Down for a good debate on these youtubers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mate

Reaction score
[font=Heebo, Arial, sans-serif]So I would say that I watch a fair amount of Youtube, though the Youtubers that I watch are all car and mountain bike Youtubers, and are very passionate about what they do. [/font][font=Heebo, Arial, sans-serif]And as most of us now by [/font][font=Heebo, Arial, sans-serif]know, Youtube can turn content creators into millionaires through ad revenues, brand deals, and sometimes the creation of their own businesses.[/font]
[font=Heebo, Arial, sans-serif]Recently my little sisters have begun watching Youtube, and are very into this large group of Youtubers, who (to the extent of my knowledge) have created two series' about hackers, one where they threatened to delete Youtube, the other about some 'doomsday'.[/font][font=Heebo, Arial, sans-serif]These Youtubers acting at times is quite shocking and as a teenager and and adult, you can clearly see that it is fake. Thought, for younger children, it is a lot harder to distinguish this. They are, every video, encouraged by these Youtubers to like, share, subscribe, comment, and buy merchandise to 'support the cause', in other words, make their money for them.[/font]

[font=Heebo, Arial, sans-serif]What do you guys think about these Youtubers??[/font]
[font=Heebo, Arial, sans-serif][font=Heebo, Arial, sans-serif]Feel free to talk about other Youtubers, am down for a solid debate[/font][/font]

I had this conversation with my youngest daughter, who seems to be getting way too much of her knowledge off of youtube at her mother's. Youtube was designed to be for entertainment purposes only. It is not Academia, content is barely filtered and not fact-checked and anyone with a webcam can post whatever content they desire. It's given rise to disturbing channels which deform reality sometimes to the point of lunacy, yet it's mixed in with very pertinent channels made by good intentioned people who seek to inform or entertain primarily but also make revenue off of it....
I feel its our jobs, as parents, to monitor the content our kids view and interest ourselves in their lives enough to warn them of the dangers of taking youtube literally. It's one of the cons of modern technology, with greater access to freedom of speech comes those who'd use for their own personal gain over the betterment of everyone. I'm no fan of censorship, but in certain cases exceptions should be made. Of course, young children purchasing merchandise should be out of the question, as they should not have access to credit cards and the like until they are 18 years of age.
I don't know. I have many issues with youtube. But its our responsibility to monitor that content. And talk to our kids.

Can’t say I think that these youtubers are a problem at all. 
I do think that it’s up to the parent to monitor any internet activity. Lots of kids got free access to it.
I know just how much scary honeysuckle that was one there when I was a kid, probably lots more now. So, it’s up to the parents what they allow. 
Sheltering them completely is impossible, just got to try I guess.
Anyways. Can’t stop people from posting what they want to. As long as it’s nothing too taboo.

Jessicat said:
Can’t say I think that these youtubers are a problem at all. 
I do think that it’s up to the parent to monitor any internet activity. Lots of kids got free access to it.
I know just how much scary honeysuckle that was one there when I was a kid, probably lots more now. So, it’s up to the parents what they allow. 
Sheltering them completely is impossible, just got to try I guess.
Anyways. Can’t stop people from posting what they want to. As long as it’s nothing too taboo.

I very much agree with parents monitoring what their children watch, and it is a big issue these days, as kids are just watching whatever they want, most of the time without their parents being aware of it. 
Especially with the content that I am speaking of, it is in no way scary in the way I assume you are referring to (horror movies/gory content). The issue that I have with it is that it is manipulating children into buying into a brand because they are young and have been convinced that something is going to happen to their favorite content creator.

Richard_39 said:
I had this conversation with my youngest daughter, who seems to be getting way too much of her knowledge off of youtube at her mother's. Youtube was designed to be for entertainment purposes only. It is not Academia, content is barely filtered and not fact-checked and anyone with a webcam can post whatever content they desire. It's given rise to disturbing channels which deform reality sometimes to the point of lunacy, yet it's mixed in with very pertinent channels made by good intentioned people who seek to inform or entertain primarily but also make revenue off of it....
I feel its our jobs, as parents, to monitor the content our kids view and interest ourselves in their lives enough to warn them of the dangers of taking youtube literally. It's one of the cons of modern technology, with greater access to freedom of speech comes those who'd use for their own personal gain over the betterment of everyone. I'm no fan of censorship, but in certain cases exceptions should be made. Of course, young children purchasing merchandise should be out of the question, as they should not have access to credit cards and the like until they are 18 years of age.
I don't know. I have many issues with youtube. But its our responsibility to monitor that content. And talk to our kids.
I very much agree with what you say. Though upon the topic of purchasing merchandise, this is not to disregard the fact that parents/grandparents can be very likely to purchase it for them. In my experience with my family, and other families, the parents and grandparents can seem very willing to purchase things for their children.

Though, at the core of this issue, and what I was trying to get to, is the fact that a group of adults have created a 'real life' series to make profit and continue their success because of children. And the only reason that it works is because young people are naive, and cannot see that it is fake.

There is always someone out there that is making money from others stupidness, loneliness, health problems, addictions and so on. There has to be a market for just about anything.
Think I’m seeing it pretty black and white. Everyone out there has to make sure not to get messed over, and if there is a child in the picture then the parent are responsible for making sure if it. 
How ethical it is for them to target children? I can’t see any difference between youtubers or someone wanting to sell toys, apps or whatever. Lots of commercials target children. 
I do see your point tho. 😉

Jessicat said:
There is always someone out there that is making money from others stupidness, loneliness, health problems, addictions and so on. There has to be a market for just about anything.
Think I’m seeing it pretty black and white. Everyone out there has to make sure not to get messed over, and if there is a child in the picture then the parent are responsible for making sure if it. 
How ethical it is for them to target children? I can’t see any difference between youtubers or someone wanting to sell toys, apps or whatever. Lots of commercials target children. 
I do see your point tho. 😉

Again, I very much agree that parents should constantly monitor what their children watch, and many Youtubers in interviews have always said that parents should be monitoring what they watch on YouTube. 
On ethics of targeting children, comparing toys with YouTube boils down to a psychological level. With toys, children are physically engaged in an activity, it often requires levels of thought and hand-eye co-ordination, and children often role play whilst playing with toys. Whereas, with YouTube, the only thing children have to do is sit in front of a screen and process the video they are watching. So, I would much rather support someone selling toys over YouTube based on this.

This all very much sounds like plugging pipe leaks. You're not adressing the problem, just trying to limit the consequences. I don't know what the problem is though.

Hazed said:
I don't know what the problem is though.

The issue is that are group of grown adults have came up with a scam to profit and create success off of young and naive children.

Hazed said:
This all very much sounds like plugging pipe leaks. You're not adressing the problem, just trying to limit the consequences. I don't know what the problem is though.

That comment made me think of this. 😇

[youtube]19IbrAmAxS0[/youtube]

mate said:
Hazed said:
I don't know what the problem is though.

The issue is that are group of grown adults have came up with a scam to profit and create success off of young and naive children.

Nah, thats a symptom.

I mean like, there's a reason why people are behaving this way. I don't know the reason exactly. Not just "they are greedy and want profit" I get the strong feeling it's deeper than that. I'm sort of rambling i know, but i wanted to throw this in to see what you and others think.

Hazed said:
I mean like, there's a reason why people are behaving this way. I don't know the reason exactly. Not just "they are greedy and want profit" I get the strong feeling it's deeper than that. I'm sort of rambling i know, but i wanted to throw this in to see what you and others think.
I understand what you are getting at here.

Latest posts

Back