Old guy with varied interests, from the U.S., seeking conversation.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanL53

Reaction score
Hello.   :shy:  I am new to this forum.  Please call me Dan, but do it really loud or I probably will not hear you.

I am a 58 year old male in the state of confusion, I mean, Illinois, in the United States.  I enjoy history, antiques, day trips to places I haven't been.  I am bi, but have lived a straight life since college.  Doesn't matter much as I've actually been living unintentionally celibate for several years anyway.

I am an agoraphobic, so I don't get out much.  Except for my treasure hunts where I love yard sales and antique stores, intentional repeat of info here for emphasis, small towns and out of the way places.  I have a nice collection of Mid-Century Art Glass.

I love movies, and have a big interest in Classic Hollywood.  

I like to chat online about any old thing.  I tend to be upbeat, and am riding a hot street of great luck the last couple of years.  Wonderful little old house, comfy as a blanket and hot cocoa!  Relatives keeping an eye on me so I don't barricade the front door and disappear for good.  

So what I would like to add in my life, is more social networking.  Particularly in the form of people who would enjoy sharing some PM's with me.  I haven't reached out to others looking for the same just yet as I felt like I would describe myself before just busting in and shouting, "Hallo thar!".  Maybe give others the opportunity to knock on my door, with the assurance that I tend to get along with just about anybody.  Unless, and please, no Trump Supporters.  There is no point in having a big old argument....

It doesn't matter much to me what location you are at, as I am really only looking for online chats.  Doesn't matter, guy or girl.  But I do tend to try to romance ladies as I have this horribly too high opinion of my prose and sentimentality.  

My turn on's if someone writes, are long notes about whatever, with descriptions and ideas and you just can't blather on too much for me.  I'm ugly as one can get, but won't try to fool anyone with fake pictures or lies.  And, I can be quite happy with a persons beauty when it is truth...everyone is beautiful.

My turn off's obviously would include liars.  And I don't mind people who are unhappy, or lonely...I mean, I'm lonely!  Just be aware I'm going to try to talk you up, not down.  And finally, I have a pet peeve about people who barely write.  I love to read what people say and feel crummy when I have to drag something out of them.

So, there it is.  Send a message sometime.

evanescencefan912 said:
Hi DanL53, I' wouldn't mind chatting with you over PM's :)

Oh, my, gosh!  Thank you for the PM, and I'm responding right now.  This is really...very...funny actually!  You'll see why!

Dan

What kind of classic Hollywood movies are you into?
I have seen a lot of Hitchcock, really enjoyed em actually. But, that’s as far as I have gone into the whole classic stuff. 
What movie would you recommend for someone that’s new to it?
Hope you have a great day. 🌈

Jessicat, without a doubt I would start anyone off with, "Modern Times", with Charlie Chaplin. It is a can't miss comedy, that these days proves prophetic and dark. Can't help but come out laughing, and thinking.

Or, moving further into the future (Every Birthday I go back one year instead of forward. So these are all yet to be made in my case. Next year, I will be sixty, but on my Birthday I will wake up in 1900 instead of 2020. I wonder what it is like in 2020? I suppose you have flying cars by now.) "Citizen Kane", Orson Welles...if you are into really serious stuff and need to hear your actors talking.

I'm only giving you the best ones. Some of which you will certainly have seen or at least heard of. "The Wizard of Oz", "Gone With the Wind". Now we've got four of the greatest films ever produced, for any age.

I'll toss out one more that I already mentioned before. But this time let me do it the right way:

I'll by the popcorn, you pick which order we watch them in. :)

DanL53 said:
Jessicat, without a doubt I would start anyone off with, "Modern Times", with Charlie Chaplin.  It is a can't miss comedy, that these days proves prophetic and dark.  Can't help but come out laughing, and thinking.

Or, moving further into the future (Every Birthday I go back one year instead of forward.  So these are all yet to be made in my case. Next year, I will be sixty, but on my Birthday I will wake up in 1900 instead of 2020.  I wonder what it is like in 2020?  I suppose you have flying cars by now.)  "Citizen Kane", Orson Welles...if you are into really serious stuff and need to hear your actors talking.

I'm only giving you the best ones.  Some of which you will certainly have seen or at least heard of.  "The Wizard of Oz", "Gone With the Wind".  Now we've got four of the greatest films ever produced, for any age.

I'll toss out one more that I already mentioned before.  But this time let me do it the right way:

I'll by the popcorn, you pick which order we watch them in.  :)

Did you say popcorn? Mmm. Can’t go wrong with popcorn. 😁
Then we are gonna watch The Wizard of Oz first. We need to start out a bit easy. 
The we crank it up with Citizens Kane, getting all serious. To lighten the mood we need Chaplin. He’s gone make us read to watch Gone With the Wind. 😁
Sounds like a deal? 
Hope you had a good day today! Mine wasn’t that bad and that’s a win for sure.

Jessicat said:
DanL53 said:
Jessicat, without a doubt I would start anyone off with, "Modern Times", with Charlie Chaplin.  It is a can't miss comedy, that these days proves prophetic and dark.  Can't help but come out laughing, and thinking.

Or, moving further into the future (Every Birthday I go back one year instead of forward.  So these are all yet to be made in my case. Next year, I will be sixty, but on my Birthday I will wake up in 1900 instead of 2020.  I wonder what it is like in 2020?  I suppose you have flying cars by now.)  "Citizen Kane", Orson Welles...if you are into really serious stuff and need to hear your actors talking.

I'm only giving you the best ones.  Some of which you will certainly have seen or at least heard of.  "The Wizard of Oz", "Gone With the Wind".  Now we've got four of the greatest films ever produced, for any age.

I'll toss out one more that I already mentioned before.  But this time let me do it the right way:

I'll by the popcorn, you pick which order we watch them in.  :)

Did you say popcorn? Mmm. Can’t go wrong with popcorn. 😁
Then we are gonna watch The Wizard of Oz first. We need to start out a bit easy. 
The we crank it up with Citizens Kane, getting all serious. To lighten the mood we need Chaplin. He’s gone make us read to watch Gone With the Wind. 😁
Sounds like a deal? 
Hope you had a good day today! Mine wasn’t that bad and that’s a win for sure.

That's a deal!

Subjectively, I'm a 30 year old straight, white, cis male dude, but if you want some company, drop me a line. I work 6 days a week at nearly 50 or so hours, but I float around here a bit after hours because: I mean, I'm not in my early 20's anymore, hangovers suck now more than ever, and I totally tossed the idea of romance out of the window (except of course with classical literature). I appreciate both Shakespeare and Lovecraft, and I spend a lot of time watching documentaries and college lectures from fields I find interesting. Traditionally I'm a creative musician, but I've come to appreciate all forms of art, even those which I cannot create myself I find motivation and influence about. Objectively though, I'm a narrow-minded hardass because my life unfortunately demands that I be. My parents are in their early 60s, and I work with a couple of bikers who are in their 60s. The company of older people, especially if they seem more articulated than I am has never been anything less than a command of my attentive focus. Welcome to A.L.L.

IncolaVacui said:
Subjectively, I'm a 30 year old straight, white, cis male dude, but if you want some company, drop me a line. I work 6 days a week at nearly 50 or so hours, but I float around here a bit after hours because: I mean, I'm not in my early 20's anymore, hangovers suck now more than ever, and I totally tossed the idea of romance out of the window (except of course with classical literature). I appreciate both Shakespeare and Lovecraft, and I spend a lot of time watching documentaries and college lectures from fields I find interesting. Traditionally I'm a creative musician, but I've come to appreciate all forms of art, even those which I cannot create myself I find motivation and influence about. Objectively though, I'm a narrow-minded hardass because my life unfortunately demands that I be. My parents are in their early 60s, and I work with a couple of bikers who are in their 60s. The company of older people, especially if they seem more articulated than I am has never been anything less than a command of my attentive focus. Welcome to A.L.L.

I would be happy to talk with you.  Shoot me a pm anytime.  And thanks for the welcome.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I'd love to chat as we're almost the same age. I'm 59, SWM, living in Texas (hence the user name).

My interests are reading (pretty much anything but mostly fiction), movies (from the classics to the modern era), music (with the exception of hip-hop), and trying to put my life back together.

If you want to be depressed you can search my user name for my only other post which gives my history which led to this place I'm at.

Not interested in political discussions either but we're in the same boat on that anyway.

Used to be into photography quite a bit but not so much the last few years.

If you'd like, drop me a pm and we can perhaps share a chuckle or two.

Tim

TexasMan said:
Hey Dan,

I'd love to chat as we're almost the same age. I'm 59, SWM, living in Texas (hence the user name).

My interests are reading (pretty much anything but mostly fiction), movies (from the classics to the modern era), music (with the exception of hip-hop), and trying to put my life back together.

If you want to be depressed you can search my user name for my only other post which gives my history which led to this place I'm at.

Not interested in political discussions either but we're in the same boat on that anyway.

Used to be into photography quite a bit but not so much the last few years.

If you'd like, drop me a pm and we can perhaps share a chuckle or two.

Tim

Thanks Tim!

Latest posts

Back