bum) and it seems it isn't critical yet but it's "trending!" So - more tests in six months! I'm following the medical advice and eating the right stuff but.... there aint bu**er-all I can do about it! So! Just have to accept it and get on with things I enjoy - in my case mainly making things and playing my music. The Grim Reaper can sod-off; I aint coming yet!

Depression, loneliness; feelings of inadequacy and hopelessness - yes, I've been there, and one of the worst times was a total addiction to the latest "wonder drug" diazepam ( the stuff heroin addicts take) which I was told - at the time, was definitely not addictive. Apart from the feelings of anxiety, depression and despair, I remember going over and over in my head; "Why me? What is the reason? Is it this? Is it that? Because I did so and; Because such and such happened to me? I got frighteningly near the edge!

It is the nature of the beast that these internalised negative thoughts become an overriding obsession. And no-one should ever say; "Snap out of it!" because one is in too deep. But, as I said, you have to fight and you have to admit to yourself that you may be using your feeling of being "wounded" as a reason not to. Strange as it may seem an excess of sympathy may actually reinforce a sense of "victim-hood" - is that the right word?

I'm certainly not saying the journey out of the mire is easy - it really is one step at a time. It took me a long time before the flashbacks diminished. I'm not "right" and probably never will be but I've stopped worrying about it. I should have been rich; I should have been famous; I should have been loved and admired but.... sh**t happened, because that's life and when was it ever smooth or fair? I'm not over my problems by any means but I cope; some days better than others. I keep busy and continue to find life interesting, bizarre and actually funny - and to think I once thought I'd never laugh again! You can do it because nothing pisses off a demon more than being ignored. The past is gone - sure it still haunts - but look up and try and look forwards because the future is all we've got and it's a shame to waste it.

Latest posts

Back