Ingredients for success?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twiggy

Reaction score
What makes a person successful? And how is it maintained? I've noticed that some people just seem to have the golden touch, it's like they were born to be successful, it's like you can see their future, know that they will always do well - know any of these folk?  I'm not bitter, more interested in what are the ingredients, are they born into it? With wealth, financial or love and support? 

Those with money say it doesnt buy happiness, no maybe not, but it eleviates the stressors that come from not having it, the stressors that often tie folk up in knots, make it difficult to simply be and feel a life lived yes? We all need 'enough' money - fact yes?    

These people appear to get the right degree, or marry well, everyone wants to be their friend, they have a nice home, family, travel.  These things that appear to come to others have always seemed unattainable to me.  I think it maybe starts with from where you came, whether you had a good family maybe?  Which I never had, Ive always had to do it, whatever it was on my own, but then some people seem to step out of adverse beginings, turn it round and use it for growth and success. 

I never married, never even been asked, only had a handful of boyfriends and one partner, who didnt treat me well so he had to go, maybe this is why in part these things have been out of reach?  We like to think we can be self empowered women, but really, can this be maintained without the support of others? We all need a network of support right?  No one does anything completely alone do they?  As the saying goes, behind every great man there's an equally great woman.    

Is luck a part? Do some people simply have an easier ride?  Logic tells me we all expereince loss at some time, do these people just learn how to deal with it effectively and move forwards? Take from each experience or do some people have a much harder time than others? Feels like this, but is that true? Some people would argue we make our own luck, I'm not so sure, life can deal a different hand to different people for sure and it does not discriminate.

I'm one of those people who had to work hard to get to where I was professionally, but now I'm in ill health that is lost, I think my ill health has been mostly my own doing, by not taking the best care of myself for too long, and for trying to live self sufficiently, lean  on others as little as possible but there has been stress that has been out of my control also.  Is this where I went wrong? Are all successful people well supported?  I'm thinking that maybe so. 

While some seem to have this golden touch, I myself fall into the pattern 'everything I touch turns to...' sooner or later anyway.  Leaves me thinking what is it I'm missing?  What is it I simply dont get that others seem to? Why are these things out of reach? 

Success to me isnt really about having the big house and the 4x4, I kind of find it vulgar spending that kind of money.  Success to me is feeling content, its having a home and liking where this is, its consuming only what I need from the planet and no more, its about being, being free to be, making a difference to those whose lives I share, loving freely, doing what brings peace and contentment and always keeping the have to do list to a minimum.  Its having very little but at the same time also possessing the feeling I have everything - and yet this type of success is also so very hard to achieve, which I think is probably because I struggle with people sometimes. 

We can all spot the successful and the loser in ourselves and in others; so what are the indegredients for success?

I like you had to lean on myself too much. I also worked too hard professionally. For a while I was very successful, and then my health broke severely for it. I share your thoughts about how we cannot make it without support, or not even support, but at least without negativity around us dragging us down, distracting us, forcing us to have to fight even harder to manage. Being used, abused, neglected and so on...
I had an alcoholic father who was not able to care for himself even, I had two parents on disability, unable to care well enough for themselves, and even less for their children. I saw the danger of it early on but still could not manage to protect myself. I was in a relationships that became emotionally and at times physically abusive, and held me back from strengthening my own life. Thankful I got out of that, but wish I had sooner.

I wish I had healthy rolemodels, higher selfvalue, and higher standards that would have ensured I never would have gone down such wrong and destructive paths in the first place. Perhaps then it would have turned out better.

Some people simply have an easier ride. They have healthy rolemodels around them, they are born with healthier genes, and into an healthier environment where success comes easier and failure is more obvious to avoid. They stay away from bad people, they can spot them in ways we cannot. They have a resourceful network of people in their lives who give them great advice, warn them when needed, and provide opportunities..while others get abuse and neglect..

I tried so hard in my life to do the right things, I tried to figure it out, but the burden was too heavy, and now I am very physically sick. I could not do it all on my own. The one thing I do differently now when I have become ill is that I try to reach out to the community. Perhaps I should have done that a long time ago...but then one did not have an "excuse" to do so..

I analyzed many successful people and I have got the following formula:

success = (talent + willpower) * luck.

Luck is the most important part of success. Without luck all talents and efforts will be without positive result. Luck gives a good birth, good family, good acqaintances and good circumstances.

Latest posts

Back