So...I am depressed.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phantimos

Hey there dude/dudette

I am depressed. Like, can't get out of bed in the morning, trying to find a reason to live, no energy, no motivation. That kind of depressed. Also, sometimes I get these episodes where it gets really bad to the point where I can't summon the energy to move my body at all, accompanied by some really dark thoughts.

I also have low self esteem that I counter balance by thinking that I am better than everyone. I am naturally an aggressive and upfront person but I force myself to be docile, nice, and compatible. I've gotten so good at it that people assume that is who I am.

If you've made it this far you might be asking yourself:"Boy, these sound like somewhat serious issues, I wonder what happened to this guy to make him like this?". In my opinion, not much. I come from a good loving family, we had our issues but what family doesn't. I am not rich but I don't have to worry about money. I have great prospects. I am physically fit, intelligent, and, since I make an effort to be empathetic, quite likable. Then what the duck do I have to be depressed about?.

My therapist recently told me I was a fixer. I focus so much on helping other people that I let my self deteriorate. At first, it was nice and rewarding. Now I am just drained. I feel like everytime I helped someone, every time I absorbed some of their negative energy, more rot made its way into my soul. Not to mention the users and abusers that I gave a pass to. Giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them gnaw away at me just because I believed(still do) all people are good underneath all the layers of hurt.

Aaaaanyway, you have my thanks and sincere appreciation for making it till the end. Truly, thank you for taking time out of your day to read my rant. I hope it didn't sour your mood too much.

I hate this, I hate who I am, I hate who I am becoming, I hate.

PS: bush did 9/11(a cheers to anyone who gets it)

Hello Phantimos it sounds like you're good at introspection. As you continue to self analyze, I encourage you to forgive yourself as much as possible. You are not alone.
They say that when in the grips of depression to start small. Progress with small wins and build momentum.
Hang in there and continue with the therapy; you'll be fine in the end.

Sorry to hear how hard depression is hitting you. Maybe a change of scenery would be nice? I would consider packing up for a week and heading somewhere you’ve never been, somewhere completely different. See if the novelty of it replenishes you a bit.

Phantimos said:
Hey there dude/dudette

I am depressed. Like, can't get out of bed in the morning, trying to find a reason to live, no energy, no motivation. That kind of depressed. Also, sometimes I get these episodes where it gets really bad to the point where I can't summon the energy to move my body at all, accompanied by some really dark thoughts.

I also have low self esteem that I counter balance by thinking that I am better than everyone. I am naturally an aggressive and upfront person but I force myself to be docile, nice, and compatible. I've gotten so good at it that people assume that is who I am.

If you've made it this far you might be asking yourself:"Boy, these sound like somewhat serious issues, I wonder what happened to this guy to make him like this?". In my opinion, not much. I come from a good loving family, we had our issues but what family doesn't. I am not rich but I don't have to worry about money. I have great prospects. I am physically fit, intelligent, and, since I make an effort to be empathetic, quite likable. Then what the duck do I have to be depressed about?.

My therapist recently told me I was a fixer. I focus so much on helping other people that I let my self deteriorate. At first, it was nice and rewarding. Now I am just drained. I feel like everytime I helped someone, every time I absorbed some of their negative energy, more rot made its way into my soul. Not to mention the users and abusers that I gave a pass to. Giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them gnaw away at me just because I believed(still do) all people are good underneath all the layers of hurt.

Aaaaanyway, you have my thanks and sincere appreciation for making it till the end. Truly, thank you for taking time out of your day to read my rant. I hope it didn't sour your mood too much.

I hate this, I hate who I am, I hate who I am becoming, I hate.

PS: bush did 9/11(a cheers to anyone who gets it)

Nice introspection....you know exactly what makes you tick, and it seems like you have managed to figure a way to control some tendencies of your personality. I can relate to that particularity....aggressiveness and poor self control in certain situations where my personal space was violated....it’s very difficult for those of us who carry issues related to authority figures. 

You are right about the amount of energy that is required from people like us to function and pass as “normal” people. I don’t even watch tv anymore and try to not involve myself in highly emotional stories, movies or anything that may aggravate my inclination to get into depressive cycles. These cycles of depressive state are cyclical and temporary in their intensity. Some of us who don’t respond to medication, have managed to figure how to work around these episodes and we have trained ourselves on how to exit them or minimize the impact they have on us. 

Recognizing the fact that being around people who have overwhelming needs is counterproductive to your wellbeing is the start to identifying alternatives. I too love to help others in need, but I steer clear of any depression triggers.  I have mellowed a lot since when I was young, type A hyperactive with a short fuse personality and the bravado to go with it....what a fool l was...lol  by the way ....that wasn’t a “rant” hit me up if you need to vent about whatever.

Latest posts

Back