Cheap or free temporary alternative for therapy?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have gone back to school so I can get a decent job to afford things like therapy. Problem is that I won't be out of school for another 2 years, and then I will have student loans to pay off, so I won't be able to get any professional help for quite some time. I was in youth counseling 6 years ago, but am not eligible for that anymore, and it was really just a place to vent; I don't think they were allowed to give feedback or advice. 

Is there anyone else who has needed therapy of some sort, but had to wait a very long time before you could get it? What helped you while you waited? Did you find an alternative that was somewhat helpful?

I joined a church....the fellowship with some of the people helps pretty well. I joined ALL, it helps a little bit. I volunteer my time and talents in public service...that helps more than I expected it to. I'm generous to panhandlers, beggars and down-and-outers who sit in public with cardboard signs asking for help (some of them might not be scam artists) and I don't hesitate to give a hand to people in trouble but not so much trouble that it'll rub off on me.....people with flat tires, things like that.

Doesn't answer your question does it?

Dunno what to tell you. I'm in a couple of Buddhism for beginners FaceBook groups. I stay sober, eat a sensible diet and get some exercise every few days. I keep a journal. Maybe some day I'll actually be glad to live through my days......

I'm not quitting on hope.

Danielle said:
Your school may offer student medical services, and mental health help... check into it

They do, but it's just the kind of counselling where the person is not trained enough to assist or give perscriptions, just useful for venting. 

Does anyone know an affordable online psychiatrist?

constant stranger said:
I joined a church....the fellowship with some of the people helps pretty well.  I joined ALL, it helps a little bit.  I volunteer my time and talents in public service...that helps more than I expected it to.  I'm generous to panhandlers, beggars and down-and-outers who sit in public with cardboard signs asking for help (some of them might not be scam artists) and I don't hesitate to give a hand to people in trouble but not so much trouble that it'll rub off on me.....people with flat tires, things like that.

Dunno what to tell you.  I'm in a couple of Buddhism for beginners FaceBook groups.  I stay sober, eat a sensible diet and get some exercise every few days.  I keep a journal.  Maybe some day I'll actually be glad to live through my days......

This is some of the best advice I’ve read on this forum.

ringwood said:
constant stranger said:
I joined a church....the fellowship with some of the people helps pretty well.  I joined ALL, it helps a little bit.  I volunteer my time and talents in public service...that helps more than I expected it to.  I'm generous to panhandlers, beggars and down-and-outers who sit in public with cardboard signs asking for help (some of them might not be scam artists) and I don't hesitate to give a hand to people in trouble but not so much trouble that it'll rub off on me.....people with flat tires, things like that.

Dunno what to tell you.  I'm in a couple of Buddhism for beginners FaceBook groups.  I stay sober, eat a sensible diet and get some exercise every few days.  I keep a journal.  Maybe some day I'll actually be glad to live through my days......

Some of us are not religious. The exercise and diet stuff is applicable to everyone though.

MildlyInteresting said:
ringwood said:
constant stranger said:

Some of us are not religious. The exercise and diet stuff is applicable to everyone though.

You are missing the point - whether it’s a church or otherwise, it’s the fellowship with others that I’m saying is good advice. I am not religious either. You could technically get fellowship at an animal shelter, volunteering to cudde unloved dogs and cats. The point is getting out there, sharing your talents, being nice to people, lending a helping hand - that stuff can do wonders!

Latest posts

Back