Dope

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Joturbo

Do you think cannabis should be made totally legal?I've totally changed my mind...what's your opinion?

If people use it responsibly, that would probably help. Unfortunately more and more people are less responsible with it. For me it's a better alternative to alcohol, and it makes music and creative thoughts more interesting. I don't really like being out and about when I'm stoned, I'm way more inclined to listen to some music or watch a documentary on astronomy, or something like that. It helps me with depression and anxiety, versus drinking which, kind of makes depression worse. It's very much a on my own time kind of a thing for me. Reading, while stoned, is awesome for me because I'm creative and so it launches me into my imagination that much more.

It's like anything; if it's abused then it becomes a problem. It's never appealed to me at all and when I was younger "getting high" was considered the cool thing to do (as well as smoking in general) and as some people grew into fully grown adults it followed them and it's pretty much all they did/do.

There's a lot of controversy over it being made legal and the implications. I don't know weather it's addictive or not since I've never really smoked it.. I once formed an opinion that it was just habit, but a lot of people (Young and older) spend hundreds of pounds a month on it and still smoke it every day and to me that sounds like a bit more than a habit.

Speaking from someone who lives in the UK I think if it was legal and free to use certain places would look like something out of the silent hill movies. Despite it being illegal for recreational use a small minority still walk around smoking it (particularly young teens) and the smell really is disgusting, I really can't stand it. I think it would be another poor example to the newer generation, and it would be pretty hypocritical from the government by saying smoking is the worst thing ever but smoking weed is ok.

IncolaVacui said:
If people use it responsibly, that would probably help. Unfortunately more and more people are less responsible with it. For me it's a better alternative to alcohol, and it makes music and creative thoughts more interesting. I don't really like being out and about when I'm stoned, I'm way more inclined to listen to some music or watch a documentary on astronomy, or something like that. It helps me with depression and anxiety, versus drinking which, kind of makes depression worse. It's very much a on my own time kind of a thing for me. Reading, while stoned, is awesome for me because I'm creative and so it launches me into my imagination that much more.

Thanks IncolaVacui

For replying.I've always been a drinker and know the benefits  and pitfalls e.g depression of that addiction. However I've never smoked cannabis but know people that do but have never asked the question what it does for them.I know they lead normal lives on it but have witnessed when they graduate to cocaine when their lives just hit rock bottom.

Forgive my lack of knowledge about it but increasingly realise I'm one of the few in society that don't smoke it but maybe that's the result of being a drinker.

Also just wondered if it was totally legal what the likely outcome would be..thanks again.

9006 said:
It's like anything; if it's abused then it becomes a problem. It's never appealed to me at all and when I was younger "getting high" was considered the cool thing to do (as well as smoking in general) and as some people grew into fully grown adults it followed them and it's pretty much all they did/do.

There's a lot of controversy over it being made legal and the implications. I don't know weather it's addictive or not since I've never really smoked it.. I once formed an opinion that it was just habit, but a lot of people (Young and older) spend hundreds of pounds a month on it and still smoke it every day and to me that sounds like a bit more than a habit.

Speaking from someone who lives in the UK I think if it was legal and free to use certain places would look like something out of the silent hill movies. Despite it being illegal for recreational use a small minority still walk around smoking it (particularly young teens) and the smell really is disgusting, I really can't stand it. I think it would be another poor example to the newer generation, and it would be pretty hypocritical from the government by saying smoking is the worst thing ever but smoking weed is ok.

Thanks 9006

Another that's never smoked it .... scotch mist comes to mind.I' m sort of confused though because the people I know that partake it hold down jobs long term e.t.c.

Joturbo said:
I' m sort of confused though because the people I know that partake it hold down jobs long term e.t.c.

Because it's not a 'hard' drug. People who smoke it often can still smoke it before/during work because they're used to it, or may not even think about it until they're out of work or in a stressful situation. Of course working and smoking isn't allowed and still impaires your judgement & thinking but it doesn't have an as dramatic effect like harder drugs.. and people who regularly smoke it there would be little indication if it's a small amount.

It became legal in my country this year. I am all for it. I personally don’t touch the stuff (aside from some experimentation in my teens and early 20’s - 20+ years ago now), but if people want to partake, go for it. It was a huge deal in the weeks before it officially became legal - all over the media for days on end, but now that it’s been legal for a few months it’s business as usual - the people that use it continue to, the rest don’t really care. It takes a huge burden off the police, and they can focus on more serious crime rather than busting someone for a little bag of weed. There’s also a booming business in cannabis-related products.

ringwood said:
It became legal in my country this year. I am all for it. I personally don’t touch the stuff (aside from some experimentation in my teens and early 20’s - 20+ years ago now), but if people want to partake, go for it. It was a huge deal in the weeks before it officially became legal - all over the media for days on end, but now that it’s been legal for a few months it’s business as usual - the people that use it continue to, the rest don’t really care. It takes a huge burden off the police, and they can focus on more serious crime rather than busting someone for a little bag of weed. There’s also a booming business in cannabis-related products.

Thanks Ringwood

Has there been any spike in driving while on cannabis in Canada.Do you think it would be different in places like London where everything is more condensed than Canada apart from your main cities obviously.Do you think the detection of drivers under the influence of cannabis  would be difficult compared to drink driving?

Joturbo said:
ringwood said:

Thanks Ringwood

Has there been any spike in driving while on cannabis in Canada.Do you think it would be different in places like London where everything is more condensed than Canada apart from your main cities obviously.Do you think the detection of drivers under the influence of cannabis  would be difficult compared to drink driving?

I don’t think so, no more than usual. You might find these links useful - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/public-safety/cannabis
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/tickets/Pages/drug-impaired-driving-new-laws.aspx

The laws around cannabis are similar to those we have for alcohol - you can’t just walk down the street toking a joint, same as you can’t wander down the road with an open beer can.

P.S. - It actually became legal last year, in October - not this year.

ringwood said:
Joturbo said:
ringwood said:

Thanks Ringwood

I don’t think so, no more than usual. You might find these links useful - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/public-safety/cannabis
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/tickets/Pages/drug-impaired-driving-new-laws.aspx

The laws around cannabis are similar to those we have for alcohol - you can’t just walk down the street toking a joint, same as you can’t wander down the road with an open beer can.

Yeah alot of restrictions there still.I did once ask someone did they know what strength cannabis they were smoking and surprisingly they had not a clue and apparently it's getting stronger.I wonder how this would effect the legal minefield of prosecuting whilst driving under the influence. 

As with alcohol i wonder if the age limit will make a difference..I remember sneeking a bottle of rum into a pub at age 16 and ordering cokes with a few lads many years ago..kids will always push boundaries. Think it's the way to go though something got to change what with having hardly any police in London anymore.

It should be legalized, in my opinion. My state just legalized it for medical purposes, but not recreational. People smoke weed, people get high. It's no different than alcohol. And honestly, it's a hell of a lot safer than cigarettes health wise, in my opinion.

Ha ..Yeah I'm bailing out now .Just started reading article about drugs on University campuses in my Sunday paper The Daily scaremonger, which is a bit of a shocker and  my youngest going in two years☹....

No. I know it's harmless and has some effects, but I just don't care for it. I remember being annoyed when this was only being being rallied for by obvious stoners, and they were hamming up "effects" and all that. I just wanted to say, "Come on, you just want to get high, stop bullshitting."

So, no.

All drugs should be legalized in my opinion or at least decriminalized. Whether you like it or not, the war on drugs approach has never succeeded anywhere.

Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
No. I know it's harmless and has some effects, but I just don't care for it. I remember being annoyed when this was only being being rallied for by obvious stoners, and they were hamming up "effects" and all that. I just wanted to say, "Come on, you just want to get high, stop bullshitting."

So, no.

That is a really stupid reason to be against legalization of something just because you "don't care for it." People shouldn't have to fear ending up with a criminal record (or sent to prison in a minority of cases) just for something that is far less harmful than Alcohol. Also, legalization isn't proven to cause a jump in consumption.

You do also realize that those "stoners" you are talking about can usually get high regardless right?

I also saw that some of the earlier posts seemed to be referencing the "gateway drug" theory which has been proven to be pretty dubious at best:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/all-about-addiction/201807/is-marijuana-gateway-drug

LostintheBardo said:
All drugs should be legalized in my opinion or at least decriminalized. Whether you like it or not, the war on drugs approach has never succeeded anywhere.

So, no.

That is a really stupid reason to be against legalization of something just because you "don't care for it." People shouldn't have to fear ending up with a criminal record (or sent to prison in a minority of cases) just for something that is far less harmful than Alcohol. Also, legalization isn't proven to cause a jump in consumption.

You do also realize that those "stoners" you are talking about can usually get high regardless right?

I don't have strong preferences either way, but why would I ever want to cater to people I don't like and give them what they want?

LostintheBardo said:

So, no.

I don't have strong preferences either way, but why would I ever want to cater to people I don't like and give them what they want?

Um, maybe in recognition of the fact that those people in the very least probably don't deserve to be criminalized on such a basis? For what it's worth, I'm not much a fan of anime, I certainly don't think the people who do like it should have to watch it in secret to avoid legal prosecution of any kind.

I'd like to add that Cannabis has helped me to come out of a really self-destructive phase of my life and that I think I would have ruined my entire 20s (I've just turned 28) if I hadn't got into it. I'm in a much healthier mindset nowadays and am focused on what matters in life. Just another perspective to consider.

LostintheBardo said:
LostintheBardo said:

So, no.

Um, maybe in recognition of the fact that those people in the very least probably don't deserve to be criminalized on such a basis? For what it's worth, I'm not much a fan of anime, I certainly don't think the people who do like it should have to watch it in secret to avoid legal prosecution of any kind.

I'd like to add that Cannabis has helped me to come out of a really self-destructive phase of my life and that I think I would have ruined my entire 20s (I've just turned 28) if I hadn't got into it. I'm in a much healthier mindset nowadays and am focused on what matters in life. Just another perspective to consider.

Nice strawman.

Why do you care so much about my opinion anyway? Just disagree and move on. Or did you want this entire topic to just be an echo-chamber for you?

And wow, so because you needed to use drugs to ease your life, that makes it viable and okay for everyone else? Such a sound and riveting argument.
Good for you. It doesn't apply to me. And in fact, I'd recommend just about any other solution to digging oneself out of that predicament than what you chose. What other treatments did you try, by chance, or even consider? You seem to put way too much faith in that this solution was literally the only one that could've possibly worked.
I doubt that, nor do I find it a sound argument for your pro-stance whatsoever.

Its a ******* plant.

They should make prescription drugs illegal from all the overdoses that have happened. Lol.

Azariah said:
Its a ******* plant.

They should make prescription drugs illegal from all the overdoses that have happened. Lol.

So if it's from nature and a plant, that means it's automatically safe for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants

These riveting points are the pro-arguments, so if you want a more solid answer as to why I say no to it, here you go. Good start.

Joturbo said:
Thanks IncolaVacui

For replying.I've always been a drinker and know the benefits  and pitfalls e.g depression of that addiction. However I've never smoked cannabis but know people that do but have never asked the question what it does for them.I know they lead normal lives on it but have witnessed when they graduate to cocaine when their lives just hit rock bottom.

Forgive my lack of knowledge about it but increasingly realise I'm one of the few in society that don't smoke it but maybe that's the result of being a drinker.

Also just wondered if it was totally legal what the likely outcome would be..thanks again.

I'm actually kinda juiced most of the time I post. :p  I have high social anxiety and suffer crippling clinical depression. I also can't smoke right now anyways. Admittedly part of the reason why I smoke is also because it helps me deal with things emotionally through thinking them through better. A LOT of my friends are dead, and there have been at least 2 occasions already where I've soaked up two beach towels of human blood during hard times with people and had to throw them away and take those people to the hospital. Marijuana helps me deal with the emotional trauma I have from being in those kinds of situations and seeing the things that I've seen. I also really don't smoke all that often. It's been like 5 months since I last smoked, and 3 months since before that time. I kind of alternate my marijuana usage and alcohol usage according to my budget. When my tolerances gets too high, I switch, and when they're both too high: I stay sober for a while and dry myself out because it's better for my bank account that way.

I never liked being drunk in public either. Although, waking up the next day from a whiskey binge kinda makes me scared to reach for my phone or check my Firefox history. Part of me sometimes is kind of like: "I did what??" or "I said what??" LOL. I try to make it a point however, to NOT make decisions while inebriated, I also try not to talk to people but for some reason (probably because I'm lonely) I want to be more social in an altered state of consciousness. But I'm less prone to open my mouth and stick my foot in it if I'm stoned than if I'm drunk. But I don't like talking to people when I'm stoned because thinking is honestly a lot more fun.

And I don't understand how people can be stoned at work.
I've only tried that once, it was years ago, and I absolutely hated it.
It felt like the day took forever...
I've already gotta be at work for like 8 or 9 hours. I don't want that to feel like 12 or 13 hours. Smh.

Latest posts

Back