What is love?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheRealCallie said:
Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

YES!!! THANK YOU :D . I was waiting for someone to say that. 

A lot earlier than expected though but hey, I ain't complainin'

I think the idea of love that we're fed by our cultural programming is, more often than not, not love at all but in fact chemicals that drive us to mate and thus further our species.

Love by its very nature is unconditional. It only goes one way, and it never expects anything in return. Once felt, it never dies - for if anyone has ever 'fallen out of love' - I would argue that they were never truly in it in the first place.

Interestingly, the Ancient Greeks had a far more comprehensive understanding of love than we do in our supposedly 'advanced' society:

https://www.yesmagazine.org/happine...ove-and-why-knowing-them-can-change-your-life

Having one word for all the subtly different flavours of love seems like madness to me.

Jokeshopbeard said:
Love by its very nature is unconditional. It only goes one way, and it never expects anything in return. Once felt, it never dies - for if anyone has ever 'fallen out of love' - I would argue that they were never truly in it in the first place.

I agree with this.

Phantimos said:
TheRealCallie said:
Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

YES!!! THANK YOU :D . I was waiting for someone to say that. 

A lot earlier than expected though but hey, I ain't complainin'

It's the obvious response to that question.

Jokeshopbeard said:

What about unrequited love?. Is one side doomed to be in love without being loved back?

Jokeshopbeard said:
I think the idea of love that we're fed by our cultural programming is, more often than not, not love at all but in fact chemicals that drive us to mate and thus further our species.

Interestingly, the Ancient Greeks had a far more comprehensive understanding of love than we do in our supposedly 'advanced' society:

https://www.yesmagazine.org/happine...ove-and-why-knowing-them-can-change-your-life

Having one word for all the subtly different flavours of love seems like madness to me.

I would object to the highlighted text. So I've had several crushes in my 32 years of existence(none of which I've ever acted on). Once it becomes clear that my 'love' will never be reciprocated, the feeling slowly dissipates, and all the emotions-both good and bad dull to nothing more than an afterthought. 

Time heals, and time kills.

My dog wants to jump the Shiba down the street. It’s her body in heat telling her to mate and get puppies. That’s not love, it’s nature.

Love in human terms is a whole different thing.

Chemicals produced in the brain and body are what compel animals to breed.

It's amazing to me how many people get this feeling mixed up with love. That's just following your cultural brainwashing to a T.

I say fresia that; think for oneself. Love is the absolute pinnacle of the human condition, once one dwells in it and knows the true nature of it.

I'm sure someone will be along to refute the fact that love is, by it's nature, unconditional, very soon.

I often wonder by myself in my darker periods if love is not a social creation born out of the ancient impulse to co-habit for protection, part of a larger reflection I have on wether or not Man is a social creature by nature, or antisocial and just conditionned itself over the centuries...
....then I have a coke, maybe some ice cream while watching some Monty Python and say to myself I shouldnt think so much ;-)
I think love is a word that varies in definition to each person. I don't know of any love that is unconditionnal, save for the love of a child towards a parent, even then it doesn't necessarily remain such, depending on what happens latter. I like to think love is a feeling nurtured over time and possible only with great tending.

I think it's indisputable that man is a social creature; our ancestors roamed the planet for something like 55,000 years - always in groups - and the fact that we are so social and can maintain our groups and bonds is what has led us to be so successful.

However I totally get that, as a thought experiment, unconditional love just doesn't add up or make sense. I have debated the subject many times and for many years held this position.

But, back in October 2015, for whatever reason and blessing that befell me, I discovered it. First for myself, then my closest people, then outwards and outwards until I found that I had the capacity to feel it for every living thing. I can hardly argue any longer with what I experience, so my stance in debate has obviously shifted to the other side.

I know I'm not the only one out there that knows it and can describe it, and I also know the vast majority would dispute with me its existence.

Alas.

Jokeshopbeard said:
I think it's indisputable that man is a social creature; our ancestors roamed the planet for something like 55,000 years - always in groups - and the fact that we are so social and can maintain our groups and bonds is what has led us to be so successful.

However I totally get that, as a thought experiment, unconditional love just doesn't add up or make sense. I have debated the subject many times and for many years held this position.

But, back in October 2015, for whatever reason and blessing that befell me, I discovered it. First for myself, then my closest people, then outwards and outwards until I found that I had the capacity to feel it for every living thing. I can hardly argue any longer with what I experience, so my stance in debate has obviously shifted to the other side.

I know I'm not the only one out there that knows it and can describe it, and I also know the vast majority would dispute with me its existence.

Alas.
Unconditional love?  Oh, yes, it exists. Except I believewemust be taught how to demonstrate it. I'm fairly certain we don't
naturally possess the ability.  At least, I didn't. I'm learning slowly, what it looks like and how to apply it both to my own
life, and to those around me, friend and foe alike.  Make sense?

I don't think one can demonstrate it in a manner any different from the one in which one displays any love...?

Feeling it though; that was what hit me like a ton of bricks. Happened in one night, although it took me a couple of weeks after to integrate it and figure out what had changed.

Although, this was after years of self-examination and reflection, meditation, reading, practising, living at Buddhist monasteries, etc.

I agree that it doesn't seem to be a natural aspect of the human condition, but an achievable one, and the most life-changing that I've ever known.

Self, friend, and foe alike... that's the ticket my friend.

Jokeshopbeard said:
That's because a 'crush' does not equate to 'love'.

As I said, it is more likely chemicals than anything else.

Are you suggesting that if it was love I felt, I would been compelled to act on my feelings? Because I can guarantee you I wouldn't have regardless.

Not in the slightest. Feeling a feeling does not guarantee that one will act on it, in any human, in any situation.

I am, however, suggesting that a 'crush' is to 'love' what cocaine is to enlightenment.

Latest posts

Back