Going to places alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glowgirl

Reaction score
Hi.

I've got a dilemma.  There's a folk festival on near me that I've never been to and I would love to go.  But the thing is I've got no-one to go with me and I'm not totally sure that I'd enjoy it on my own. It's a camping deal and I've never camped before - I'm a bit out of my element there. But mostly I'm worried I would feel self conscious as a 48 year old woman on my own. 

Navigating cities on my own has never worried me, but certain other things, like going to concerts, do. The self consciousness can mean that you don't enjoy it that much. 

I know it comes down to whether I really want to go, but what does everyone else think?

I've gone to a bunch of concerts by myself and still had a great time. I'd recommend you go, even if it's by yourself. Maybe look up some camping tutorials online before hand so you'll know how to do things like set up your tent, if you need some help when you're there don't be afraid to ask someone for help. From my experience camping people are usually pretty nice and helpful, who know's maybe you'll be able to make a friend too :)

I don't go places alone for personal safety reasons. But if I could be 100% certain that I won't be mugged, or kidnapped, or beaten up for the fun of it, then I'd have no problem doing things by myself.

Glowgirl said:
Hi.

I've got a dilemma.  There's a folk festival on near me that I've never been to and I would love to go.  But the thing is I've got no-one to go with me and I'm not totally sure that I'd enjoy it on my own. It's a camping deal and I've never camped before - I'm a bit out of my element there. But mostly I'm worried I would feel self conscious as a 48 year old woman on my own. 

Navigating cities on my own has never worried me, but certain other things, like going to concerts, do. The self consciousness can mean that you don't enjoy it that much. 

I know it comes down to whether I really want to go, but what does everyone else think?

I'm always concerned about that as well. That said, I think if I had gone to all the things I've wanted to go to over the years, despite being alone, I could not possibly have been worse off than I am now. At worst, I would have done more things and seen more places.

Glowgirl said:
Hi.

Best not to overthink things, getting out of your comfort zone often requires a leap of faith! You could get one of those easy erect pop up tents- get it out of the bag throw it voila! or alternatively get a fiendishly difficult tent and within minutes someone will be helping you. I admire the 'not so young' who get out there and do there thing as most people do. Here in the highlands theres many nomadic travelling types of both sexes who aint spring chickens but refuse to become sedentary and live there lives to the full. If 'self consciousness' starts butting in just outrun it and leave it behind. You said you would love to go- theres your answer!

I would go! Especially if its a weekend thing where you will be camping and such, you will most certainly get to know people!!! What band will you be seeing?

Just go for it! You will regret it if you don't bother. I do know how you feel - I usually never go anywhere by myself, especially a place like a concert where people usually go with other people. I feel so conspicuous when I'm alone in a situation like that. But I finally conquered that fear - I love the band Pink Floyd and there was a tribute band recently playing in the town where I live (hey! Can't get the real thing, a tribute band is next best...). Anyway, my hubby had just had back surgery and I don't really know anyone else to ask. I almost chickened out, but at the last minute I decided to go and had a fantastic time! Loved it. Just taking a little leap of faith and having some confidence in yourself goes a long way....:) Keep us posted! I hope you go. :)

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

The festival (Woodford folk festival) has a pre-erected tent city so it might not be so bad.  I might just book one night and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back