Perhaps Lonliness is Natural

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcat22

Reaction score
Just an idea, but perhaps there are simply persons who 
are going to be lonely no matter what.

They are just that type of person, and perhaps accepting it is all they can actually do.

Sometimes throwing away a thing, or just plain giving up can provide some relief.

There is a quote from somewhere:   "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"

If you live life expecting nothing, or expecting mostly bad, I think chances are pretty good 
you won't have any surprises.

Please let me stop wanting to move forward. 
Just let me swallow life being the way it is, maybe then I would get some relief.
Think the worst pain inside of me now is the god **** hope I get.
Can’t even start to describe how much it hurts without tearing up.

I'm not sure how to interpret your response.
Agree? Disagree?

There was an old television program featuring two sisters living in a city apartment building with a door man.
The Door man was never seen, he was only heard over the intercom, and the running joke was that he was always depressed.
One day the door man offered one of the sad sisters some advice: "Take it from me. Avoid disappointment: Aim Low."

I suppose what I might add to my OP would be this: if you have no expectations, you are perhaps
less likely to suffer frustration.

If there is indeed nothing to lose in trying, fine.

There is a series of posters I enjoy very much.
I think we have all been in offices or waiting rooms that feature these posters.
Always framed in black, they always show a beautiful photograph, often of nature,
and an "inspirational" word and slogan below.

The series of posters I like rips this nonsense to shreds.
One of my favorites is a photo of a golf ball sitting in a sand trap.
The "major slogan statement" area has big letters declaring,
"You always miss 100% of the balls you don't swing at"

In much smaller letters, below, it reads, "And, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the balls you DO swing at"

:::

Everyone gets lonely. I don't care who you are, what your circumstances are, what you do or do not have in material possessions or how many friends or family you have. Every single person on this planet gets lonely.
The difference between those who are always lonely and those who can quell it are what they do, how they look at life. Attitude is everything.

TheRealCallie said:
Everyone gets lonely.  I don't care who you are, what your circumstances are, what you do or do not have in material possessions or how many friends or family you have.  Every single person on this planet gets lonely.  
The difference between those who are always lonely and those who can quell it are what they do, how they look at life.  Attitude is everything.

Well, it is very interesting to meet you, Callie.  I've never encountered
a person who has met every single person on this planet.  How did you achieve that remarkable feat?

I'm fairly confident in suggesting that the sheer number of persons we are considering means that
at least some never experience this feeling we call loneliness.

Or, I could be mistaken.  For example, we could say that every single person on this planet gets so angry that they end up murdering someone.
That could be true, but perhaps the evidence suggests otherwise.

My OP is simply a theory, and your response is the same.  We are going to have to just disagree.
I do not believe evidence shows that "anyone can just quell it"
Rather, such a suggestion implies that persons are lazy and loneliness is their own fault.
That may be true in some cases, but I don't think there is any evidence that supports your universal declaration.

I would not say lazy at all. Granted some people are, whether they are lonely or not. I think the better term would be fear. Or even just simply not knowing what to do.

Murder and loneliness are two VERY different things, so I don't think they can even be compared in the same sense. Loneliness is a feeling, murder is an act.

Levels of loneliness also vary. One person may only feel a slight pang of loneliness very rarely, whereas the next person may experience crippling loneliness. Just because the lonely feeling is slight or rarely experienced doesn't mean they don't feel loneliness.

I agree - low expectations does mean less likelihood of being disappointed.

bearcat22 said:
I'm not sure how to interpret your response.
Agree? Disagree?

There was an old television program featuring two sisters living in a city apartment building with a door man.
The Door man was never seen, he was only heard over the intercom, and the running joke was that he was always depressed.
One day the door man offered one of the sad sisters some advice:   "Take it from me.  Avoid disappointment: Aim Low."

I suppose what I might add to my OP would be this:  if you have no expectations, you are perhaps
less likely to suffer frustration.

If there is indeed nothing to lose in trying, fine.  

There is a series of posters I enjoy very much.
I think we have all been in offices or waiting rooms that feature these posters.
Always framed in black, they always show a beautiful photograph, often of nature,
and an "inspirational" word and slogan below.

The series of posters I like rips this nonsense to shreds.
One of my favorites is a photo of a golf ball sitting in a sand trap.
The "major slogan statement" area has big letters declaring,
"You always miss 100% of the balls you don't swing at"

In much smaller letters, below, it reads, "And, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the balls you DO swing at"

:::

I agree.

Hope is taking a chance on happiness. It can succeed or fail. Taking risks is a cornerstone of life. 

Accept your fear, don't hide from it.

Why is it unacceptable to suggest that all humans (barring those with mental/medical disorders that prevent them from doing so) have the ability to feel the same range of emotions as everyone else?

Phantimos said:
Hope is taking a chance on happiness. It can succeed or fail. Taking risks is a cornerstone of life. 

Accept your fear, don't hide from it.

I like this. 🙂

Latest posts

Back