Dating Sites

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww... Your not old Richard. Just more grown. 😋
Almost anything can be a date activity! 
You just got to be easy going and positive. 
❤️

I haven't tried dating sites myself, but I've browsed them, and I can't say I was too happy with anyone I found there.

bearcat22 said:
Since our western culture seems to have been telling women that they are never allowed to 
ever approach a man, only to wait to be approached, the majority of men just get ignored.'
No one has ever been able to make me understand this. 

It's culture, sort of.  But it's also evolutionary biology.  I think the biological part created the cultural norm, and now they are both a thing.  Even if we somehow could make it a cultural norm for women to approach men, or get rid of the idea that men are expected to approach women, I still don't think too many women would approach men first because of biology.  I really think that evolutionary biology is the source of a lot of the pain involved in trying to get into relationships, because it unfairly helps people who just so happen to be born a certain way by giving them success for little to no work, and regardless of if they are good people or not.  At the same time, it completely fucks over other people who weren't as lucky to be born as the "right" kind of person by making it very hard for them to escape singledom, because they basically need to stop being themselves and learn how to be someone else - if they even can.

I also think that women generally wouldn't approach first, because right now, men come to them, submit themselves for evaluation, and hope for the best. The women get to pick and choose, get to hold the man's feelings in her hand and decide whether to comfort or crush it, the women enjoy the social high ground and the ego boost that goes with it. It's like getting social status and power just for existing. Why would they want to give that up? I don't think most people are above that kind of mentality, unfortunately.

bearcat22 said:
Who made this rule? And why do women follow it?

The answer to both seems to be evolutionary biology.

bearcat22 said:
Finding out it is a numbers game

Not for the "right" kind of men who either happen to be born the "right" way or are willing to pander to what Stone Age biology and Hollywood tell us what we should think is "cool".

bearcat22 said:
Or simply did not care that things are hard for both men and for women, in very different ways.

True.  For women, the problem seems to be looks - if you're good-looking, then dating will probably be easy for you. Learning hard knowledge or putting work into your personality will be purely optional.  If you're not, it will be harder, but as long as your problems with looks aren't extreme, there will still probably be some men who would still date you.  For men it seems much more complicated.  You have to be powerful (or at least seem like it), you have to at least act like you always know what you're doing, you have to be interesting, you have to be entertaining, you have to be funny (which usually means sarcasm/facetiousness and the game of insults and comebacks), you have to tick most to all of these boxes instead of just one or two, and if you don't so happen to be the kind of person who does these things automatically, it's an ordeal.  I really wish more women understood this, or even were more clear about what they want and expect from men so we could prepare instead of spending years with no idea what women even want, living our lives in circles.  But I don't think they care to understand it or tell us.  They expect us to just know instinctively.

bearcat22 said:
Second, a woman would describe what she was looking for in a man. Perfectly reasonable, but most of this stuff was literally insane.
About three men in the entire history of humanity MIGHT fill all of the "requirements" these women demanded in a man.

Well, maybe not three men.  But definitely only certain types of men.  The problem is, not all of us can be or even want to be this type of guy (for any reason other than most women and especially most attractive women like this kind of guy).  This is the part that stumps me.  What can you do if this kind of guy just isn't "you", and you don't feel comfortable basically putting on an act because you don't agree that this stuff should be valuable at all?  There's really no easy answers.

bearcat22 said:
Third, the woman would rarely say anything she had to offer that a MAN would find valuable.
Never, "I will never ask you to go shopping with me"     Never,  "I will rub your feet after you come home after a hard day of work"

That's another thing I noticed.  Most of the women have literally the same interests, most of which I'm either not particularly interested in, or even if I am, these interests aren't specific to that woman.  I've looked at a lot of profiles over the years but I've never really seen anyone that I'd actually want to get to know or even ask one question to, let alone beat myself up just to even try to tick off all their boxes.  It's very hard for me to find someone that I'd want to connect with.

bearcat22 said:
Sixth, something has come up in our culture where women are now PROUD of being unattractive?
Look, I get that models in magazines are fake.   But "Big Beautiful Woman"?    I'm supposed to think you are great
because you're in denial that you're unhealthy and unattractive?

Let's turn that around for a moment.  Suppose I have no money, and I start a movement and a phrase
and start calling myself a BBM?    Broke Beautiful Man.   Right, great idea.   Because every women loves a guy with no job
and no car.   Well F you because I'm PROUD of my Poverty!  

That's the problem.  I do see parts of the argument where women are trying to be more confident by refusing to be shamed for things they may not be able to control, but there definitely is a double standard and it definitely is harder for a man to compete.  Even with Big Beautiful Women, there's a niche for that.  The Broke Beautiful Man thing would never take off (unless the guy had something else that gave him power, like wild man stories or the ability to make fun of others, in which case it's no longer really about him being a Broke Beautiful Man - it's more like in spite of it) because women just wouldn't care.  Being broke is seen as a weakness in men and weakness is seen as a sign of inherent inferiority, sometimes to the point of being undeserving of life itself.  It's just this cultural phenomenon that when a woman has problems, you're supposed to feel bad.  But when a man has problems, it's fresia you, you're on your own, nobody cares.  No one ever really seems to stop and think about this.  It's weird, but again, we have evolutionary biology to blame.

X-1 Alpha said:
MGTOW is actually a pretty cool movement. Almost everyone I've met from that community was simply disillusioned or no longer interested in dating etc. They just wanted to focus on their careers and hobbies, plus they fight for equal rights of men. I don't think there's anything wrong with prefering to share a cold one with friends instead of chasing skirts. They're going their own way, not getting in the way of the others.

I think they should be able to do what they want, but it doesn't appeal to me really.  Having sexual and romantic companionship with a woman has been something I've always wanted, and focusing on a career or hobbies would just feel like empty distractions, just passing time.  If I knew I couldn't ever get anywhere with women, I'd just want to take it easy in life.  No point beating myself up for nothing.

X-1 Alpha said:
If you really want to investigate a problematic movement that's existing because the "things have gotten so incredibly bad" - check out the incels (involuntary celibates). Whereas some men simply "went their own way", those guys are just women-hating psychopaths.

I think it's possible to hate the way attraction works and favors some types of people at the expense of others, without hating women themselves.  I like women, I don't see them as living sex dolls, I do want to get to know them as a person, which is more than some men who women give free passes to can say.  But I'm always not good enough because I just couldn't be the "right" kind of person.  

bearcat22 said:
The value of a woman placing an ad as if she were a man, and FINALLY have some remote 
understanding and speck of compassion for what it is like to be a man in our culture

I wouldn't hold my breath.  That's the problem, most women, especially the ones that are riding high, just don't care to understand or have compassion for what it's like to be a man in our culture.  They don't care how hard you try or how well you mean or why you're having a hard time.  They feel like if you can't compete, then they don't care about you or your struggles or pain.   I feel like it's like money - the people who have an easy time making money feel like it must be because they are naturally superior, and that the people who have a hard time making money must be naturally inferior.  It's shitty but I wouldn't count on it changing any time soon.   It's not enough for the people who get everything to get everything, they also have to never admit fault for anything.

bearcat22 said:
Similarly, men need to learn what it is like to get  three hundred unwanted penis pictures in their inbox.

To me it's always seemed obvious that things like that will get you nowhere.  I don't know why guys continue to do it.

bearcat22 said:
Hoping to do some good in the world, I have posted an idea all over the internet, literally for years:

If you want to have a relationship with the opposite gender, you are going to have to actually
UNDERSTAND that opposite gender.    One of the best ways to do that is to create a fake ad, pretending to be
a woman or a man.  Send out some messages to some people, and see what happens.   

I agree with the first part, understanding the opposite gender.  But not really with the method.  It does seem a bit too close to catfishing, which is something I am personally very against.  I think it's better to just figure out what women seem to like and why, to look at men who have romantic relationships and see what they are doing, what their personality and interests are like, what kind of person they seem to be and what women seem to like in these people, then finding the least objectionable examples and find some traits you could be OK with, or even want for yourself.  I don't know though.  I do think that ********* men will always have an easier time because aggression, dominance, cunning, facetiousness, social status, and resources are a large part of male attraction. And guys who find themselves struggling with this will always be fighting an uphill battle.

Jessicat said:
❤️

"More grown"....
Thanks, now I really feel like an old man.
Anybody want to go out for a game of Bridge? lol

Ok, that was not what I was aiming for! I was trying to be sweet. 
I blame my english skills. How to save this.... hmm.
You are not old but more experienced! Ehm... 
With age comes great wisdom..
Ok.. il stop now.
But it is true. 😙

Jessicat said:
❤️

Although it is not necessarily the practice now, I think in general it could
reasonably be said that many people make a special effort on the first few dates.

Their grooming, choice of clothes, thinking about what to say, planning what to do
and where to go, all carefully set out.  Somewhat like a job interview, I suppose.
Which, frankly, creeps me out quite a lot.

However, the point I want to make is, why would we do this?

Suppose you hit it off with this person, and end up wanting something long term?
You have not presented the real way you dress, talk or act.  As a man, you've probably
spent a lot more money so far than you normally can.  As a woman, you may have 
even had sex when you really aren't all that interested in sex in general, just to keep things 
moving on.

Wouldn't it be interesting if, before you were allowed to get married, you had to take
classes and have a test? This system actually existed in the fifties, and maybe before then.
The catholic church would not marry you until you took classes.
Now, I admit most of what they did was probably just bully you into staying in that church
and promising to have lots of new kids and turn them into Catholics.

But a test, and classes.  Why not?   Divorce probably costs billions and surely much heartache.
Could some of that be avoided in the first place with mandatory education?

One class might, for example, put the couple in a real actual size apartment they would be able to afford
after marriage, likely to be cramped.  It would force them to budget and pay bills and divide chores.
A taste of reality for a couple weeks.

I guess some high schools have kids haul around a robot baby that actually poops, cries and has to
be fed.  I guess if the baby dies you get an "F".

Thank you for your well thought out and interesting response, SkaFish

Special effort is fine and appreciated but you can’t hide who you are. Think that’s a common mistake lots of people do. 
They don’t tell the truth, or they sugar coat it. Might seem innocent but it’s going to be the thing that ruins the relationship later on. 
Being as honest as you can, all the time is the way to go even if that truth hurts.

Hey, TheSkaFish

Just wanted to say that even though it may be an unpopular opinion, I agree with pretty much everything you've said.
Life's just not fair and you might randomly find yourself at a great advantage or trying to dig yourself out of a hole for most of your life. And there's f-all you can do to counteract that, because what was your option? To be born in a different place as a different person? All we can is to play the hand we were dealt with and just like with cards, skills are still useful but there's only so much you can do when luck's also involved.
Dating's usually a group of guys fighting for one girl's attention, and she's the one who'll get to choose. There's always a few winners and a whole bunch of losers.
And yeah, if you're not an alpha then you ain't worth much and you can go play with yourself. Females will shift their attention to your betters and males ... wait, why would they help their competition? If you're out of the race, good! Exceptions will always happen, but the thing with exceptions is that they're not the rule.
I am who I am and I'm not willing to lie my way through it all just to get a shot at a "normal" life.

TheSkaFish said:
I think they should be able to do what they want, but it doesn't appeal to me really.  Having sexual and romantic companionship with a woman has been something I've always wanted, and focusing on a career or hobbies would just feel like empty distractions, just passing time.  If I knew I couldn't ever get anywhere with women, I'd just want to take it easy in life.  No point beating myself up for nothing.
That's certainly true. I thought that this always was what I wanted, but now I think it was just social pressure. "Everyone's doing this thing so I need to do it as well" kind of group thinking. If I didn't lose the genetic lottery, I'd probably still be "in the game", but I've realized that there's no point in me trying anymore. So now I'm focused completely on gaming and other hobbies. I can only wish you luck in achieving your goals and dreams.

TheSkaFish said:
I think it's possible to hate the way attraction works and favors some types of people at the expense of others, without hating women themselves.  I like women, I don't see them as living sex dolls, I do want to get to know them as a person, which is more than some men who women give free passes to can say.  But I'm always not good enough because I just couldn't be the "right" kind of person.  
Yes, absolutely, which makes this case even worse. I don't know if you've done much research into the incel community, but they're just nuts. Like, I know how this feels, I'm also one of the losers but I don't hate women because of that. Surprisingly, I actually quite like them, as people - not just for their genitals. In the end, we're all victims of mother nature, some afflicted by it more than others. Kinda unfair to blame evolution on women.
Those guys though? I've been looking through their community forums, because I thought they'd be similar to MGTOW, except maybe focused more on physical aspects of relationships and how to deal or cope with being single or unattractive, that kinda thing, but NOPE. They're guys who have absolutely no respect for women because they're all sluts - they just don't want to sleep with them specifically AND I've seen many of them discussing how they could harm (also physically) completely random women because they "need to get back at them somehow". They're calling for the laws to be changed back to the ones from "the good old days", where women had no rights and were just property because then they'd be able to just force them into bed (and here's the best part) because that's what they deserve. Yes, women deserve to be pretty much raped and those guys are entitled to have access to someone's crotch just because.
It is one of the most vile and disgusting groups I've ever seen in my life and I'm getting extremely ******* angry just writing about this, so I better stop before I say something that'll get me banned.

The Taliban-like views on women are odious, and the increasing frequency of violence is worrying, but it's impossible to know how much of what they say is for real or just echo chamber edginess that's gotten progressively more extreme with time.Also...what a huge gift to SJW types that want to shame and characterize single straight males the worst way possible. Thanks, incels.

Richard_39 said:
Jessicat said:
I used to love Mario Cart! 
Dropping bananas all over. 😂

.....man I'm old.
I don't think Mario Kart is a date activity lol

I'm sure we could pull out the Pong if it makes you feel cozier. :club:

AmyTheTemperamental said:
Richard_39 said:
Jessicat said:
I used to love Mario Cart! 
Dropping bananas all over. 😂

.....man I'm old.
I don't think Mario Kart is a date activity lol

I'm sure we could pull out the Pong if it makes you feel cozier. :club:

....how about no videogames? Like dinner and a movie, or a show or...gasp...talking?!?
If I ever marry someone I'll have plenty of opportunities to play games in her face while she dies of boredom on my atrocious choices (like incomprehensible rpgs or anything Star Trek). Don't seeit much as a date activity.
Guess I am showing my age. Its pre-console lol

Maybe that's where I went wrong in my marriage. I didn't watch him play his video games.

Ah, see there? Sounds like lack of support to me! :D
You should probably just have asked for more money.
Then again, that's kind of my go-to for everything, so I don't know how much that's worth.

I've never been asked for money on a date before. To be honest, I would probably feel more useful than when someone fights with me to pay for my $2 coffee.

AmyTheTemperamental said:
I've never been asked for money on a date before. To be honest, I would probably feel more useful than when someone fights with me to pay for my $2 coffee.

Lol well I always go 50-50. If a woman gets offended because I'didn't pay for her, which hasn't happened so far, I'd reply "I'm cheap. Tell yourself I can at least handle money and put it in the plus column" ;-)

ardour said:
The Taliban-like views on women are odious, and the increasing frequency of violence is worrying, but it's impossible to know how much of what they say is for real or just echo chamber edginess that's gotten progressively more extreme with time.Also...what a huge gift to SJW types that want to shame and characterize single straight males the worst way possible. Thanks, incels.
That's certainly a fair point, since not every threat made is a threat carried out. However, these nutjobs have already killed several people. Last April, an "incel rebel" killed 10 people in Toronto by driving into them with his van and later in November another "incel" attacked a yoga studio in Florida, killing 2 women before commiting suicide.
But yeah, I agree about them pretty much just handing out ammo to SJW's. With those morons acting in the open, I guess those rants about evil, chauvinistic straight white males aren't so insane anymore.

How do you manage to stay the course with MGTOW? Chemicals in my brain cause me to have crushes on girls about once every year or two and everytime it happens I just get really depressed since all possible roads from there seem to lead to embarrassment/dissappointment. How do you supress feeling attraction to them?

MildlyInteresting said:
How do you manage to stay the course with MGTOW? Chemicals in my brain cause me to have crushes on girls about once every year or two and everytime it happens I just get really depressed since all possible roads from there seem to lead to embarrassment/dissappointment. How do you supress feeling attraction to them?

Marriage is a sexual union?.

Simple?.

Impossible to apply in practice?.

But live with it?.

And from basis, everything else will become clear.

It is the foundation for everything. Everything?.

Puddled Duck said:
MildlyInteresting said:

Simple?.

But live with it?.

???????

MildlyInteresting said:
I don't think you do, at least not to a degree that we'd probably prefer to be able to. As you yourself have noticed - feelings aren't something you can control, they just happen. Humans are hard wired to look for potential mates, that's not something you can just say "stop" to. What you can do however, is to sit down and think things through in a calm and collected manner.
I find myself attracted to women, I happen to develop a crush once in a while, but I'm aware that that's just what it is - a simple physical attraction. Not love or any deep feeling. Crashes are temporary, they will eventually go away.
The people I spoke with often resort to hobbies, simply keeping themselevs busy, focus on themselevs and what makes THEM happy. Some people decide to work out, some masturbate or hire an escort, some meditate and some take the meds. I think everyone eventually finds something that works for them and they're comfortable with. It probably helps that a lot of those guys had really, and I mean REALLY bad experiences with women, so suddenly a vision of a relationship doesn't look as attractive. There's no easy answer to that.
There might be, somewhere down the road, but MGTOW itself is a relatively new phenomenon, so it's bound to take time.

The younger you are, the worse it is really. After you hit the age of around 30, the testosterone levels will generally start to drop on their own, You get more experienced in dealing with it over time and once you're hit with the same feeling for the 40th time, it just isn't as potent anymore. Just hang in there. :)

MildlyInteresting said:
Puddled Duck said:
MildlyInteresting said:

Simple?.

But live with it?.

???????

...What? There's your answer dude, that's how you remain MGTOW. Simple, right? ;-)
I don't consider myself that at all and personally, I think it goes against all our natures, biological or otherwise.
But, I've remained single over 11 years and don't remember what a naked girl even looks like. My trick?
I remember how much child support costs....

Latest posts

Back