Hi everyone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurreyBoy61

Reaction score
Hi there - I saw this forum and thought I would give it a go. I'm in my 50s and live in the UK. I live in a nice place, with a wife and teenage son who I generally get on pretty well with (actually very well most of the time). I am still pretty fit and just about manage to play rugby (will be starting work as a coach in January after taking early retirement from my office based job of 29 years) . I do quite a bit of voluntary work too. So why am I here? Well, my world is pretty male dominated at the moment - opportunities for intelligent conversation are few and far between at the moment and at home the logistics of home life tend to get in the way. I would love to be able to talk about various things to people and maybe even make a friend or two. I've always found it difficult to make friends rather than just acquaintances and really struggle in group situations (my son is on the autistic spectrum so maybe a clue there) as well as being regularly anxious but am actually a pretty easy going person who generally gets on well with others. I actually really like the rugby side of my life as I find the physicality and egalitarian nature of this particular sport gives me a confidence in life that I find difficult in many other social situations. Actually any of the activities I engage in will help with confidence and self esteem.

OK that's me done - do you think this is the right place for me? 😁

Welcome!
This is a nice place to be, I’m sure you will find good people to talk to.
Rugby eh? What’s that like? I’m picturing a bear sized man wanting to get the hurting on. 😂

Jessicat said:
Welcome!
This is a nice place to be, I’m sure you will find good people to talk to.
Rugby eh? What’s that like? I’m picturing a bear sized man wanting to get the hurting on. 😂

Thank you Jessicat! Actually, I'm quite average sized  (less than bear sized anyway!) and too old to hurt anyone much any more! 😁😁

😁
So, what’s the rules of the game? Just plow your way thru walls of men and make sure you get some low hits in? 
Or is this one of those civilized gentleman sports? 
Would be fun to watch a game.

Well, like any ball game I guess the object is to get a ball (egg shaped in this case) from one end of a field to the other with the other team trying to stop you! In all seriousness it was a game I found when much younger that I wasn't bad at and let me feel part of something which had been difficult up to that point If you Google 'International Rugby' there will be a good few clips to look at. For the type that I play just imagine it much much slower, with more mistakes and less hitting! 😊😊

Feels nice to be part of something.
Used to play handball when I was a kid and when my coach left that club he asked me to coach an age 13 boys team. Lot of fun being part of a group and working for the same goal. And, looking at a team and trying to find weaknesses and strengths, matching them together to make the whole team better was awesome. Guessing rugby is a bit more rougher around the edges. So what’s the name of the different positions? 
You don’t have to indulge me if you don’t want too. Just a bit curious.
😄

Jessicat said:
Feels nice to be part of something.
Used to play handball when I was a kid and when my coach left that club he asked me to coach an age 13 boys team. Lot of fun being part of a group and working for the same goal. And, looking at a team and trying to find weaknesses and strengths, matching them together to make the whole team better was awesome. Guessing rugby is a bit more rougher around the edges. So what’s the name of the different positions? 
You don’t have to indulge me if you don’t want too. Just a bit curious.
😄
I don't mind you asking at all 😁

Basically the team is divided into forwards and backs - the forwards are traditionally the big heavy ones who do most of the heavy work and the backs are the guys who in theory run more quickly and score more of the points (although the top guys are all fairly extreme athletes these days) . There are a variety of ways in which the ball can be got to the other end of the field - you can kick it but the best way is to keep it in your hands - either carry it yourself or pass it to a team-mate - but you can only pass it backwards, not forwards. When you get it over the line you have to touch it down on the ground - this is known as a 'Try' and is worth 5 points. If you do this you can then attempt to kick it between the posts but over the crossbar - and this is worth another 2 if successful. If one team does one of a series of infringements then the other team can try to kick it over the crossbar and between the posts again for a score of 3 points - this is a penalty goal. The other method of scoring is to drop kick it over the crossbar in open play which is also worth 3 points. If the ball goes out of play from one team then it is thrown in again by the other side in what is called a line out, contested by the forwards . If it is dropped or passed forward by one side then the forwards form a scrum with the ball being put into it by the opposition with the expectation that they will win it back and be able to start playing with it again. 

A defending team will always try and stop the attackers by tackling them (basically grabbing them by wrapping arms around them anywhere from the chest down).

Really looking forward to being a coach and, as you say, building a team and trying to get the best out of the different players. When playing I feel like I don't have to worry about social pressure although the whole experience before, during and after a game does help a lot with that side of life  (if that makes sense?).

I've not seen a lot of handball but saw some when the Olympics were in London in 2012. It always looks like a very good, quick game to me. Are the rules similar to football? I'm guessing you are not in the UK as we don't play a lot of it here.

I hope you can understand my explanation - actually having to write something like that down is something of a challenge!
🏉🏉🏉😊😊

Aww.. Thanks for bothering to explain some for me and don’t worry, your explanation was good! 🌈
So what position did you play the most?
Yes, handball is a quick game, it’s all about speed and seeing opportunities. Usually a match lasts 2 x 30 mins. Both teams have 6 players out on the field and 1 goalkeeper. I usually played as the Pivot or as a Center Backcourt. A Pivot is the one behind enemy lines, trying to disrupt enemies gameplay. A Center Backcourt usually acts as the playmaker, seeing openings and reading the opposite team. Been so long since I have played it. Good memories.

Jessicat said:
Aww.. Thanks for bothering to explain some for me and don’t worry, your explanation was good! 🌈
So what position did you play the most?
Yes, handball is a quick game, it’s all about speed and seeing opportunities. Usually a match lasts 2 x 30 mins. Both teams have 6 players out on the field and 1 goalkeeper. I usually played as the Pivot or as a Center Backcourt. A Pivot is the one behind enemy lines, trying to disrupt enemies gameplay. A Center Backcourt usually acts as the playmaker, seeing openings and reading the opposite team. Been so long since I have played it. Good memories.
Thank you, I'm glad you were able to understand my note and thanks for the handball explanation - it's great that it brings back good memories. I was always quite quick so played in the backs - but now if I get the ball I can run 10-20 metres before looking for someone to pass the ball to before being caught - whereas a few years ago I could run the length of the field!

Yeah. 
Don’t we all feel our age at some point. 
Uhh.. think il try my hardest to stay young forever.
😛

Welcome to the forum

I’m not really a sporty type so can’t add much at the moment.

But welcome.

Latest posts

Back