Hello

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogMom

Reaction score
Hello lonely people.
 I live by myself with my 3 dogs and while they definitely keep me company, I feel isolated from most humans. I never was good at staying in touch with friends I remember having in high school or college, and I have a very difficult time relating to other 29 year old ladies because the 1 or 2 people I tried to create friendships with have married and are having children, things I dont share an interest in.
I am dating a man who lives nearly an hour away so we see each other when we can. At work the other women find it difficult that I'm not a very emotionally available person, which they very much are - chatters and sharers and huggers. I joke around with them but I prefer not to be touched and am often quiet. They seem to take offense to it more than understand its just how I am.
That was a longer intro than I intended. Just feeling alone.

Looking forward to finding out more about your personal thoughts and opinions on the many discussions and topics. Welcome to the forum.

Hi.

It sucks that we lose our friends due to life events. I started having kids and lost my friends.

Who gets to touch us is up to us and nobody else. I can see how it could be tricky inducing the other women at work to respect your boundaries without them getting the wrong idea and feeling offended.

Hi there, I'm new here as well!  I can relate to not being the "hugging and sharing" type at work, too.  For one, I'm reluctant to share too much of myself with colleagues because it can really get you in trouble.  I don't think it's appropriate to get too emotionally involved with coworkers most of the time (there are exceptions when two people who work together can be great friends, but it's RARE).  I think some of the middle aged "mom" types at my job don't really get it.  I want to be friendly, but really I'm there to make a living, not to shmooze and socialize.  I just don't like "small talk" type conversations.  I think it's hard for those women at work to understand that I'm not trying to be rude (although I've learned to "fake it" just enough to get by)  

I can also relate to not wanting children.  I never have wanted them, and still don't.   One "perk" of having kids that I know I'm forfeiting is having built-in social support as you age (provided the kids like you and stay in touch/visit regularly, of course).  Looking back to my grandparents, they got most of their social support from their kids and grandkids, not from their own peers.  I don't necessarily think that's super healthy, but I do live in the Midwest and it's pretty normal of people who were alive during WWII to just stay put where they are and have their social life revolve around their children as they get older.  But honestly I know I would be the worst parent, and I just have no interest.  It's a choice that I know comes with perks and sacrifices, and having the potential of a built-in social unit is a sacrifice I know I'm making.  But I also love the freedom it affords me.

Welcome to the board, and I look forward to seeing your posts! :)

hewhowalksalone said:
Looking forward to finding out more about your personal thoughts and opinions on the many discussions and topics.  Welcome to the forum.

That's a very nice thing to say. I just wanted to let you know that. I'd have given anything if someone would have said something similar when I first joined. :)

BeyondShy, my statement refers to everyone who joins the forum. I just feel that it would be robotic of me to say it to every single person - I don't want to appear insincere. I hope to hear more from you as well, obviously :)

hewhowalksalone said:
BeyondShy, my statement refers to everyone who joins the forum.  I just feel that it would be robotic of me to say it to every single person - I don't want to appear insincere.  I hope to hear more from you as well, obviously  :)

You wouldn't have said it to me because I joined before you did. I just thought it was a very nice thing to say to a new member in here. I am sure it will be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back