Work discrimination - personal experiences?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 150037

Reaction score
Does anyone on this forum have issues with being treated differently at work?

The people at my previous job were wonderful to me.  However the past four days of my current (temporary christmas) position haven't been going so smoothly.  

I feel a little bit of an outcast - the others don't really communicate with me or involve me in their conversations.  And the floor supervisor is a bit of a gardenia.  I've been told by family that some people don't know how to react to someone who wears hearing aids (plus it could be that I don't look as old as the others).  I think people perceive me as 'dumb' and don't seem to comprehend that, mentally, I'm just like them.

What are your experiences with work discrimination?

I'm Sorry you are feeling down... maybe its only because you are new there and they haven't opened up just yet? I really would hope people would not be as shallow to think that someone with hearing aids is dumb or that there is anything wrong or different about you!

Keep smiling, approach them, say hi... if they continue to not invite you into conversations, then screw them.... its their problem, not yours.

too many to share

it's been a constant lifelong battle for me

when people sense you are different, it makes them feel uneasy about themselves

and then...well...they dislike you

I left my job of several years in October. I was working for someone who only seemed to be happy when everyone was suffering, and she felt like she had complete control. I could write a book about the bullcrap from there, but it isn't worth the energy.

I hope that they warm up to you and realize that you aren't really all that different from them.

Oh man, try being a liberal, adopted, person of color from the ghetto who now lives in the most conservative part of rural North Dakota. There hasn’t been a day that I haven’t worked my ass off to prove myself to others.

Literally every job I have ever had, there's been at least one specific person with whom I seem to have some inexplicable conflict with. I never know where it comes from, never understand why, but it always exists. I'm not even a confrontational person IRL, I hardly talk to anyone, and I try to keep to myself.

I do feel like maybe I give off a certain vibe or something. And I do think people underestimate my intelligence because I'm prone to far-off stares and appearing aloof, or even misinterpreting what someone has said.

Actually, I had this at my internship and I found it a very weird experience. Everytime I've worked somewhere or whatever, people have generally liked me. They just didn't like me at my internship and didn't engage me in anything.

I faced work discrimination many times.
Many of my coworkers mocked and despised me.
Why? Because I was different.
They despised me because I was modest.
They despised me because I was "sad" as they said.
They despised me because I was mild.
Often my coworkers were rude, aggressive and intolerant people.
They could not and did not want to understand and accept me.

Probably you know, many Russian men are drinkers.
And many of my coworkers were drinkers.
For them, it looks strange to live in Russia and not to drink alcohol.
And some of them despised and rejected me because I am not a drinker.
They said: "Look at yourself, you work with us so long but nevertheless you are an alien here, you even do not drink beer with guys".
Some of them hated me.
Because of this discrimination I was forced to leave my job.

I don't recall being discriminated against at any job I've had, I've been discriminated against in trying to get a job. All I've had were a couple of bosses who were bullies, and one was a real jackass of a bully who liked to manipulate and toy with his employees because he got his jollies off it.

I've been aware that there is a clique and not wanted to join - which made work awful for the rest of us at times.

I think the thing here to note is you're new. It always takes a while to feel settled in a new role - for everyone of us.

Try not to give in and get involved in as many conversations as possible, sometimes it feels easier just to get your head down and focus on the work but this doesn't help hey.

Sometimes people just dont know what to say to one another and that's it, likely the case here, work colleagues are thrown together after all. Sounds like the ice hasn't broken yet to me.

Give it a bit of time. You probably really only need to make one work friend then you'd feel ok.

Twiggy said:
sometimes it feels easier just to get your head down and focus on the work but this doesn't help
Yes, that is right.
I tried to get my head down and focus on the work. And they hated me.
I tried to be useful. I tried to work more and more. But they hated me even more.

People relationships is a mystery for me.

Paul Bauman said:
People relationships is a mystery for me.

People are mostly useless.

Just fake aloof until you become aloof.

And never stop advancing.

Continue to work toward a position/career where you have "expert power" and people don't have to like you to need you.

This is the only way I see through my similar challenges.

Every ******* boss and every shithole work environment has been a driver behind advancing myself to escape.

We recently went through a major restructure at work, which boiled down to reapplying for similar jobs and one extended game of musical chairs with fewer jobs to go round.

I couldn't help but notice that most of the people who didn't make it through the process were middle aged socially awkward white males. This is already a very diverse workplace, that demographic is in the minority, but uiipper management clearly didn't think they were 'good look' for the place. Not anticipating much a future here.

ardour said:
We recently went through a major restructure at work, which boiled down to reapplying for similar jobs and one extended game of musical chairs with fewer jobs to go round.

I couldn't help but notice that most of the people who didn't make it through the process were middle aged socially awkward white males. This is already a very diverse workplace, that demographic is in the minority, but uiipper management clearly didn't think they were 'good look' for the place. Not anticipating much a future here.

It's going to get worse before it gets better, I fear.

Latest posts

Back