Alone and want to reach out, but can't

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostinmusic

Reaction score
Hello

I'm new here and would like to try and connect with people.

I struggle with social anxiety and I'm isolated. I don't have friends or contact with any family members. I'm struggling to stay in work, as I'm so socially awkward and feel like the weirdo nobody wants around, so end up leaving.
Basically I'm a mess  :club:

I'd really like to try and get out and meet people, but find it difficult to get out and do it as I'm scared to death. It feels nice and safe behind my keyboard  :)

Take care

*wave* 
I feel nice and safe behind my keyboard too. 😁
Good on you for reaching out.
Welcome! 🌈

To quote Micheal Jackson's song - you are not alone.

I have minimal family but to be honest - I spend a day at my brother's, then I'm glad to be back in my bedroom - embracing my solitude. I'm the same when I go on family holidays.

As for friends - I find it's too much work trying to gain other people's approval. Don't get me started on girlfriends. :( But, yes, you are not alone. Welcome to 'a lonely life' - where people can be alone together.

:)

hewhowalksalone said:
To quote Micheal Jackson's song - you are not alone.

I have minimal family but to be honest - I spend a day at my brother's, then I'm glad to be back in my bedroom - embracing my solitude.  I'm the same when I go on family holidays.

As for friends - I find it's too much work trying to gain other people's approval. Don't get me started on girlfriends. :( But, yes, you are not alone.  Welcome to 'a lonely life' - where people can be alone together.
Hi and thanks for the welcome.
I know that you mean about it being a lot of work trying to get approval from people. It's exhausting  :shy:

I can understand. When I was younger I had quite a few good friends but I always had to force myself to interact with them simply because deep down I really didn't want to be around people.  Being alone is where I've always felt safest.
Plenty of kind intelligent people here. I hope you find it helpful. Welcome!

Welcome lostinmusic, we are so glad you reached out here.  I also feel more comfortable behind a keyboard.  First it is helps get my thoughts out before interacting (reading what I write before sending it) and second it doesn't give immediate responses or actions.

I have recently moved and it is hard to find friends. So I understand about feeling alone.  I have found it helps to find common interests with others.  I have joined groups with activities I like.  Then we have something to chat about.  For me it is a group called English Country Dancing.  I also attend church and part of a small group.  I know it is hard to reach out and open up but we are designed to be social and interact with others.  We all crave that but don't want to deal with let down or hurt.  Please continue reaching out here.  We are here for you. You also might enjoy listing to this podcast.   I will be praying for you.  Please keep in touch.  Hugs and Blessings!

DeepTxWater said:
I can understand. When I was younger I had quite a few good friends but I always had to force myself to interact with them simply because deep down I really didn't want to be around people.  Being alone is where I've always felt safest.

Thank you DeepTxWater. If I could move into the middle of nowhere I would, but we all have to interact with people at some point. I'm trying to force myself out of my comfort zone, so it doesn't come as a shock  :)

lovetodance2018 said:
Welcome lostinmusic, we are so glad you reached out here.  I also feel more comfortable behind a keyboard.  First it is helps get my thoughts out before interacting (reading what I write before sending it) and second it doesn't give immediate responses or actions.

I have recently moved and it is hard to find friends. So I understand about feeling alone.  I have found it helps to find common interests with others.  I have joined groups with activities I like.  Then we have something to chat about.  For me it is a group called English Country Dancing.  I also attend church and part of a small group.  I know it is hard to reach out and open up but we are designed to be social and interact with others.  We all crave that but don't want to deal with let down or hurt.  Please continue reaching out here.  We are here for you. You also might enjoy listing to this podcast.   I will be praying for you.  Please keep in touch.  Hugs and Blessings!

Thank you for the lovely post, hugs and blessings. 

I couldn't agree more about the interacting with others. I've thought about trying jobs where I don't have to deal much with people, but I think it will make my situation worse. I've built some pretty high, thick walls and it's hard for me to trust people, but I really would like to again.

Thanks for the link to the podcast. I'll take a look.

I hope you enjoy your dancing and church group.

Hugs!

lostinmusic said:
Hello

I'm new here and would like to try and connect with people.

I struggle with social anxiety and I'm isolated. I don't have friends or contact with any family members. I'm struggling to stay in work, as I'm so socially awkward and feel like the weirdo nobody wants around, so end up leaving.
Basically I'm a mess  :club:

I'd really like to try and get out and meet people, but find it difficult to get out and do it as I'm scared to death. It feels nice and safe behind my keyboard  :)

Take care

have you got Asperger's syndrome

Hi Squidge

I don't think so. I have looked at the symptoms in the past, but just think I have a high level of anxiety.

lostinmusic said:
DeepTxWater said:

Thank you DeepTxWater. If I could move into the middle of nowhere I would, but we all have to interact with people at some point. I'm trying to force myself out of my comfort zone, so it doesn't come as a shock  :)

lovetodance2018 said:

I couldn't agree more about the interacting with others. I've thought about trying jobs where I don't have to deal much with people, but I think it will make my situation worse. I've built some pretty high, thick walls and it's hard for me to trust people, but I really would like to again.

Hugs!

I will be praying for the walls that hold you back from trusting people.  My husband has struggled with that for years.  It is not easy, but trusting God first helps with learning to slowly become open to relationships again.  Here is another podcast that might help with trusting again. Hugs and Happy Holidays!

lovetodance2018 said:
lostinmusic said:
DeepTxWater said:

lovetodance2018 said:

Hugs!

I will be praying for the walls that hold you back from trusting people.  My husband has struggled with that for years.  It is not easy, but trusting God first helps with learning to slowly become open to relationships again.  Here is another podcast that might help with trusting again. Hugs and Happy Holidays!

Do you think everyone is entitled to have friends , I haven't got any but I say to myself , if people don't want me I don't want them, they can all get stuffed.

squidge said:
Do you think everyone is entitled to have friends , I haven't got any but I say to myself , if people don't want me I don't want them, they can all get stuffed.

I think that is a complicated issue, for which there are no easy answers. I do know that there are unfortunately some people who would dismiss that idea out of hand, but usually they're the kind of person that have never had a problem with this, don't know how it feels, and don't care as long as they have theirs. These days, it seems popular for one group or individual who has power to use the word "entitled" to belittle or invalidate the thoughts, ideas, opinions, or feelings of another group or individual who is struggling.

I don't know if anyone deserves friends, but I think the desire to have friends is a valid human wish - not even just humans, but many living creatures - and I don't think anyone should shame you for feeling that desire.

TheSkaFish said:
squidge said:

I think that is a complicated issue, for which there are no easy answers.  I do know that there are unfortunately some people who would dismiss that idea out of hand, but usually they're the kind of person that have never had a problem with this, don't know how it feels, and don't care as long as they have theirs.   These days, it seems popular for one group or individual who has power to use the word "entitled" to belittle or invalidate the thoughts, ideas, opinions, or feelings of another group or individual who is struggling.  

I don't know if anyone deserves friends, but I think the desire to have friends is a valid human wish - not even just humans, but many living creatures - and I don't think anyone should shame you for feeling that desire.
My easy answer is yes everyone should be entitled to have friends , and i also think i should be entitled to have relation ships just like most people do and anyone who thinks I am not entitled to have relationships is an evil pig who has never suffered rejection all their life. People who think I am not entitled to things deserve to suffer the same fate as me.

TheSkaFish said:
squidge said:

I think that is a complicated issue, for which there are no easy answers.  I do know that there are unfortunately some people who would dismiss that idea out of hand, but usually they're the kind of person that have never had a problem with this, don't know how it feels, and don't care as long as they have theirs.   These days, it seems popular for one group or individual who has power to use the word "entitled" to belittle or invalidate the thoughts, ideas, opinions, or feelings of another group or individual who is struggling.  

My easy answer is yes everyone should be entitled to have friends , and i also think i should be entitled to have relation ships just like most people do and anyone who thinks I am not entitled to have relationships is an evil pig who has never suffered rejection all their life. People who think I am not entitled to things deserve to suffer the same fate as me.

I’m sure there are several people here that want to connect with you Squidge. 🌈
I don’t think it’s too hard to find poeple here that’s nice.

lovetodance2018 said:
lostinmusic said:
DeepTxWater said:

lovetodance2018 said:

Hugs!

Thank you and Happy Holidays to you too!

squidge said:
lovetodance2018 said:
lostinmusic said:
DeepTxWater said:

lovetodance2018 said:

Hugs!

Hi Squidge

It can be difficult to find similar people to connect with. It takes me a lot to open up and trust people.

Latest posts

Back