New social experiment I've done. Talking to random strangers!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everywhere I went. I did get ignored by some but it was't painful, there's nothing I could do, it's the worst thing that could happen but it doesn't hurt a bit.

anything. usually i start out with introducing my name and then getting theirs. i good tip is you can talk abut each others name for example you can ask that's a nice name what does it mean etc etc

Azariah said:
anything. usually i start out with introducing my name and then getting theirs. i good tip is you can talk abut each others name for example you can ask that's a nice name what does it mean etc etc

I don't think most people know what their names mean.

I talked to a stranger today. I said "please don't curse in front of my son just because you are mad that you can't follow instructions." To which she replied "why don't you try saying that to my face, *****"
But that made no sense because I did...lol

TheRealCallie said:
I talked to a stranger today. I said "please don't curse in front of my son just because you are mad that you can't follow instructions." To which she replied "why don't you try saying that to my face, *****"
But that made no sense because I did...lol

I'm getting the soap.

Odd bit here. Not sure if it is true of all agoraphobics, but for me it is much easier talking to people I don't know, and being in places I have never been or better still do not ever have to be again.

My Psychiatrist has expressed the reasoning that I don't feel trapped on these occasions. And I think that is probably the best way to explain it. If I get overly panicked I can back my way out of these encounters quickly, without worry of explaining later.

It isn't perfect. I still have times where I leave a half finished shopping cart in a grocery aisle and make a dash to escape during a panic attack. But these events are rare these days as I am careful about when I shop to avoid crowds. LOL, all I ask, is old ladies, and it's always the old ladies, PLEASE quit blocking the aisle with your carts and your rears and especially when you corner me on both sides! Trigger! Triggertriggertrigger.

Yet, you will find me at garage sales and antique stores and driving two lane roads to small towns and out of the way places to eat...alone. And I'll be happy and singing to the radio and chuckling at the cheap prices as antiques are soooo undervalued these days.

It's a weird life when one struggles to understand their own illness. But I'm getting there. And yes, talk to strangers! Much easier than explaining why you didn't show up for Thanksgiving again!

I've been pushing myself to talk to people in queues like supermarkets and talking to bank cashiers .It's surprising how keen people are to talk back.I used to do my business in the bank and go but on Saturday thought what the hell so dead in here  so said to the cashier shame your stuck in here the weather so good outside.Ten minutes later after a good natter found out she being made redundant but could see she really wanted to talk.

So definitely worth the effort also had a nice chat with a nurse aswell but they get alot of abuse so think they enjoy talking to the nice people who aren't demanding.

I talk to strangers occasionally, but idk, most of the time I just don't feel like it. It's not even agoraphobia, it's more like, I just don't feel the need. Kudos to you if it's something you want to do, though.

Azariah said:
So far so good!

That's awesome! I occasionally do that when I want to annoy someone. It's fun to do that to people that are being jerks or act superior. I just walk up to them and be super positive. I say, hey that's really cool. Do you know how that works? Or, what does that taste like? Then you don't stop asking them questions. But, continue to be very positive and tell them they are smart and give them lots of compliments. It really confuses them. But, don't stop asking them questions. When they start to walk away follow them and keep talking to them. It's like playing a role in a movie like the Cable Guy.

iu

Latest posts

Back