Halloween

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many old cultural practices, we seem to have lost it. It became associated with degenerate levels of horror when I was a kid and now it generally isn't safe for kids to go out.

I remember as a kid going out and coming home with a pillowcase full of candy!
I love chocolate!

Heck yeah, don't have kids and too old to trick or treat but still decorate our house for Halloween and give out candy to the kids. I love Halloween.

We don't celebrate Halloween over here. It's a weird thing really, in some cities people do try to emulate the US version of Halloween, because it's fun for the kids, but generally it's disliked and frowned upon. At most you'll see small neighbourhoods where people make an agreement to participate, but it's kept very confined, primarily for the safety of the children and also, as I've said before - not many are willing to participate to begin with. It's a foreign influence and it's considered unsafe and most people just don't want to see it.

Basically, in pre-christian times we held a festival of the dead, which people call our version of Halloween (except they're not similar at all, so I've no idea why), then in XII century it became integrated into the catholic Allhallowtide. So as a nation, officially we only celebrate the Allhallowtide, but there are remote regions which still perform some variations of the original, pre-christian tradition and the neo-pagan movement came up with something that they call "The day of the Ancestors", which is loosely based on our original pagan beliefs.
Didn't expect a history lesson, did ya?

TL;DR: We don't.

Sci-Fi said:
Heck yeah, don't have kids and too old to trick or treat but still decorate our house for Halloween and give out candy to the kids.  I love Halloween.

Me too! My 9-year didn’t know what he wanted to be this year, so I made a hooded cloak for him - figured he can use his imagination from there. Carving pumpkins tonight because if we leave them out too early, the deer will eat them!

I try to a little, I like to watch a spooky movie around the time, last year I watched Cabin in the Woods and handed out candy. Sunday I watched Get Out, and that was a good spooky movie.

Well, 5 kids in my house so yes. But I would even if they weren't here. I will be dressing up tomorrow.

I took my kids trick or treating on Sunday. My youngest was a Pokemon and my oldest was Waldo.
Yes, I let my 17 year old go and every single person gave him candy. Although, that's probably because I go to my hometown and it's very small and they are understanding.

And last night, the PTA I am in held a Halloween Dance for the kids at the school.

I love halloween, but not because of Satan....lol (Don't believe in him, and not the holiday is about anyways :) )

My main happiness in this holiday is making my sons desired costume come to life. Unfortunately, this year he is with his mother and her boyfriend so I don't get to go out with him, but I did get to put his costume together and he loved it...so I have that to keep me warm tonight :)

I keep hoping some actual Vampires or Zombies will try to come out incognito on those night, so I can destroy them (preferably driving around in a 67 Chevy Impala).
Sadly... ;-)

I just watch a bunch of horror movies. That's how I celebrate. The gorier the better!
raw
:p

Latest posts

Back