Celebrity worship related to loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 150037

Reaction score
I do seem to put a lot of focus on celebrities.  I mean the proper ones who can actually act/sing/make you laugh.  Not these reality stars who are famous for nothing.

I read articles on parasocial relationships - and how these are often an outlet for lonely people.  I do somewhat agree that I find distraction in my latest actress/singer/movie obsessions.

Thoughts?

Celebrities are an obsession, period. It's why we have entertainment programs focused on them and their lives. I watch TMZ all the time, mostly because they poke fun at some of the celebrities and it's funny. You just have to remember that they are people like us and although they are in the lime light and worshiped worldwide doesn't mean they don't have the same problems we do. In recent years there have been more and more of them coming forward with their issues. Many suffer from depression, loneliness, all sorts of things we all do. They just have more money than most of us. They are good for bringing things to the media's attention and making people more aware of issues. The ones who use their status for good that is, not like some of these trashy realities stars who build their empire and a sex tape. That's just sad and sends a bad message to youth.

Yes, I agree that celebrities have their problems.  Robin Williams is a good example.  Such a tragedy - he was definately amongst the top five all time funniest comedians.  Wish I'd had a chance to shake his hand and tell him how awesome he was.

If you feel like it means you're lonely, then there's an awful lot of lonely people out there!

Sure that's partly it. But they exemplify awesome qualities that we can look up to, some of us maybe aspire to (I've given up on that long ago)_ I don't see any real harm in it. Just as long as you remember like the previous poster said, that their ability to act/play music/be funny doesn't necessarily mean they're a better human being than the rest of us. Publicists sell an image that's carefully put forward. The rough corners, which we've all got, are something you don't see till you know them.

Just don't fall in love with someone and start stalking them!

hewhowalksalone said:
I do seem to put a lot of focus on celebrities.  I mean the proper ones who can actually act/sing/make you laugh.  Not these reality stars who are famous for nothing.

I read articles on parasocial relationships - and how these are often an outlet for lonely people.  I do somewhat agree that I find distraction in my latest actress/singer/movie obsessions.

Thoughts?

I think that's valid. I am really obsessed with the Beatles, their history, their music, their interpersonal relationships with each other and their families, etc. I have been into them on and off for over 20 years (since Beatles Anthology came out in '95). I was a lonely kid with only one friend whom I didn't even LIKE (I tolerated her for companionship, as sad as that sounds) and they provided a great distraction for me in my loneliness. I got back in to the obsession with the band again last year (and don't get me wrong, I am genuinely interested in them and they're fun to read and learn about), and I think it correlated with my loneliness again. I think immersing oneself in a fandom (and the internet community that surrounds it, incidentally) is a way a lot of people form a replacement for real relationships.

I respect and admire few celebrities for the hard work they put into their profession. Worship? Nah. In the end they are humans.
One thing that really made me think was the Robin Williams story. He gave advices with his films and with some interviews on how we should live, on what we needed to achieve happiness but he committed suicide in the end.

I can totally relate to this. I used to follow the celebrity news alot a few years ago. I still love reality programmes like Keeping Up With the Kardashians and Made in Chelsea. I can understand the need to follow celebs, its a form of escapism and helps cope with the loneliness.

I love reading classic actresses bio's like Grace Kelly etc, I also love reading books that analyse fame. I am also fascinated by royality (much to my shame) i've read bio's on Kate.

I guess these stars lives seem quite easy and wonderful. However like some have pointed out, fame comes at a price. But yes all of the above helps me cope with loneliness.

I just wanted to add that i have celeb crushes that change every two or three years. I also follow certain actresses for a while. Mainly due to their lifestyle.

Latest posts

Back