Hopefully Not Redundant

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcat22

Reaction score
I have no affiliation of any sort, but I know of a resource online that you may not have found yet.

It is named "MeetUp.com"   To oversimplify, it is a website for connecting to persons
who are interested in meeting to sharing a wide variety of specific interests and activities.

The hosts of each group pay for the page, and generally speaking users / members use it for free, though
some hosts do ask for help.

I've had mixed luck with these groups.  Some are very welcoming of 
newcomers, some only want experienced persons.  It varies.

Just a thought.  Also, now that Craigslist has taken away their "Personals" category,
a new thing has emerged that is somewhat similar, called "DoubleList". 
Again, I have no affiliation, and again, always use caution online.

I used meetup.com - I found that most of the people that use it are the 'normalites' of society. In other words, they'll shun anyone who's even the slightest bit different, and the second a labelled 'outcast' gives the group an valid excuse to exile them, they will use it. I'm not saying that everyone on meetup.com is the same, but from my experiences with this one group I was with, that's what it's like most of the time.

hewhowalksalone said:
I used meetup.com - I found that most of the people that use it are the 'normalites' of society.  In other words, they'll shun anyone who's even the slightest bit different, and the second a labelled 'outcast' gives the group an valid excuse to exile them, they will use it.  I'm not saying that everyone on meetup.com is the same, but from my experiences with this one group I was with, that's what it's like most of the time.

Well, as I said, what you describe can happen.

One way around this is to PM the group owner(s) and just bluntly ask
whether the group in general is receptive to new comers.

Depending upon your region, you can find quite a few groups that would not
really be called "normal".  

and, of course if you can  afford it, you can simply start your own Meetup.com group.

Also, suppose the group that treated you like honeysuckle meets in the same coffee shop each month.
You should absolutely NOT go online anonymously, email the coffee shop,  and make threats that a bomb is going 
to go off when they are there, so that eventually the venue kicks them out permanently.
You should NEVER do anything like that under any circumstances and I am NOT telling you to do that.
Justice is never good or right. Do NOT DO THIS.

Latest posts

Back