Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lonely because of your principles
(12-26-2018, 10:55 PM)Amelia Wrote: Sorry, I didn't mean to open a can of worms with my comment Sad

I don't think that it was you that got all self-righteous Smile
(12-26-2018, 04:34 AM)mgill Wrote:
the question is since humans have no need of flesh, dairy or eggs to thrive and be healthy and it is instead a mere palette preference, how can we justify harming and killing other sentient beings for what amounts to a momentary taste sensation? is taste more important that the entire existence of a non-human animal?

Fact is, we designated some species to be used as food source, is what allowed us to evolve. You can survive without meat, and it's your choice to live without it. 

not too long ago the idea that some humans were designated to exist to benefit other humans was used to support slavery. 

even if the consumption of flesh was a factor in our evolution (and even this is now considered not to be correct-instead it was the cooking of food which allowed for increased caloric intake and increased brain function) that does not mean that we should still be doing it today.

it is always a choice to harm or kill someone but when there are victims involved the question should be are we justified in doing so?  it comes down to the Golden Rule-don't treat someone else, regardless of their species, in ways in which you yourself would never want to be treated. 

Humans require  B12 for healthy neurological function plus the full range of amino acids for brain development. That's only possible with a plant-based diets through fortification and varied sources of plant protein.  It's worth mentioning there are no traditional/ancient cultures that are vegan for this reason. 

It's not much of a choice if you were living in the developing world and the alternative is to let your infant die from irreversible neural damage or your children suffer brain stunting dietary deficiencies.

Going vegan is a good choice for people in the West, but it's not strictly 'natural' and only possible because of where we're at in terms of incomes and food choices available to us.
(12-26-2018, 10:55 PM)Amelia Wrote: I don't have any problems dating non-vegans, nor do I have any problems with meat consumption itself. What makes sense to me is for the wor
I'm on board with that. I pay a premium for organic, pasture-raised, small-farm animal products - meat and eggs.
I also refuse to eat farmed fish and will only consume wild-caught.
The eggs I buy are from a company called "Happy Eggs" that tells the story of how their chickens are raised on small farms completely free-range pasture-raised eating a totally natural diet.
The thought of animals being abused literally sickens me.
You know, being vegan isnt a principle, it's a choice in lifestyle. Plenty of ways you can help preserve animals besides not eating them ( whch besides of it, has practically zero impact on the number of animals slaughtered daily anyway. You'd need to blow up Cargill factories for that to happen).
Not harming animals is the principle here. Veganism is open to interpretation ( with crazy terrorists morons on both sides of the argument) but the principle of not harming animals isnt, I believe is different.
No offense to my friends the Bambi's mom lovers, of course ;-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Married but lonely. So1itaire 16 662 03-13-2019, 12:05 AM
Last Post: So1itaire
  suicidal and lonely after losing first love michaelmyers24 23 4,052 03-12-2019, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Enpatsu No Shakugan
  Scams That Prey On the Lonely Minus 72 79,704 02-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  Am I lonely? Obunga 7 494 01-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Last Post: RexieSF7
  Married and Lonely seeking friends tangy002 47 81,279 01-16-2019, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Itschucky
  Feeling Lonely and Lost / Advices unknownj 10 792 01-13-2019, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Know One
  True or False: Lonely people flock to the Internet Azariah 10 1,745 12-16-2018, 03:22 AM
Last Post: ardour
  Happy, but lonely jessee22 9 761 12-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  You ever felt so lonely that you cried? Saulgoodmanfan 33 2,775 11-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Last Post: MagicalMaryann
  I am lonely, and it's my fault Phantimos 12 1,407 11-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Fustar