Christmas cheer...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Joturbo

I can't get enough of Christmas because:
I don't have much work on so I get a nice break
I get to go to midnight mass and see a friend I really like and this year an even bigger event before Christmas involving carols and all sorts of Xmas activities.
I get to stoke up my open fire which I've been saving wood for all year.
I get to see my miserable brother who hates it...I just love to wind him up.
I get to eat too much waitrose food and I sort  a varied selection of booze lined up on a table whether we drink it or not
Obviously see family ...we all seem to get on which is a plus.
Get the quiz like games out always a good laugh
I get top quality socks always very handy.
I get to go football on boxing day if there at home
If time I go for a blast on my bike...if it's running ok.
Explaining in detail how Santa only comes down the chimney for good kids and seeing my grandkids looking up said chimney 

What I don't enjoy about Christmas:

I don't enjoy all the chocolate I receive being eaten by my kids without them asking
I don't like the fact I never enjoy the cheeseboard cause I'm so stuffed
The massive all day alcohol induced headache.....which I'm cutting down on this year I promise.

How do you feel about your Christmas?

What I enjoy:
1. Getting a new movie to watch.
2. Family gathering.
3. The fact that my mum buys a ridiculous amount of food that we have to challenge ourselves to eat before it expires.

What I don't enjoy:
1. Actually, there's only one thing - the fact that my brother and sister take it in turns to have christmas with their spouses' families - so every other christmas, it's just me and my mother. Which is much better than spending christmas completely alone - but it's just not the same when we're not all there :(

hewhowalksalone said:
What I enjoy:
1. Getting a new movie to watch.
2. Family gathering.
3. The fact that my mum buys a ridiculous amount of food that we have to challenge ourselves to eat before it expires.

What I don't enjoy:
1.  Actually, there's only one thing - the fact that my brother and sister take it in turns to have christmas with their spouses' families - so every other christmas, it's just me and my mother.  Which is much better than spending christmas completely alone - but it's just not the same when we're not all there :(

Hi yea thanks for replying.Hope your Christmas goes well this year and you enjoy your new film :)

My Christmas has gone a bit pear shaped this year. I realise no matter how I dress it up my extended family only get on for the few times we see each other each year it's all a bit fake really. My brother has decided to invite them all to his house this year and after seven years of my wife and I doing all the food (and we all know how much work that is on the day) he's decided to not invite my brood ,not even on boxing day so the miserable fecker can sit in his chair ,watch his wife do all the work and then go off with some excuse he's got to build something or other in the garden.I'm not angry really just really disappointed he's upset my wife because she like me likes to see everyone together with the games an all.....ah well we're gonna give them the silent treatment cause you can't say anything because it just screws up the fragility of how our families get on :(.Anyway Merry Christmas  :cool:

This is a very thoughtful thread, and I've been pondering it since I saw it :)

Number one...I look forward to not driving and having a couple of weeks at home. :D

I'm also a bit of a mush, and a realist. Life rarely goes as planned. As much as I long for it, I prepare myself every year to not have family at home. That's okay - they have their lives. I know they love me and I love them.

I'm fortunate to live somewhere with all four seasons and snow. I look forward to a walk in the early morning and giving Puddins the barn cat some warm tuna and cream. I look forward to calling my children. I look forward to making a nice brunch ( any excuse for bacon AND some sausages with pancakes or waffles), and I look forward to some Christmas music and a fire.

I am an introvert, but I make an effort to call those I love and hold close to my heart.

I have a lot of empathy for those that struggle over the holidays. I believe there are more that do, than do not. I look forward to making the community school Christmas dinner and giving the donations to the local food bank. I look forward to giving homemade baked goodies to the neighbours and the plow truck driver that has to work on Christmas day(he's not with his family just so that I and my neighbours are safe.) I look forward to my one box of chocolates that I buy, and keep with me for the few days before Christmas, to give as a random act of kindness to a stranger ( usually someone in retail who looks like they need a boost). These things help my focus on the positive, and not dwell on the negative. It works for me.

I don't look forward to the reminder of how I wish life was different, but I do look forward to the reminder to be grateful. I don't look forward to how Christmas reminds me of loss, but I do appreciate that if I hadn't had love in my life, than I wouldn't know what loss felt like.

And .....yeah.....turkey. Egg nog and turkey :D gobble gobble gobble

Latest posts

Back