ARE YOU ONE OF THESE PEOPLE?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DreamingOfValdez

I work in retail. At my job I deal with a lot of people (mostly women). All I want to know is when someone has a bad day, why on earth do they go shopping, and take it out on me? I think some people even save their anger for me. For example, a lady is having a bad day, so she goes to the grocery store. Her attitude and personality are already foul due to her circumstances. So she takes it out on the cashier. Then she drives over to my store. She doesn't need to be rude, because she already took it out on the clerk at the grocery store. She shops, she pays, and she leaves. Two days later, she's in a bad mood again. Since she hasn't taken it out on anyone today, so she drives to the store I work at, purley to take her aggression out on me!
Now tell me, what part of that is okay? what the hell is wrong with people?!?! What part of their brain, justifies treating a totally polite stranger like sh*t!!!!!!! If you're having a bad day, don't go ruin someone else's day. Stay home and go back to bed, try again tommorrow. Please, Please, Please..........DON'T GO SHOPPING!:p

I think ladies like shopping in all cases, it's part of their life, maybe that coincidence brought the lady in her bad mood to your store, but for sure you meet others with nice mood.

realandtruelove said:
I think ladies like shopping in all cases, it's part of their life, maybe that coincidence brought the lady in her bad mood to your store, but for sure you meet others with nice mood.

I definately meet a lot of great people at my job, but a person who acts like this makes me forget about all those great people. I think it's pretty messed up to deliberately upset someone, because you are upset. The only people who have earned that right are senior citizens. I think it you've lived, loved, and lost countless times, and you are nearing the end of your lifetime, that you've gained the right to walk around as a miserable person. For everyone else, acting like this just makes them seem like bad people.

You're right, I understand, how it upsets you. I think if I'm in that situation, either I'll be so upset or I'll loose my nerves. I have a nice idea, it needs a little bit training, but at the end will help - at the end of the day ater you finish your work, forget completely what happened during that workig day. It's not easy but will help you relax after work and during weekends.

Yeah, that's what i do after every working shift: i go home and forget about the day. retail sucks, and i think the soullessness of it all is a large contributor to my depression. it's all so fake!

at work, we get praise, bonuses and recognition for selling things to people that they generally don't need. there are so few cases where i fully believe in the thing i'm trying to sell the person, or the thing they're buying will be of any benefit to them. most of the time i'm just a player in this huge farce that keeps our precious society afloat. i actually do think north america is great and we are so lucky here, but we're so dependent on lying to people about products or services, or convincing them that they NEED the thing we're selling that none of us knows what our real needs are anymore. the vicious cycle of it all really really sucks!! sorry for my rant, by the way.

Hi Alice,

I agree. I'm against the rampant consumerism in America. That's why I don't buy things. Seriously. I can't tell you the last time I wasted my hard earned money on expensive jewelry, makeup, perfume, shoes, etc. People really need far less than they have or purchase.

What kind of retail do you do?

I know exactly how you feel like! I got a similar job to yours. Been working there for almost three years now. Our staff have a reputation for being very nice and friendly, so you usually try to talk a lot and be nice to the customers. It's not very easy. Some people are very nice, and they really make you feel better, but then there's the people who will just do everything to piss you off. I have to stand there and be polite while they just keep throwing stealth insults at me. You have to smile, but you really want to punch them in the face. Then you have to suck up the anger and be polite to the next customer, and the one after that ect...

After three years I've learned to just accept it or ignore it. Some days 99% of the customers seem to be furious, and I just don't have the energy to get annoyed. They can act how the hell they want, but if they're giving me crap, they won't get a smile back from me. I try to think that there's people who have a lot more problems than me getting annoyed at idiots, and I have to keep my spirit up for those people.

I can't tell you it will get better, but try to learn how to deal with it. Some people are just idiots, but you're not! :)

Wow! This is the exact reason why I really don't want a job, especially in retail. I can't stand people yelling at me, I just break down into tears. So bascially, I wouldn't be a very good employee, and would not be able to keep a job for very long.

he he he ,that reminds me of those bad days when i used to work in a shop!! for me, i tried toooo much to stay calm but it's not my nature! when i see something wrong, i say: Stop! that's wrong!!
i remember one summer time, the weather was a bit hot, even inside an air conditioned store! a customer came to me, Full of Sweat, with xxl  men underwear! and he asked me if he can try them!!!  because of the shop regulation, i had to allow him but i just couldnt stand the idea that he leave those underwear for another customer to buy them! or that we throw that whole pack after he kindly put his stuff in it! so i denied!
what happend!? he told me : WHY!? YOUR COLLEAGUE (JUST THE ONE BEFORE U CAME in) ALLOWED ME TO TRY THE SAME ITEM!!!! have you notice that!!? he obviously tried an XL underwear before that!! and now he's tryin the XXL!
how can you explain this please!?

I use to work at fast food i would get pissy people all the time and i would just strait up add as much to their bill as i could. such as presing a the mist. item buttion then adding like $2.00 to the bill and i hated the manegers so i gave every one i liked a 10% discount on food buy pressing the seinor discount button. ^^

Outlaw, you rock!

Sadly working retail sucks. if you can track it down there's a fantastic Too Much Coffee Man strip titled "would you rather work in retail or have a nail driven through your hand?" which neatly sums up how much cutomers suck. :)

I used to work in a book shop where people would make such genius statements as "I'm looking for a book, i don't know who it's by or what it's called but it's about art and it has yellow on the cover..."

I used to say "the IQ of a customer is inversely proportional to the number of customers you have to deal with" if you talk to 1 or 2 people a day you can stand them. 200 to 250 and everyone is a moron! :)

i think most of the time when you go to a business place, people don't think of the workers as people more of just objects that are working
kind of sad

I know this probably isn't something you want to hear, but the circumstances of the situation are EXTREMELY important.

If you are doing something disrespectful or negative to this lady and she is already in a bad mood, then unfortunately you are the problem and not her.

For example, I hate grocery shopping because people block isles and bring their loud kids, etc., etc. so when I go grocery shopping it is not a pleasant experience for me. Now I am not mean to the cashiers because I unfortunately am not gifted with being a sociopath like many people I've interacted with and I feel some kind of empathy and compassion for the people. But when the cashier says "How are you today sir?" with a fake unsympathetic smile that is just for their own personal pleasure and ignore my feelings it is rude and sad for me. And my answer will not be to strike up conversation; I will just say "... fine" or "...good" because this person does not consider my feelings and wants me to be their entertainment clown. honeysuckle like that slowly rips my metaphorical soul apart until someday I may truly believe there is no point in living anymore. I'm too ****ing sensitive. And the ****ed up thing is that these same thoughtless few cashier people get annoyed at me?! And reply with a harsh sounding auditory vocals and say I'm rude?! WTF! I don't say anything mean. I don't use an aggressive harsh sounding tone. I'm passive! Just leave me alone! You know.

This world is insane.

Of course the lady might just be a big fat ******* :p

But yeah...

lol Anonymous, Next time they ask you how you are. you should tell them. just say well since you asked am on a ***** of a day. Some jack ass has just ran into my feet from behind cos they was not watching what they was doing and that screaming kid that's out of control there has just added to my already bad headache that I have. plus I have not got anything I wonted cos your out of stock on the things I wont again. But apart from that am fine thanks, How you? lol See what she says. And if she says ow OK. Just say now you was not really bothered about how I was feeling was you? lol. I would pay money to be next in the QU behind you if you did that hahah.

I think that ppl are impolite to this workers that really do not get paid enough for the abase that they put up with, But ye I think ppl treat them like that because to the ppl that is doing it they are not real ppl in that they don't know them personally so think they wont take it personal. I used to work in a pizza shop and let me tell you there is nothing weirs then hungry drunk ppl. I told a few ppl where to get off. I mean I simply was not getting paid enough to take what some ppl thought was exportable. I never took it personal but a few times my personal space was invaded.

Anonymous said:
And reply with a harsh sounding auditory vocals and say I'm rude?!

Hahahaha "harsh sounding auditory vocals"... that was just too funny.

The phrasing'll make me laugh every time.

Heh, Bluey I don't think I can do something like that. But it would be interesting if I could. I could never be a pizza delivery man, oh man I would go crazy. There are some jobs I would rather die than work in:

*Selling food/anything at a cart somewhere
*working in a theme park
*Being a salesman/telemarketer
*Delivering pizza or anything to a personal residence
*Doing any kind of help-desk/troubleshooting helping customers over the phone stuff

Other than that I can stay sane.

Zrask, glad you found it funny, maybe I will too someday :p

well I was the chef BTW, But I had to deal with taking the order's cooking all the food and dealing with two drives that was under me all by my self. It was a stressful job. and ye deal with the drunks in the shop all by my self as well. NOT GOOD. But ye working in any job where you have to deal with the public is a real pain in the ass. There are some very stupid and arrogant ppl out there.

I think this kind of behavior exists almost everywhere and not only in retail. Also with men too. Men can have a PMS day too. I mean PMS= Pissy Day Syndrome. lol.
I don't work in retail, I have a job which you guys would classify as "a stuck up snobby job."
Yet I come across such people almost everywhere. Plus the service thing totally sucks over here in Europe. Over here the service people are the king, the customer is the slave.
I'll give you an example.
One day I met up with my mom for coffee and cake. She made a sign at a waiter and said "Excuse me can you please come over so we can order our drinks?" He yelled at her across the room and said. "Hey lady, have some patience, you just sat down, learn how to be patient". My mom is in her 60s and the waiter was in his younger years. His impoliteness stroke a nerve and I said. "Hey smart guy, my mom is much older than you so you should show some respect and we are not here to get schooled." He came over and he continued his obnoxious ways and in a very loud voice, told us why he is right and we are wrong. I said "Listen, we are only here to have a quiet time, some cake and coffee, so I don't appreciate you yelling across the room, embrassing my mom, and acting impolite" He was like "as a customer you have to have patience and wait for the waiter to serve you" "I said you know what?" "Customer mustomer" "I am not going to take orders from you smarty pants" "I said we politely asked you to serve us and you are being impolite and I don't need that honeysuckle."
He left. Then he told his coworkers not to serve us. I thought, allright *******, I am gonna stand up and leave in 5 mins. You can shove the cake and the coffee where the sun don't shine. So his boss came over and told us it could be our fault blah blah. He said the waiter told him that my mom is an old naggy woman who comes over all the time and does "this" pretty frequently. And this was NOT TRUE. Wtf?
I said "listen, you were not here when this all took place and if you wanna be that way, whatever, I am gonna leave in five minutes so you can serve the coffee and the cake to someone else. OK?" Then he went back and talked to the nasty waiter and offered to cover the bill cause he realized they were at fault.
After that I never went there again.

Unfortunately we live in a society where it is so much easier for everyone to accuse others and deflect any blame on to other people.

People are not polite any more generally. They are always out for themselves and they are always seeking to get something for nothing.

I appreciate everyone's point of view here but sometimes it should be about the way we make others feel. Instead of saying what we really think sometimes we have to accept that the situation is not going to be to our liking...in which case get up and leave...remove ourselves from the situation and move on.

Life is just too short these days to have all this conflict in our lives. All too often we look back on events that have happened and dwell on them. We should all take the rough with the smooth...enjoy the smooth times whilst we can...and ignore the rough times...work through them...and learn from what we know.

When I started doing the job that I do I used to get verbally abused on a regular basis...and this is in education...I talk through the problems that people have and gain respect from that...I have been physically assaulted by someone and yet still have the guts to stand there and talk to them...because as part of my job I have to.

Sometimes we do have to grin and bear it...but other times we can walk away.

Latest posts

Back