Who can you turn to when you have no one to turn to?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYLovely

Reaction score
I have been depressed for months now. I haven't told anyone, I've just been holding everything in. I've made an honest attempt to talk to someone but no one seems to care about what I have going on. I have friends but I can't talk to them at all. One only cares about herself and her problems and the other one has enough problems on her plate without me dumping my issues on her. So, I'm left here to keep holding everything. I'm just waiting to the point where the stress reaches my heart and it finally gives up on me.
I've tried therapy, doctors, and medication but nothing works. I'm at the end of my rope and I have no clue as to what else I can possibly do to help myself anymore. Family and friends are useless and professional are just as useless. Who else can I realistically turn to?

Welcome to the group
Wish i had the elusive answer but I dont
Lots of people here paddling up the same river
Guess that means your not alone

Well...you kind of discarded everone as being useless. Which, without knowing the particulars of your situation, doesnt really leave much to go on. However, I'd like to point out that somewhere in the middle of family, or friends OR professionals, there is always someone we can turn to; often enough, its because we don't want to. You have to realize something, and it takes a while to understand it and it's subtlety; you ARE your own worst enemy. There is no one on Earth who will stop us more from achieving that we can do to ourselves in the first place. It might be out of anger, fear, lack of confidence, distress, laziness or a plethora of others, you name it, but we're usually pretty good at stopping ourselves. Sometimes you have to take that leap you didnt want to take, out of fear or humiliation. Talk to that relative you always trusted. Talk to that guy who sits by himself st the school cafeteria. Talk to that hotline we always feared calling when we're depressed....it does help. There IS someone out there who listens. And cares.

Once a while back, I called a suicide hotline. It helped. It changed many things. I was desperate. And humiliated. But I was suffering to the point I WAS going to take drastic action.
if you feel getting there, maybe you should think of caloing one too. If youre just looking for advice, a confidant, I ironically (if you're of a drinking age) tend to favor bartenders. Specifically the old gruff looking ones. Nothing like getting a slice of life from a man who's older and wiser of the world than I am.

Hope it helps and good luck!

I take this quote directly from a mental health website I read ages ago. "Depression is like a gremlin who whispers in your ear that nobody cares about you and tells you to push away from others. That's how it beats you"

I don't know if that helps.

Richard_39 said:
Well...you kind of discarded everone as being useless. Which, without knowing the particulars  of your situation, doesnt really leave much to go on. However, I'd like to point out that somewhere in the middle of family, or friends OR professionals, there is always someone we can turn to; often enough, its because we don't want to. You have to realize something, and it takes a while to understand it and it's subtlety; you ARE your own worst enemy. There is no one on Earth who will stop us more from achieving that we can do to ourselves in the first place. It might be out of anger, fear, lack of confidence, distress, laziness or a plethora of others, you name it, but we're usually pretty good at stopping ourselves. Sometimes you have to take that leap you didnt want to take, out of fear or humiliation. Talk to that relative you always trusted. Talk to that guy who sits by himself st the school cafeteria. Talk to that hotline we always feared calling when we're depressed....it does help. There IS someone out there who listens. And cares.

Once a while back, I called a suicide hotline. It helped. It changed many things. I was desperate. And humiliated. But I was suffering to the point I WAS going to take drastic action.
if you feel getting there, maybe you should think of caloing one too. If youre just looking for advice, a confidant, I ironically (if you're of a drinking age) tend to favor bartenders. Specifically the old gruff looking ones. Nothing like getting a slice of life from a man who's older and wiser of the world than I am.

Hope it helps and good luck!

What he said. ^^

I do want to add that your friend who has "too much on her plate"...did you ever consider that maybe she might like a distraction for a little while from her own problems?   I'm usually the friend who has "too much," and I've had my friends tell me that they didn't come to me or didn't want to bother me because I had too much to deal with already, but helping them actually helped ME.  I didn't feel like I was just going through the motions. I felt like I was useful, that I was helping someone I cared about.  So, I'm sorry, but I genuinely feel that that excuse is bullshit unless this friend has told you that she can't deal with any of your problems.

I am agreeing and disagreeing with the bartender thing.  Disagreeing because I don't think bars are really the answer, but I do agree that sometimes a stranger can be the best person to talk to.  There are millions of people out there who can help you and listen.  You also have right here.  Post about it.  If you're concerned about non members seeing, post in the diary section.  If you're concerned about anyone, PM someone.  I would be more than happy to listen and try to offer advice, as I'm sure most others would, as well.  We also have a chat room, if that's more your style.

Walks in the park and menial work.

Everyone was lost to walks in the park and menial work.

Better to have no one than listen to endless crap about walks in the park and menial work.

In older days, Witch Trials and back types of older days, obscure formations in architecture and housing was often avoided, as it was believed that witches could create doors at certain corners and angles, allowing them to enter the home as an intruder. It's for this reason why, if you look at old Victorian homes, they sometimes have a false door on the second floor without a balcony, leading to nowhere but injury or death from a fall. The idea was that perhaps they could trick the witch into leaving through that door, which would open into nowhere. What I'm getting at here is: If a door closes and the window won't open, sometimes you've got to make a door, and look before you leap.

It means: If you have no one to turn to, you've gotta get creative. Now, as a teenager this made absolutely no sense to me at all, and I didn't understand it. As an adult however, it's become a life saver of a technique. So where do I take my troubles as an adult when I have no one to talk to about them? To my art, or whatever creative project I am working on rather it be crafting, drawing, reading, or writing. At some point, I looked up to the stars and the thought crossed my mind: "I wonder how those things work..." And so, I began to read into astrophysics and astronomy. There's an old saying: All great art is made from suffering.

Dear NYLovely,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us. I am truly sorry for what you are going through. These forums are great for sharing burdens, and venting. Even in the darkest moments in our lives there’s always hope. It is understandable for the way you feel. Please let me tell you that you are important, valuable and a person of worth of dignity. In regards to your situation and what you have tried to help remedy it, have ever you thought of seeking Christian counseling? social outlets or at least some type of groups that adults get together for recreation such as bowling, arts and crafts or some type of church ministry or charitable organizations? If therapy hasn’t helped, at least it may be best for you to get out to meet others and to occupy your time with recreational or charitable activities. I hope this will help you, my friend. Hang in there! Keep us posted okay?

Latest posts

Back