What the hell does a somebody even supposed to feel like?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
What the hell does a somebody even supposed to feel like?

You know I'm turning 29, still living with parents, has a minimum wage job, ain't done with college. A nobody.
Haven't climbed mount Everest, haven't been to the moon, only had one girlfriend. Not a somebody.

But then again what is a somebody?

What does it feel like to be so accomplished and to have many achievements?

I cannot relate.

Will I have a sudden boost to my self esteem knowing that I climbed the tallest mountain?

Someone explain this to me.

Hello Azariah, 
from my experience, this self-esteem thingy come from the way we think of ourselves. It came from little things in life, set a reachable target, try to accomplish it, try to feel good about it, rinse and repeat. It builds up slowly. and it will not be there everyday. There are times when i feel like pile of dung, and i had days where i feel i can take on everything. I'm coping with it by just try to live life one day at a time.

I have some achievements, and it brings ire and loneliness for me. It feels like everyone who try to befriend me always have some agenda, get me vulnerable, manipulating me, earn something from me, or see me fail at something. I became more defensive and not trusting. it is tiring to having to be careful all the time and i haven't found better way to cope.

Anyway, I just try to be better person than before, each and every day. I hope you find my post useful.

I have very little achievements myself. But I accept that it's just the way I am. I'm not academic like my brother and sister, and I don't have the physical stature for sporting accomplishments. I just focus on the things that bring me joy.

I don't think many people ever feel satisfied with themselves no matter how much they have achieved. There are always going to be people who seem to have made it to being a somebody, but those people will be watching other people who are above them and wishing they could be in their place. Nobody spends much time thinking about the people below them

So, the good news is that you already are a somebody. The bad news is that you're going to feel like you are. Welcome to a life of permanent dissatisfaction.

Thanks guys. I get a little insight.

"If you're cup is already full then it's bound to overflow" "Too much is never enough"

Cleanairfilter said:
I don't think many people ever feel satisfied with themselves no matter how much they have achieved. There are always going to be people who seem to have made it to being a somebody, but those people will be watching other people who are above them and wishing they could be in their place. Nobody spends much time thinking about the people below them

So, the good news is that you already are a somebody. The bad news is that you're going to feel like you are. Welcome to a life of permanent dissatisfaction.

This! This is gold. 
Star for you Cleanairfilter ⭐

Have to say tho. It’s worth it even if I feel dissatisfied sometimes.

The only people who have been to the moon are dead now, aren't they? No one has been there since '69. (I think, right?)
Who cares if you're not done with college yet, I'm older than you and I haven't even started yet. You'll get done when you're done, there's not an urgent rush. You could probably move out if you were really motivated to, so there must be a reason you haven't yet.

As for Everest....overrated, IMO. Why do people climb mountains like that? I get mountain climbing on a smaller scale, but something like Everest is just asinine, especially now that they have paths and walk people up it. So no, I don't think that will help your self esteem. I think what you need is just to accomplish some of the things you wrote. Finish college, get a better job, get another relationship, move out, etc. Those are the things, I think, you really want, so take a step in those directions. Oh and start with a smaller goal and maybe start believing in yourself a little.

Latest posts

Back