Depressed and anxious about going back home

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baka

Reaction score
For the last two weeks, I've been visiting some family of mine and now I'm dreading going home tomorrow. It's funny actually. At first I couldn't decide whether I wanted to go at all and found myself in a really bad place. I ultimately decided to go and I'm really grateful for it. It's been a lot of fun and I've been able to shelf my depression and anxiety for a bit.

The problem is that I can feel it coming back with a vengeance now.  You see, my life is just a big mess right now. My social anxiety and depression has ruined everything. I've been unemployed for more than a year now and I have no social life at all. Just my close relatives and my dogs. My emotional state is all over the place.

I try to keep myself level by exercising a lot, gardening and staying busy, but that's not enough. I want more, but I no longer believe that I can actually make it happen. I guess that happens when you fail at something enough. You end up losing hope.

Any suggestions? A good book on depression and anxiety perhaps or personal experiences regarding treatments would be helpful.

I know someone that goes every week to a anxiety group.They find it great for interaction with fellow sufferers and the whole group seems to pull together to help each other.They had a Christmas party this year and said person really had a good conversation with someone that had recently joined sharing a simalar  story about the anxiety they suffer which really helped them both.

Have you a local group...maybe worth a try.

Joturbo said:
I know someone that goes every week to a anxiety group.They find it great for interaction with fellow sufferers and the whole group seems to pull together to help each other.They had a Christmas party this year and said person really had a good conversation with someone that had recently joined sharing a simalar  story about the anxiety they suffer which really helped them both.

Have you a local group...maybe worth a try.

I've always liked the idea of a support group, but I don't know of one nearby. Would give it a try though. I've been to therapists before, but with mixed results at best.

Yea it's funny reminded me last time we saw her we were a bit late getting back and she was worried about being late for her group almost like it was a drug.It must be great being comfortable with people like that like a group of friends .There's nothing like face to face interaction with people in the same boat.

I went to a AA meeting last year with a friend that was interested was a good meeting..but main thing was at the end a gent approached us and invited us out for a pub lunch with other members after the next scheduled meeting.I didn't take it up because I dunno me social anxiety not having a problem with alcohol anymore who knows.But if you can find a meeting just try it  could change your life :)

Joturbo said:
Yea it's funny reminded me last time we saw her we were a bit late getting back and she was worried about being late for her group almost like it was a drug.It must be great being comfortable with people like that like a group of friends .There's nothing like face to face interaction with people in the same boat.

I went to a AA meeting last year with a friend that was interested was a good meeting..but main thing was at the end a gent approached us and invited us out for a pub lunch with other members after the next scheduled meeting.I didn't take it up because I dunno me social anxiety not having a problem with alcohol anymore who knows.But if you can find a meeting just try it  could change your life :)

Yeah. I think a support group could work for me, but unfortunately there isn't one in my area. I just know I need to find something to help me move forward in some way. Everything feels stuck or broken at the moment.

Hello Baka,
I hope you are doing better today.
It's a little funny that I was going to say find a way to have money and that as I read, you mentionned you were unemployed.
People will say that money doesn't buy happiness but it couldn't be more wrong. Recently on Twitter there was a meme that had bottles on which were labelled "happiness", "life", etc, etc... At the bottom was written something like "you cannot buy with money a grain of any of those"...which I replied how false that statement was.
With money, you can go out and even if you don't meet the love of your life, you will meet some people - sometimes just saying "hello" to the waiter is enough for that evening. Money will get you better food, a nice place to live, good medication. It will make you live longer! Money will pay the dentist, pay for clothes, pay for some very stupid things that...do make you happy! I recently got myself 2 Alexas - ai speakers - I feel there is a presence with me - and it plays games, music, etc...
I was very depressed at some point in my life and...very broke. Today I think I'm still in "poor people bracket" but, in the upper part. I'm not rich but, anything I want to eat, any clothes I want - I can have anything. And...I feel good.
I know that they won't teach this but...in this World, money does buy happiness...

Know One said:
Hello Baka,
I hope you are doing better today.
It's a little funny that I was going to say find a way to have money and that as I read, you mentionned you were unemployed.
People will say that money doesn't buy happiness but it couldn't be more wrong.  Recently on Twitter there was a meme that had bottles on which were labelled "happiness", "life", etc, etc...  At the bottom was written something like "you cannot buy with money a grain of any of those"...which I replied how false that statement was.
With money, you can go out and even if you don't meet the love of your life, you will meet some people - sometimes just saying "hello" to the waiter is enough for that evening.  Money will get you better food, a nice place to live, good medication.  It will make you live longer!  Money will pay the dentist, pay for clothes, pay for some very stupid things that...do make you happy!  I recently got myself 2 Alexas - ai speakers - I feel there is a presence with me - and it plays games, music, etc...  
I was very depressed at some point in my life and...very broke.  Today I think I'm still in "poor people bracket" but, in the upper part.  I'm not rich but, anything I want to eat, any clothes I want - I can have anything.  And...I feel good.  
I know that they won't teach this but...in this World, money does buy happiness...

Hi. It's been a really bad one unfortunately. Traveled back home today and as expected, I got very little sleep last night and anxiety struck hard on the road.

I agree. Money and especially work is important, but I also had problems even when things were better financially.

Thanks for the reply though.

So ... it seems like we're in a similar spot right now, except you seem to be handling this a lot better than I am, lol.

I'm not so sure about this whole "money is the ultimate solution" idea. Sure, it's more comfortable to cry in a new Porsche than on a second hand bike, but I'd lie if I said that I'm destitute and yet it didn't seem to do much to improve my situation by a whole lot. It's more like "I had a better meal than usual, it was nice at the moment but now it's back to badness again". Attitude definitely makes a change, but when you've a crippling anxiety and serious depression ... yeah, good look with positive thinking.

I've tried the books in the past, but I think it actually backfired instead of helping because it made my think that I should be able to fix those problems ... and I wasn't. It felt like I've just spent money to make myself feel worse. Then again, it's quite likely that the english speaking crowd has access to something better than I did at the time.

Sorry, wish I could offer any real help. If there's any advice I could share, based on my personal experience: don't do what I did - don't give up.

X-1 Alpha said:
So ... it seems like we're in a similar spot right now, except you seem to be handling this a lot better than I am, lol.

I'm not so sure about this whole "money is the ultimate solution" idea. Sure, it's more comfortable to cry in a new Porsche than on a second hand bike, but I'd lie if I said that I'm starving for income and yet it didn't seem to do much to improve my situation by a whole lot. It's more like "I had a better meal than usual, it was nice at the moment but now it's back to badness again". Attitude definitely makes a change, but when you've a crippling anxiety and serious depression ... yeah, good look with positive thinking.

I've tried the books in the past, but I think it actually backfired instead of helping because it made my think that I should be able to fix those problems ... and I wasn't. It felt like I've just spent money to make myself feel worse. Then again, it's quite likely that the english speaking crowd has access to something better than I did at the time.

Sorry, wish I could offer any real help. If there's any advice I could share, based on my personal experience: don't do what I did - don't give up.

Hi. I don't know. I think my mom & co would disagree about me handling it well. I'm in a total flat spin at the moment. Struggling to keep my eyes open, but can't sleep much. Trying to find a therapist I can see today, because I don't want to burden them more than I already am.

What are you going through atm?

Well, you know ... at least you're still trying.

In the past 7 years I've worked for literally 2 months. It's also very rare for me to leave the house anymore. I've mild depression (used to be much worse), severe anxiety and I'm also an insomniac.

Education wise I had some pretty bad luck.
Tried to become a security guard/private investigator, spent some money on the courses and had to cancel because when I was about halfway done, the new regulations came in, taking away most of the privileges while also adding many obligations and restrictions to what was already a sub-optimal career choice. (the pay was waaay below average) I've decided to cut my losses and stop, because it'd take me a few years of work in poor conditions to not even make a profit - just to pay for the school.
Then I took a 2 year long course to become a health and safety inspector, which I've managed to pass with very good results. So of course, about 3 months after - new regulations. Removing the necessity of employing a H&S inspector unless the workplace employed more than 20 people, which basically meant that unless I'm willing to put in additional 6 years of study to raise my qualifications - there was no chance of employment.
So then I've tried to finish an administration/office worker/archivist course but the school was shut down after the first semester. Yay.

Currently the only way I'd get any work would be to become an intern (3-6 months at 1/3 of minimum wage), which I've decided to try (hence the 2 months of work) but in short - it didn't work out too well.

I've some minor bank savings in case of emergency and my family's providing for my daily expenses, but that's not really a long term solution.

I'm basically done at this point.

X-1 Alpha said:
Well, you know ... at least you're still trying.

In the past 7 years I've worked for literally 2 months. It's also very rare for me to leave the house anymore. I've mild depression (used to be much worse), severe anxiety and I'm also an insomniac.

Education wise I had some pretty bad luck.
Tried to become a security guard/private investigator, spent some money on the courses and had to cancel because when I was about halfway done, the new regulations came in, taking away most of the privileges while also adding many obligations and restrictions to what was already a sub-optimal career choice. (the pay was waaay below average) I've decided to cut my losses and stop, because it'd take me a few years of work in poor conditions to not even make a profit - just to pay for the school.
Then I took a 2 year long course to become a health and safety inspector, which I've managed to pass with very good results. So of course, about 3 months after - new regulations. Removing the necessity of employing a H&S inspector unless the workplace employed more than 20 people, which basically meant that unless I'm willing to put in additional 6 years of study to raise my qualifications - there was no chance of employment.
So then I've tried to finish an administration/office worker/archivist course but the school was shut down after the first semester. Yay.

Currently the only way I'd get any work would be to become an intern (3-6 months at 1/3 of minimum wage), which I've decided to try (hence the 2 months of work) but in short - it didn't work out too well.

I've some minor bank savings in case of emergency and my family's providing for my daily expenses, but that's not really a long term solution.

I'm basically done at this point.

Yeah, my one year of unemployment doesn't compare to that. I think what's adding to my anxiety and depression though is that I tried working for myself between 2014 and 2017, but that ended in failure. The last time I really worked full time was October 2013. It all ads up in the end I think.

Anyway, found someone to see tomorrow morning. Will see how it goes. Another doctor even suggested being admitted to a psychiatric hospital for a short observation, but that scares me.

I fight my depression by building confidence through increasing proficiency my craft.

I also train 5 times a week.

Latest posts

Back