What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximum7

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Im trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It cannot be [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- A time machine [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-A teleporter [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-A matter replicator [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Synthetic tibanna gas [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Synthetic coaxium (hyperfuel) [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-A singularity Weapon [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Any type of droid [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Anything to do with holograms [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-A food synthesizer [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- A shrink ray [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-A freeze ray [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-pico and femtotechnology [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I’m trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren’t until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I’m looking for something that presumably hasn’t been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done. [/font]

I get myself in knots trying to come up with fresh ideas when it comes to fiction writing as well.

He is trying to derive the set of special relativistic thermodynamic transfinite transformations.

If I'm an expert on anything, it's Star Wars :D
(which probably, sadly explains a lot but anyway...)

Does it have to be a weapon or machine or something military-related? It would be hard to find something new there, because that's been done in Star Wars many times.

I was thinking something along the lines of a way to accelerate the evolution of animals, to make them become sentient much more quickly. Like creating a
new sentient race and civilization. Maybe it doesn't even start out as a military operation, but the scientist is trying to keep the project for their own ends and out of the control of governments.

Upgrading already-sentient life to the next level, like enhanced humanoids.

Or good old mind control, by technological means instead of the Force.

Or transferring consciousness into a machine.

Some of these have been done, but could be done in a new way perhaps?

hewhowalksalone said:
I get myself in knots trying to come up with fresh ideas when it comes to fiction writing as well.

I hear that, man. The struggle is real.

TheSkaFish said:
If I'm an expert on anything, it's Star Wars :D
(which probably, sadly explains a lot but anyway...)

Does it have to be a weapon or machine or something military-related?  It would be hard to find something new there, because that's been done in Star Wars many times.  

I was thinking something along the lines of a way to accelerate the evolution of animals, to make them become sentient much more quickly.  Like creating a
new sentient race and civilization.  Maybe it doesn't even start out as a military operation, but the scientist is trying to keep the project for their own ends and out of the control of governments.

Upgrading already-sentient life to the next level, like enhanced humanoids.

Or good old mind control, by technological means instead of the Force.

Or transferring consciousness into a machine.

Some of these have been done, but could be done in a new way perhaps?

hewhowalksalone said:

I hear that, man.  The struggle is real.

Yeah the evolution idea is good but I think the Empire did already that in Legends with a Kowakian Lizard Monkey named Pic

You say he doesn't believe in the Force. Could it be something along the lines of Psychology? like how some people say that Joan of Arc was schizophrenic and not having actual religious experiences.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.[/font]

[font=Roboto,]I found an idea in archeology. Thanks for all your help guys!!![/font]

[font=Roboto,]I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. [/font]

I’m making one last round on all the forums I posted on. I’m looking for something highly advanced.

I don't even know what half of that stuff means. lol Sounds like an interesting project though.

I decided extragalactic science; stuff outside the main galaxy would be a good venue. Based on astronomical ideas, what odd and unusual objects might a scientist encounter in the starless void of space in between galaxies. Creative ideas welcomed!

I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?

Maximum7 said:
I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?

I don't care whatsoever about Star Wars, but I do a lot of writing, so if it's unimportant to the rest of the narrative, then it doesn't matter at all. Why are you putting so much focus into what is essentially a background detail?

You could literally keep it vague like "He was working on a new scientific principle"; and bam, done. Now move onto the actual story you want to tell.

Maximum7 said:

what kind of science gobbledygook are you after? Because that's my language, particularly microbiology.

nibbysaurus said:
Maximum7 said:

what kind of science gobbledygook are you after? Because that's my language, particularly microbiology.

It can be anything. Microbiology works as long as it’s fictional and advanced enough for the Star Wars society.

Maximum7 said:
nibbysaurus said:
Maximum7 said:

It can be anything. Microbiology works as long as it’s fictional and advanced enough for the Star Wars society.

Are you sure you're not confusing Star Wars for Star Trek?

I never recall seeing technobabble in Star Wars; it's science fantasy. It's never been about the nuanced details.

[font=-apple-system,] I know I’ve been going nuts with these posts but I’m very curious about what a scientist could do in SW[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]I was asking for ideas on what a scientist could be working on in the Star Wars galaxy. However my list of can nots are more akin to what an engineer would be working on. Then I guess that’s what I really meant. So that being said I ask. What can an engineer in the Star Wars galaxy be working on?. He works for the canon New Republic.[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]Things he can’t be working on[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]1.) Dyson sphere- Believe it or not it already exists in SWTOR[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers aren’t that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]3.) A Giant Underground City- Sullust has tons of these.[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]4.) Kransnikov Tube- Would be too much of a gamechanger for travel[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]5.) Ford-Svaitar mirror- Too much of a gamechanger for travel[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]6.) Nicoll-Dyson Laser- We already have the Death Star and Starkiller Base[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]7.) Space elevator- They have those[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]8.) Shellworld- Waste of time. Plenty of planets to work with[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]9) Alderton Disk- Too big[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]10.) Ringworld- Exists on Ringo Vinda[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]11.) Underwater cities- Plenty of those[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]12.) Any type of space habitat.[/font]
[font=-apple-system,]Any ideas?[/font]

How about a blaster that can go through a lightsaber without being parried? Some kind of special...technobabble gas of compressed blah blah that isn't blocked by conventional lightsaber crystals.
Or, you know, steal from Star Trek. A terraforming device that can terraform a planet in a day but could also be used as a terrible weapon.

Latest posts

Back