The social dork is my ticket to a social life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alonelyshyboy

Reaction score
I have a friend from school days (years ago) that is kinda a dork, but has a wonderful social life. Should I go out with him more so that I can start to build up my own social life?

He is a nice enough guy, but just some of the things he says and does are dorky.

Yes of course. I mean, I've always played the slick, hip , n cool and the devil may care falla.
so in my eyes I think i'm cool..Then a friend of mine called me a dork or I act like a dork or a spaz sometimes..lmao

One of greatest healing process for me was to be able to laugh at myself and allow myself
to be corny or dorky sometime.lol Once i can luagh at myself...it's down hill from there. It help me becuase i was up tight or so self
aware of my flaws. By allowing myself to luagh at myself i was
able to be free of the crazy strictions i up upon myself. In other
words I begin to accept and love myself as who I am with the many flaws or imperfections and it was okay. I no longer needed to pretend
to be something I wasn't or put on a front/mask anymore. I begin to have more self confidents or self esteem becuase I simply can confidently laugh at myself. Well, if I can luagh at myself already,
it dosn't matter much what other people think or say about me.
So my time or engery is no longer wasted in wondering or worrying what others think about me.

A freindship cuts through many lines. Maybe its what you need at this moment in your life
as a learning process.
It might also help you later on if you decide to get into
a seriouse relationship. well...the secret is...most women think guys are dorks..lmao
They just say it different...." he makes me laugh".:p

alonelyshyboy said:
I have a friend from school days (years ago) that is kinda a dork, but has a wonderful social life. Should I go out with him more so that I can start to build up my own social life?

He is a nice enough guy, but just some of the things he says and does are dorky.

"Dork - Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks."

^_^ nothing wrong with being a dork :) If you're the type that's worried about what other people might think of you or in general don't know what to say then having a friend that can confidently be himself even with all the weird quirks, I think that's someone to keep and to learn from.
Actually think being around one should be very fun and should attract other people quite efficiently ;)

alonelyshyboy said:

If you like the guy, i don't see why not. Unless whatever these things are that you describe as dorky bother you to much. Since you say he has a wonderful social life they must not be things that bother to many people.

well do you like him if you do you should go for it.

lol i went out for a dork for a while he's the only guy i've ever gone out with. But he was tottally sweet, :)

So just put aside the fact that he's a dork and if you want to go out with him

go out with him

We all say dorky things sometimes there is nothing wrong with that. However if you see him as a complete dork ( as in interests include video games, star wars, science etc) and the only reason your hanging out with him is to make friends then I see it as a friendship that is doomed to fail. Eventually he may see you as someone that tried to use him to make more friends. Also you must remember that friends usually gravitate towards people with similar interests so if he has a dorky side his friends may also. If you have to pretend to enjoy Halo to fit in with the group then eventually you will be alone and miserable. Its not a good idea to just cling to a person just because you feel alone. If you don't have anything in common you will be right back where you started. There is nothing wrong with being a dork no matter what your definition of 'dork' is. By all means go out with him give it a shot but if you see him or his friends as dorks and its not you by all means don't pretend to be something your not to gain friends.

I hope this didn't come off wrong in any way. I'm not trying to stereotype people by their interests. The definition of what is dorky is different for everyone but bottom line is if you like hanging out with him then go for it and meet his friends but if you don't since you think he is a a bit of a dork be careful not use him to find friends or it could get ugly.

Latest posts

Back