Halo effect

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgill

Reaction score
the harsh truth is that many people are considered inferior by society and much of this is based on appearance over which we have no control.  i have found that the halo effect is a tremendous influence on how others react to you, and the reverse halo effect even more so.  it all comes down to chance & genetics and just as there are some winners in this area, there has to be an equal number of losers. 

good genetics in no way guarantees success but it does afford multiple opportunities to do so which those with inferior gene's will never have.  with good health being the #1 trait to have, good looks are without a doubt #2.  

this short video says it all imo:

I'm extremely familiar with the halo effect - though the video you posted is now unavailable.

The Wikipedia article explains it very well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

Pretty people are always right. They're often wrongly associated with a lot of positive qualities.
On the other hand, ugly people are always wrong. They're often associated with negative qualities - which has no basis in truth.

I suffer from this every moment of life when interacting with people IRL.

QuietDesperation said:
I'm extremely familiar with the halo effect - though the video you posted is now unavailable.

The Wikipedia article explains it very well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

Pretty people are always right. They're often wrongly associated with a lot of positive qualities.
On the other hand, ugly people are always wrong. They're often associated with negative qualities - which has no basis in truth.

I suffer from this every moment of life when interacting with people IRL.

strange that the video is not available any longer-it was so long ago i cannot even remember what it was.

i see from your other statements that you are also all too personally familiar with this extremely potent aspect of human nature.  i have found that often times, the people who are in denial of it are the one's who are influenced the most by it.  i had an interesting example of this recently when i was talking with 3 female friends.  one was trying to set up the other with a guy she knows and kept mentioning how handsome the man is. earlier in the conversation, the same women stated that she doesn't care anything about looks when it comes to men & dating.  when i called her out about the fact that she kept mentioning her male friends good looks, she was unable to make the connection between her very obviously conflicting thoughts and said, "i don't care anything about looks but this guy is so good looking".  if it were not so sad it would be comical.

Latest posts

Back