Hello, may I introduce myself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanL53

Reaction score
And then I go right on doing so without an answer.  "Oh, one of those kind of people?".  No, not really but I couldn't think of a better thing to say, and I thought about the time when I was twelve and met my eventual best friend for the rest of my youth as he approached a large group of we neighborhood kids, stuck his hand out, and said, "I'm Patrick."  Clearly he was coached by his Dad and had never had to go try to make friends before!

So in honor of my friend those nearly forty years ago, RIP Pat, "Hello", extending hand, "I'm Dan".

Patrick reminds me of a friend of mine.  Welcome Dan.  I hope you find this site interesting.  There are plenty of good people hanging around.

Hey, Dan. It's nice that you mention your friend. It's good to remember those that have since passed on. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the replies.

I am a severe Agoraphobic. Since the New Year, I have visited with real people twice. Once for lunch. Once for an evening at my nephews where we had game night. About seven, eight people.

Otherwise, I have gone out of the house for groceries and such maybe, four times?

I've recently backslid a bit, and found myself buying groceries at 4am to avoid being around people.

So I know loneliness. You would think I strive on it but it is more like I am a prisoner of myself.

I was going to write all this in the first post, but I read a study recently that says loneliness is as bad for me as fifteen cigarettes a day, and worse than obesity. The grenade that blew my mind in the study was when they said that social media makes loneliness worse! So suddenly I was afraid to be on the computer!

I know what they said. Go out, volunteer...or something. But go out and be with real people. I've thought about it and I think that while that is a great idea...social media like this isn't preventing me from doing so! I just can't expect this to cure me. I get that. If I rely on it to be more than bit of help...I will get worse.

So that said. Yes, I was thinking of Pat and that day he had to suck it up and go meet a bunch of new kids all at once. I was thinking of how I was supposed to do that on here. And I was thinking this is not enough but I believe it is a **** sight better than nothing while I work on stepping outside.

So I am here. I am a 58 year old disabled male from the Midwest of the United States. I have some Mental Disorders but take meds, love my Doctor...oh, I saw her a week ago as well, that was a good day, and aside from building a nest that I seem too comfy in things are going great. I'm even coming out of my depression! Which of course has me looking around thinking, how do I make everything else better, because I am on a roll!

So you won't hear too much complaining out of me. More like positive opinions based on recent experiences that things do get better.

Your words are sweet to read. 
I’m glad you keep on pushing. 
I think that being online isn’t a substitute for real connections but.. it’s so much better than nothing! 
Being a prisoner by yourself. I can relate to that. It hurts when the bars that surround you are your own mind. Some days I want nothing but to break free, wanting things to be.. different. 
Anyways. 
I’m cheering you on. 🌈

Jessicat said:
I think that being online isn’t a substitute for real connections but.. it’s so much better than nothing! 
Being a prisoner by yourself. I can relate to that. It hurts when the bars that surround you are your own mind. Some days I want nothing but to break free, wanting things to be.. different. 
Anyways. 
I’m cheering you on. 🌈

Thank you.  And of course I hope everyone finds solace from their struggles.  Let me make it personal and say, you included.  

I suppose if I am going to stick around I should start reading other stuff...and maybe find appropriate places to post instead of just making this one long thread.

DanL53 said:
Jessicat said:
Anyways. 
I’m cheering you on. 🌈

Thank you.  And of course I hope everyone finds solace from their struggles.  Let me make it personal and say, you included.  

I suppose if I am going to stick around I should start reading other stuff...and maybe find appropriate places to post instead of just making this one long thread.

Don’t be afraid to jump in. 😁

*raise up hand*
Hello Dan, nice to meet you.
*extend hand*
Come play together!

See you around.

Latest posts

Back