No friends. Feeling lonely.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhupendra

Reaction score
Hello
I'm new here. I had been feeling lonely lately. Though I'm an introverted and shy person with some social anxiety I don't have much issue interacting with other people. I had acquaintances, classmates and colleagues but no friends. I just have difficulty making and maintaining friendships with other adults as I had never experienced any true adult friendship till now. There isn't anyone around who I could relate to or who could relate to me in this regard.
I'm single and unemployed at the moment. And work, relationship, having a family and kids nothing of that is going to change this lack of friends and isolation. If anything being in a relationship, getting married and having a family would only make it more difficult to cope. The relationship I share with my parents had never been fine nor my parents' marriage. And should I consider to marry someday and have a family, I've no reason to believe why I won't do it with a female best friend who'd be looking for the same rather than purposefully dating some stranger or marrying under pressure, as I know any traditional form of courtship or matrimonial arrangement is not going to work. The reason I feel is not appropriate and safe to discuss here.
Given the current situation a relationship or marriage is not something I'm even considering for now.

I've ignored the lack of friends for quite some years. Now having no friends and having had no friends as an adult is starting to become a cause of concern. I'm almost 32 and I've never felt this lonely and isolated before. In my early years like most other introverted people I used to believe that I don't need to actively engage in forming friendship with people. That friendship just happens when you come across others like you.  It never did. It was a bit easier earlier. Now each passing day and year it seems more and more difficult that I start to give up hope of finding and making any friends. I just don't know how to do it. When I'm out and I see people socializing with their friends or even a small group of close friends interacting with each other it all just seems very difficult.

Welcome Bhupendra! I’m sorry you are feeling so lonely.
You mention that you haven’t experienced adult friendship until now--- just wondering if there is more to that information? You have recently lost that friendship?

I completely agree that we must be emotionally healthy before we think about marriage, kids, etc. We can’t really seek fulfillment in other people and we must figure out what’s going on inside of us to make us feel so lonely. I’m sure it doesn’t help that you are unemployed, single and it sounds like maybe not that close to your family? Those are several really hard things going on all at the same time. Don’t stop reaching out and trying to make friends. I think we have to keep trying and not give up.

As we get older, it does seem harder to connect with friends or maybe we have different expectations than we did when we were younger. What types of things do you enjoy doing for fun? Interests? Maybe you could sign up for a new hobby or community class of interest and meet people that way? There are seasons of life that seem very dry --just don’t give up hope to find a community of people and fulfillment with life. Keep reaching out!

JAX said:
Welcome  Bhupendra!  I’m sorry you are feeling so lonely.  
You mention that you haven’t experienced adult friendship until now--- just wondering if there is more to that information?  You have recently lost that friendship?
I never had any friends as an adult. I already mentioned that.  So there is no question of losing friendship. By the way what were you thinking?

JAX said:
As we get older, it does seem harder to connect with friends or maybe we have different expectations than we did when we were younger.
It's not difficult to connect with friends. That's why some people are friends and others are not.

Latest posts

Back