"GHOSTING"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcat22

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of cell phones.  I happen to now have one.  I don't enjoy it, but 
I tolerate it because it does so many things.

When cell phones were relatively new,  I associated them with rich people.
And with profound rudeness.

In my city the government actually put up signs at ever train station.

It showed a man in a suit with his mouth wide open, yelling into a cell phone.

The caption reads, "Yes, the whole train wants to have to hear about what you're having for dinner tonight"
"Please use some courtesy.

Which, of coursed, did nothing.

Eventually cell phones got cheap.    I began exploring new things, meeting new people, and some of these were younger people, 
I 'd guess in their twenties.

Something strange would seem to happen.  I'd meet people, usually in a group. they would genuinely have a nice time
and seem to like me, and we would exchange email address or whatever.

Every once in a while I'd get very brief texts or emails with these people.

Then, I'd perhaps make a plan for a week or two ahead to do something, and email a few people.
About 90 per cent of  the people would just ignore the message.
Not even a form letter like, "I"m swamped at work and won't be answering any messages this week. 

Those that did answer usually would not say yes or no.

Those that did say yes would VERY frequently simply never show up.  At all, with no message, ever, and 
certainly no apology.

What seemed to be happening in our culture is, there is no such thing as respect, no such thing as
commitment, so such thing as loyalty.

What appears now to happen is someone make five dates on the same night, and on that night randomly look around and at that last moment
then you decide where to go and what to do.

Did not matter the gender of the person doing this.

After that, a new thing showed up, in dating.  I'd have three or four of what I thought were nice dates, 
plenty of texts and emails, then suddenly nothing.

My call isn't blocked, but no one ever picks up.  Texts and emails, no answer. At all. Ever.

And this happened A LOT, and  I found out that this is considered "normal" now.

You're supposed to use people like toilet paper now?   When and how did that happen?

You talk about lack of respect and using people, yet have no issues making fake profiles and encouraging other people to do it? Yeah, that's a pretty **** big contradiction.

It’s normal good behavior to let someone know if something came up.
I think there are some that is so wrapped up in their own ass that they can’t see anybody else. 
Think this is happening cause everything is so available. Easy to replace. Not hard to find.
That honeysuckle is really sad. 
It doesn’t take much to say no thank you.

Conseumerism. Access to anything quickly and easily without effort and the abandonning with no consequences.
This isnt really different from what was happening with mass conseumerism that started in the 80s 90s. Technology simply made it easier to do it more often.
I personally refrain from all that. Not even on facebook more than once or twice a year. I prefer to meet people (and get called a perv...) the good old fashion way. That way I know if someone calls me back, makes an effort to friendship or otherwise, its someone worth keeping in my circle.
Ill leave the rest to their fickleness.

TheRealCallie said:
You talk about lack of respect and using people, yet have no issues making fake profiles and encouraging other people to do it?  Yeah, that's a pretty **** big contradiction.

TheRealCallie, since you are clearly a highly educated person, it is not at all
necessary for me to point out that your objection is a logical fallacy, Tu quoque, to be precise.

Since you are also clearly a mature and stable personality, and you obviously dislike
the content of what I post, why do you bother to continue to read and respond to my topics?
/
/
/
/

/

TheRealCallie said:
You talk about lack of respect and using people, yet have no issues making fake profiles and encouraging other people to do it?  Yeah, that's a pretty **** big contradiction.

I don’t think that was his point at all.

Jessicat said:
It’s normal good behavior to let someone know if something came up.
I think there are some that is so wrapped up in their own ass that they can’t see anybody else. 
Think this is happening cause everything is so available. Easy to replace. Not hard to find.
That honeysuckle is really sad. 
It doesn’t take much to say no thank you.

Well, as often, you make good sense Jessicat, and your comment is appreciated.

bearcat22 said:
TheRealCallie said:

TheRealCallie, since you are clearly a highly educated person, it is not at all
necessary for me to point out that your objection is a logical fallacy, Tu quoque, to be precise.

Since you are also clearly a mature and stable personality, and you obviously dislike
the content of what I post, why do you bother to continue to read and respond to my topics?
/
/
/
/

/

It's actually not...
You would have had to criticize her for that behavior first. In which case she would be justifying her own behavior by pointing out your hypocrisy. Yours was just a general post not a personal criticism of Callie. It's not tu quoque Everytime someone points out hypocrisy.

https://theupturnedmicroscope.com/comic/logical-fallacies-tu-quoque/

But in the subject of ghosting... I agree it's rude. If you had an emergency that's one thing, but blowing someone off because you would rather do something else and not even having the courtesy to text and tell the person you "can't" make it... So they end up wasting their time waiting on you to never show up. Anytime that has happened to me I made it clear that it wasn't appreciated. You don't need "friends" that are going to make you feel like you're their back up plan.

Personally, I feel more relieved when people remove themselves. The quieter, the better. When I was younger, I was all about the "gotta stay connected via text forever." Now, it's like, my phone is just a really expensive alarm clock and kitchen timer.

And if the dating thing doesn't work out, I prefer to take myself out to places that I enjoy and don't really require the presence of another for me to enjoy. Spark up a random conversation with someone standing in line or something.

Latest posts

Back