Recovering Addicts

• Thread starter AmyTheTemperamental
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AmyTheTemperamental

I have found that I tend to talk a lot about my recovery, and thought perhaps there may be others out there who may want someone to speak about similar topics. Whether you are in recovery or considering it...

I understand a lot of people don't like to discuss their addictions publicly, so I would like to offer private support if anyone is in need. I, myself, have been in recovery for alcoholism for 10 months now. I am working the 12 steps.

Please feel free to PM me if you need someone to bounce thoughts off of.

I just want to congradulate you and offer you a good luck in your process. I've never had an addiction, but I know how hard and strong you need to be to overcome it. Keep up the good work, sending vibes your way!

Thank you, Danielle. It's funny. I remember someone telling me that about making it 4 months, and thinking they were crazy. But now that I've been through many emotional marathons, I understand the "progress not perfection" aspect of it.

Hell yeah! I’m taking out the balloons for sure! 
🎈*dance*🎈

Yup. I’m cheering you on.

Congrats, Amy. I hope you continue to work on yourself and get better.

I am not an alcoholic, but I do know the program and have worked it myself. It's hard, so I hope you are proud of yourself. If you aren't, you definitely should be.

TheRealCallie said:
Congrats, Amy.  I hope you continue to work on yourself and get better.  

I am not an alcoholic, but I do know the program and have worked it myself.  It's hard, so I hope you are proud of yourself.  If you aren't, you definitely should be.

I have a deep admiration for people who do the steps, whether they have addictions or not. I really wish it was something that I was educated about when I was teen.

If you ask a pessimist if the glass if half full or half empty he'll tell you it's half empty.
If you ask an optimist if the glass is half full or half empty he'll tell you it's half full.
If you ask an alcoholic if the glass is half full or half empty, they'll tell you that the glass is twice as full as it's about to be.

And I can make that joke, because I've literally been there myself.
I'm also from a family of lower class addicts, to each their own poison...

What I find the most interesting about recovery is that each addict chooses their poison, but recovery is yet a universal sensation of its own. I have a family member who's a recently recovered opiate addict and I.V. user, she describes her newfound sobriety in similar ways to how I found sobriety after my bout with alcoholism., except whereas I can have a drink from time to time and not have cravings, she's completely sworn off the needle, much to my relief.

I told her if she wants to have a few drinks or smoke a few bowls and watch some movies or shows on netflix, we'll hang out and do it together. I remember what it was like being a drunk...I wasn't proud of it, even then. I found solace in the bottom of that bottle for a while though, but really it was a contrived solace, and I didn't know what the fresia I was doing at the time I was doing it.

Oh, and FYI, when I was a kid, Fujin and Rajin's dialogue always reminded me of the bantering between Reno, Rude, and the Turks in FFVII.

^I'm kind of confused by this post lol.

Do you consider yourself as someone with a drinking problem?

An alcoholic doesn't have to drink or get drunk all the time. Hell, they don't have to drink at all to still be an alcoholic.

Honestly, I think either you never had a drinking problem or you are in denial.

(Not you, Amy)

I remember being 5'10, 133 lbs, and killing a 1.75 ML of everclear by myself in 2 days after a 60 hour work week of hard physical labor in 33 C weather, the strongest legally available in my state. I was, at that time, literally trying to drink myself to death. I'm a recovered alcoholic. It took several years for me to get to the point to where I could better control myself. It was the shakes that honestly made me make the turnaround, those were probably the worst times I had with it. My father's an alcoholic, and so I remember driving hungover to work trying to come up with a reason why I shouldn't "accidentally" plough head first into the 60-ft semitruck in the opposite lane while fighting the shakes an telling myself: "I won't be my father..." Been there, done that. That honeysuckle's real. Not a good time. I was being completely sincere in my original response, that probably wasn't easily conveyed through text, now that I'm looking through it....says the dude that bought his first bottle in longer than he can remember since his last bottle. My point is: Keep your head up. If you're doing well, keep going with it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Hi Amy thought I would mention that its common for recovering alcoholics to still gravitate around there once object of affection even though theyre not drinking. IMHO its good to start looking to the future--- you've visited the wretched 'planet alcohol' seen the sights/got the t shirt now fire those rockets as there are infinite wonderous star systems to explore. Its ok to look back occasionally as a reminder to never go there again but apart from that its new horizons!

ps ignore any 'advise' from alcoholics who are still drinking its obviously worthless b/s

Chief broom said:
Hi Amy thought I would mention that its common for recovering alcoholics to still gravitate around there once object of affection even though theyre not drinking. IMHO its good to start looking to the future--- you've visited the wretched 'planet alcohol' seen the sights/got the t shirt now fire those rockets as there are infinite wonderous star systems to explore. Its ok to look back occasionally as a reminder to never go there again but apart from that its new horizons!

ps ignore any 'advise' from alcoholics who are still drinking its obviously worthless b/s

I appreciate this post.

I would also like to add, that the person giving advice and still drinking, could be the person hitting rock bottom tomorrow and not knowing where to turn for help. I have most certainly been that person. And if it wasn't for fellow recovering alcoholics who helped me see how much better life could be, I don't think I would have felt much connection to sobriety at all.

I know for a fact that I can never drink again. And if someone else has found the magic answer to go back to being a "social drinker", well congratulations to them. It's not for me to decide if they are speaking bs or not.

But if they decide in the future that they really aren't okay with it, I hope they know that there are people who will support them to the fullest.

Latest posts

Back