Maybe Lonliness can be GOOD

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcat22

Reaction score
I got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack.

I went out for ride, and I never went back.

Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'

I took a wrong turn and I just kept goin'

Bruce Springsteen

I'm not sure why you are posting lyrics to this song. It's misleading given how the song ends.

Everybody needs a place to rest
Everybody wants to have a home
Don't make no difference what nobody says
Ain't nobody like to be alone

Perhaps you're confusing loneliness with being alone.
Running away from your problems rarely works, you see, because your problems go with you.

I think that everything in life can teach you lessons that’s both good and bad.
Loneliness can teach you to really see someone, wanting to get deep under their skin, knowing them for what they truly are. To appreciate what they are able to give. 
To be honest, I’d rather have few of those relationships that lots of so-called friends.

Well, Im single and dont regret it. But I think its just because I havent found the right person yet. Of course though, if I do find that person, I'd not be foolish enough to turn it down for philosophical reasons.

Jessicat said:
I think that everything in life can teach you lessons that’s both good and bad.
Loneliness can teach you to really see someone, wanting to get deep under their skin, knowing them for what they truly are. To appreciate what they are able to give. 
To be honest, I’d rather have few of those relationships that lots of so-called friends.

Thank you for offering worthwhile insight to my post, Jessicat.

As the song clearly states, whatever people think they want, often
it is very good indeed to simply get up and walk away.

TheRealCallie said:
I'm not sure why you are posting lyrics to this song. It's misleading given how the song ends.

Everybody needs a place to rest
Everybody wants to have a home
Don't make no difference what nobody says
Ain't nobody like to be alone

Perhaps you're confusing loneliness with being alone.  
Running away from your problems rarely works, you see, because your problems go with you.

That sounds more like the labor of being on tour to me.

Richard_39 said:
Well, Im single and dont regret it. But I think its just because I havent found the right person yet. Of course though, if I do find that person, I'd not be foolish enough to turn it down for philosophical reasons.

See that...is probably one of the only things I'm actually somewhat afraid of. I'm really good at calling bullshit where bullshit is, but that 0.01% of the time that it isn't bullshit...I have this feeling like I don't want to mess that up, you know?

IncolaVacui said:
Richard_39 said:

See that...is probably one of the only things I'm actually somewhat afraid of. I'm really good at calling bullshit where bullshit is, but that 0.01% of the time that it isn't bullshit...I have this feeling like I don't want to mess that up, you know?

Boom. Same. Dunno if I'd go so high as .01. Sure, it's not easy, but it's not THAT hard either. I'd be hard pressed o come up with a figure but Ive known many a lady would make a fine long term partner. Which is why I cant get abord the other philosophy. I feel its kind of regressive too much.

Richard_39 said:
IncolaVacui said:
Richard_39 said:

Boom. Same. Dunno if I'd go so high as .01. Sure, it's not easy, but it's not THAT hard either. I'd be hard pressed o come up with a figure but Ive known many a lady would make a fine long term partner. Which is why I cant get abord the other philosophy. I feel its kind of regressive too much.

Bah, I was generalizing a randomly made up number. I probably can get a girlfriend, I just don't really want to. I've been told that I have too high of standards, but I also don't really have motivation for love and relationships like I used to. I kinda gave up on the prospect when I turned 30 and had been single for 6 years. *Shrug* I'm an introverted artist and hobby intellectual. I harbor no ill will or feeling towards women or even to that of love and sex, I'm just simply indifferent and not really motivated by them in life anymore. Or to put it simply: If I had to hypothetically choose between the "American Dream" and getting to see the Ziggurat of Ur in person, and walk among some of the oldest known ruins of human civilization...I'd rather see the Ziggurat of Ur. I'm just, motivated in life by other things, different things, than the prospects of relationships, sex, and love. I was not always like this however, I made myself like this, on purpose for reasons of stability and survival. It took several years, much trial and error, but eventually I got to a state of pure neutrality. I'm not asexual, or gay, or bisexual, I'm a heterosexual male who just chose to think outside of the box, rather than within it. I figure: If love wants me bad enough, it'll find me instead and be annoyingly persistent enough to where I can't possibly not notice. Until then? The world is full of plenty of things for me to keep myself busy mulling over instead. A friend of mine told me once that I'm a "glitch in the matrix" and I laughed and told him I'm the missingno. in the old Pokemon games (which was just this weird glitch symbol that appeared on the screen).

AmyTheTemperamental said:
IncolaVacui, your sense of self is really admirable.

Or lackthereof, depending on which way you look at it...I found what works for me, what stabilized me. I thought I'd find that in another person but, I did not. I didn't entirely plan on finding it within myself I just kind of stumbled across it during a therapeutic exercise of filling my thoughts with as many distractions as possible. Incola Vacui literally means: "Void Dweller." I found meaning in the meaningless, something in the nothingness.

IncolaVacui said:
Richard_39 said:
IncolaVacui said:
Richard_39 said:

Bah, I was generalizing a randomly made up number. I probably can get a girlfriend, I just don't really want to. I've been told that I have too high of standards, but I also don't really have motivation for love and relationships like I used to. I kinda gave up on the prospect when I turned 30 and had been single for 6 years. *Shrug* I'm an introverted artist and hobby intellectual. I harbor no ill will or feeling towards women or even to that of love and sex, I'm just simply indifferent and not really motivated by them in life anymore. Or to put it simply: If I had to hypothetically choose between the "American Dream" and getting to see the Ziggurat of Ur in person, and walk among some of the oldest known ruins of human civilization...I'd rather see the Ziggurat of Ur. I'm just, motivated in life by other things, different things, than the prospects of relationships, sex, and love. I was not always like this however, I made myself like this, on purpose for reasons of stability and survival. It took several years, much trial and error, but eventually I got to a state of pure neutrality. I'm not asexual, or gay, or bisexual, I'm a heterosexual male who just chose to think outside of the box, rather than within it. I figure: If love wants me bad enough, it'll find me instead and be annoyingly persistent enough to where I can't possibly not notice. Until then? The world is full of plenty of things for me to keep myself busy mulling over instead. A friend of mine told me once that I'm a "glitch in the matrix" and I laughed and told him I'm the missingno. in the old Pokemon games (which was just this weird glitch symbol that appeared on the screen).

I agree. In regards to a romantic relationship, I don't think settling with someone just so that you aren't alone is a good option. I see lots of people do it and they aren't happy. Personally I have my ex reach out to me every so often and just have to remind myself its not worth it to respond to set up that meeeting. The loneliness you feel with someone you aren't happy with is worse than being just alone.

IncolaVacui said:
Richard_39 said:
IncolaVacui said:
Richard_39 said:

Much of my stance mirrors yours. Not so convinced it's a very useful approach though; I've been single for the last 11 years. Not that I necessarily mind it, mind you, but on occasion it does bother me.
I would love to be a glitch in the Matrix. Or for there to actually be a Matrix. It would make more sense of this world than the reality I read on the 6 oclock news.

Plus...I could shoot two guns and I'd know Kung Fu much better than the rusty basics I have. That'd be fun :)

Well! I'm old and I'm single and I do regret it when I see folk who have families but.... I also know a large number of folk whose relationships have gone south with all sorts of collateral damage. In some ways I'm glad I'm not involved in the horrible breakups and seeing love turn to hate and children damaged. And, if I'm honest I've been alone so long now I'm set in my own ways and really can't imagine having someone close and dependent, let alone demanding, all of the time or, for that matter, anyone who could put up with me! . For my sanity I do have to have a sanctuary and bolt hole where I can just escape from the madness, exit society and the world and close the door, be quiet and enjoy peaceful pursuits such as reading, art, music or studying for pleasure.

But yes, I do feel deep loneliness at times and I have to accept now that no-one is going to love me or rescue me. I've also learned that it's no good pining for what you can't have or haven't got. As long as I continue to find the world interesting I will just do what I can, while I can, until I can't and then probably jump off! It's a struggle some days but all you can do is turn and face into the wind and spit in the eye of fate!

Ulysses68 said:
Well! I'm old and I'm single and I do regret it when I see folk who have families but.... I also know a large number of folk whose relationships have gone south with all sorts of collateral damage. In some ways I'm glad I'm not involved in the horrible breakups and seeing love turn to hate and children damaged. And, if I'm honest I've been alone so long now I'm set in my own ways and really can't imagine having someone close and dependent, let alone demanding, all of the time or, for that matter, anyone who could put up with me! . For my sanity I do have to have a sanctuary and bolt hole where I can just escape from the madness, exit society and the world and close the door, be quiet and enjoy peaceful pursuits such as reading, art, music or studying for pleasure.

But yes, I do feel deep loneliness at times and  I have to accept now that no-one is going to love me or rescue me. I've also learned that it's no good pining for what you can't have or haven't got. As long as I continue to find the world interesting I will just do what I can, while I can, until I can't and then probably jump off! It's a struggle some days  but all you can do is turn and face into the wind and spit in the eye of fate!

I’m all in for spitting in the eye of fate! 😄

Jessicat said:
T9CBQ.gif

Reminded me of this gif.

Jessicat said:
IncolaVacui said:
Jessicat said:
T9CBQ.gif

Reminded me of this gif.

😝😂

Or, you know...like I said when I was 15 and finished the books, why not just give it to the Balrog and run? Besides Gandalf no one can kill that thing, it sure isn't under Sauron's pay, so why not dump it and run? lol. Good luck getting it back, suckers! :)

Richard_39 said:
Jessicat said:
IncolaVacui said:
Jessicat said:
T9CBQ.gif

Reminded me of this gif.

😝😂

Or, you know...like I said when I was 15 and finished the books, why not just give it to the Balrog and run? Besides Gandalf no one can kill that thing, it sure isn't under Sauron's pay, so why not dump it and run? lol. Good luck getting it back, suckers! :)

Omg.
That’s a really good idea! 
“You shall not pass! And here, take this ring.” ❤️
Richard, you are brilliant. 😉

Latest posts

Back