Lonely and married

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! 
Haunted people are much more interesting then the “normal” ones.
Glad you are here.
🌈

Riverman3 said:
Not a new song in life but haunting, never the less.
Riverman3

One of the books by Carlos Castenada, perhaps "Journey to Ixtlan" contains
what I think is an interesting idea.

In the book, instruction is given to a young man to erase his personal history.  
When people know all about you, or think that they do, they begin to think they can
control you or mistreat you or ignore you.   There is no mystery, no doubt.  You become
a thing, not a person with many possibilities.

Instead, tell very little, or even give out misinformation.  Become someone no one
can judge or tie down.

Marriage is different across history and cultures, but it is my impression that it started 
out as an aspect of business.    Money and political power were consolidated by marriage,
and often a payment from one family to the other was involved.    Love wasn't really the motivation.

Romantic love as generally understood was invented much later as an idea.  
It is kept alive as a way to make money selling roses and romance novels.
Using a search engine you can learn that giving a diamond engagement ring is a fairly new thing, and was
invented as a way to make money with a very heavy advertising campaign.  Diamonds are actually one of the
most common and least valuable stones, but a monopoly keeps prices unrealistically inflated.

Modern marriage in the west is a bit of a mess.  Sadly, most persons make it a legally binding arrangement, 
with no personal conditions.

Instead, persons choosing to marry or live together can at any time create what I call a "cohabitation contract".
Nolo Press publishes an excellent plain language legal guide book which your library might carry.

Finally, there are a few old sayings that might inspire you:

Familiarity breeds contempt.

A change is as good as a rest.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Latest posts

Back