Vacationing abroad on your own

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenish

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there are any other ALL users who travel to and explore foreign places on their own. Where have you been and what have seen and experienced?

My last trip (sadly one of only a handful) was to Istanbul, a two week stay during which I often just found myself sitting in a park watching people and reading. Sometimes the locals would walk up to me and start up a conversation often in Turkish which I didn't understand so nearing the end of the two weeks it did get a bit lonely. It was a bit scary at times especially when I got lost in some dodgy part of the city but for the most part it was a really pleasant experience.

I've been thinking about going abroad on my own as of late. The last time I went away was about 10 years ago and I don't really have anyone to go with so thought about this.

Some people are happy to do it but there's something about being in a foreign country alone I don't like. I don't think I'd want to go exploring alone (particularly at night) in a strange place. I suppose it would be different if you knew the place but I just don't have much experience with travelling abroad much.

9006 said:
I've been thinking about going abroad on my own as of late. The last time I went away was about 10 years ago and I don't really have anyone to go with so thought about this.

Some people are happy to do it but there's something about being in a foreign country alone I don't like. I don't think I'd want to go exploring alone (particularly at night) in a strange place. I suppose it would be different if you knew the place but I just don't have much experience with travelling abroad much.

I don't have anyone to go with me either and to be honest I prefer it that way. If you're on your own there is never a discussion about what to do next, you just go wherever you like. I also avoid being out at night but perhaps that's just silly.

A while ago I read on a Facebook forum about people just pitching up to an airport and buying a ticket to the next destination that appears on the overhead flight notifications. That is pretty awesome.

Greenish said:
I don't have anyone to go with me either and to be honest I prefer it that way. If you're on your own there is never a discussion about what to do next, you just go wherever you like. I also avoid being out at night but perhaps that's just silly.

A while ago I read on a Facebook forum about people just pitching up to an airport and buying a ticket to the next destination that appears on the overhead flight notifications. That is pretty awesome.

Well it depends who you go with. Ideally you'd want to go with someone who is likeminded, or laid back. I think sites exists where you can buy cheap, last minute flights out somewhere but it's a lottery. I like to plan it a bit more in advanced, because we've got this stupid "Brexit" rubbish going on it's making me a bit hesitant to book a holiday somewhere since nobody has a clue how it's going to effect things like holidays.

I could never do that, I don't have the guts. I'm always amazed when people do, it can't be easy. Even as lonely as it must be at times at least you are getting out and doing something constructive with your time.

Did it through Europe. Could get quite lonely and wasn't always the most fun of holidays but I did grow from it a lot.

I would travel alone if I was meeting someone I know where I was going.  But I wouldn't want to travel and experience places alone.  It would feel...I don't know, empty in a way, not as thrilling as it could be?  I would rather go and make memories with people I care about.  Experiencing something like that with someone would make it more special, in my opinion.

I take a few solo trips in Europe most years, which isn't really very adventurous because I already live in Europe. I don't have an amazing time on holiday but it's better than spending my time off work sitting around at home which is what I would be doing otherwise. I do enjoy myself just wandering around gawping at things but I have learnt to stay away from touristy areas in the evenings because they make me feel lonely. Also I like to keep on the move. I usually fly to one city, spend a few days there, catch a train somewhere else and fly back from there. More than three days in one place is too much.

Cleanairfilter said:
I take a few solo trips in Europe most years, which isn't really very adventurous because I already live in Europe. I don't have an amazing time on holiday but it's better than spending my time off work sitting around at home which is what I would be doing otherwise. I do enjoy myself just wandering around gawping at things but I have learnt to stay away from touristy areas in the evenings because they make me feel lonely. Also I like to keep on the move. I usually fly to one city, spend a few days there, catch a train somewhere else and fly back from there. More than three days in one place is too much.

You're lucky, its a 10 hour flight for me to get to Europe. Where I'm from public transport isn't well developed so when I do find myself in an European city taking trains and ferries is an absolute adventure. I must say 14 days in one city was a bit much but you do get to see a lot and once people start recognizing you they become more friendly.

Latest posts

Back