What would you do if you married into money?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's paying the bills?

• I'm male, my rich wife will pay

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I'm male, I will pay my half

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I'm female, my rich hubby will pay

• I'm female, I will pay my half

• Other, please explain.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

TheRealCallie

Princess Pink Love
Reaction score
Let's say you married someone who has money.  I'm not talking billionaire or anything extremely substantial, but someone who doesn't really have (or ever has) to worry about money.  More to the point how would you handle the bills?  Would you expect your spouse to handle them all (or most) of it or would you cover half, more than half? 

I'm curious on how the answers will differ between the men and women too.  I know things are a little different now, but I think some still have old fashioned ways of going about things or even expectations of how they think a household should handle these matters.

Marry into money? I’d settle down and be a trophy husband for the rest of my days!

On a real note, I’d probably continue working and doing my share because I’d go crazy doing nothing.

I would pay all my bills, the same way I do now. And hell yeah, bring on the prenup.

I’m of the ‘other’ opinion and here’s why: I’m married - my hubby and I don’t have ‘his’ money and ‘her’ money - it’s ‘our’ money. Whatever money comes into the household is pooled together - whether he brings in more money or I do is irrelevant. So I would treat this hypothetical marriage the same way.

Respect my father in law and hopefully become mates.Re the money I haven't a Scooby do.

Thinking about though would still need to work and probably pay half and half on the bills.

Not sure if I've fully understood the question. But I would want her to be happy one way or another. If she wants me to contribute, then I would obviously contribute. But I wouldn't be threatened if she said she'd take care of it either.

I would honestly be better for her financial future if she downsized and didn't act like an aristocrat. In that: If you go spending all of the money, eventually there won't be any money.

I dated a rich girl once, that was an interesting first experience for me since I was born in near welfare.
She didn't really seem to give a **** about money, but also because her parents sheltered her too much she didn't understand the gravity of the consequences of her actions, either.

As for who pays for what, I'm all for 50/50, but I'm also no chaser, either. Basically how I look at it is: If I'm already working 47 - 60 something hours a week or more, if that's not enough production to make ends meet than we need to downsize on expectations and living arrangements, or I'll be more inclined to go at it alone with my 47-60+ hour a week shifts. I work to live, I don't live to work. The idea of mutual respect, mutual independence, and mutual freedom is appealing to me. I just happened to have a good business comprehension because I've had to fight an uphill battle financially my whole life. Or in other words: The way you learn how not to be broke, is to be broke for a long enough time that you figure out how to get your honeysuckle together and at least stabilize it. I live within a budget, that budget is my paycheck, if that budget gets exceeded unexpectedly, that's why I keep a savings account to balance it out later, and if it gets exceeded because I slip up like a dumbass, than I just own that and ask myself what the fresia I'm doing wrong and start reviewing my statement/transaction history to try to narrow it down to a science.

As for her extra money and assets? Just put it into savings. We'll call it the "Oh honeysuckle" money. As in, what to use when unexpected stupid things happen that throw you a curve ball. Example: "Oh honeysuckle, the car's transmission died" or "Oh honeysuckle, we've gotta go to the hospital" or "Oh honeysuckle, the pets need to go to the vet." That kinda thing.

Or for a more realistic example:
Currently, my car is a piece of honeysuckle. I didn't really buy it, I sort of got it through a relative after my car died but I owe the guy a small sum of money for it (pretty small for car, like CL ads kind of small). However, because it's over 20 years old, it breaks a lot of the time.
So, I had to open two savings accounts for it: One to put the money aside to pay it off, and the other to keep a small base of repair funds in so that it doesn't really effect my checking account, and I just try to live minimally in the between.

Latest posts

Back