What kind of person would sign up as a member for A Lonely Life Forum ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humourless

Reaction score
Im fascinated by what might be the cross section of people who join up to a forum like this.
Some might think its like admitting defeat. "Im lonely so I need to join a forum like A Lonely Life." Look Im glad to be given the chance to post on here. But The forum title may reinforce low self esteem for example. And how long before the common ground of being lonely wears off?
I once joined a social anxiety forum. It was quite lively and the common mental health issue seemed to bond people together. If nothing else you can compare how bad your social anxiety is. Also I joined a very lively Christian forum. Religion can be controversial but also interesting as different slants on what constitutes "the truth" is bound to attract opinions. 
People on both forums were lonely though. And come to think of it so are people on Twitter and Facebook. We live in a lonely world exacerbated perhaps by social media but not all the time. 
Just curious to see if calling a forum "lonely life" attracts and keeps members. 
I came here out of curiosity. I got sick of the bigger forums actually. And they got sick of me. Im hoping that doesn't happen here. But hey I am a lonely guy so I qualify. But there are different levels of loneliness. Mine is not severe......yet. I have a feeling God might have some nasty surprise for me as I get towards my elderly years.

When I first came here, I was alone, I was lonely, I was defeated, I was...essentially, no one, a shell of a person. I was angry, I caused problems...oh yes, much bigger "problems" than I cause now. lol So yeah, I came here. I met so many wonderful people and they, along with other places I went, helped me find myself again. Helped me realize that I wasn't alone and that people could care about me.

Then I left after some things happened, which I won't go into. I was gone a little over a year and then I came back. I didn't come back because I was still feeling the same things I was when I originally came here. I wasn't really all that lonely and I was perfectly fine being alone. That's not the reason I came back. I came back because I had friends here, people were here that I could probably help, whether they were new people or the same people that were here the first time I was here. Some people are open to help and some people aren't, but I still try to help, whether they want it or not, because even if I can't help that particular person, maybe someone else is reading what I write and it will help them. I won't say I never get lonely because I do, I think everyone does, regardless of what you have or don't have in your life, but I'm okay with that. That's life, you just have to roll with the punches and work through honeysuckle so you can be better.

I don't really think it matters what the place is called, but it does draw people in. I think because of the name of the forum, it gives people more of a chance, it tells people that others might be more understanding of what they go through, it tells people that "hey, this place might have people who understand me and what I'm going through." None of our stories are the same, but just knowing that there are so many others out there who go through the same thing, as is evident by the name of the forum, I think that helps. Not everyone here is lonely though, it's still a public forum and anyone can join. Yes, we get trolls, yes we have those "bitches" who dare tell people what they don't want to hear, but all in all, I think this is one of the better forums, one of the more understanding forums. It also doesn't matter how severe your issues are, we all have our issues and ways of dealing with them (or not dealing with them), life isn't a contest. All we can do is be the best person we can be and keep trying.

I joined ALL as I was going through a divorce and just wanted somewhere where everything wasn't about my failed marriage. I met a lot of great people and formed some good friendships. After a couple of years, I closed my account for various reasons, but came back a few months later. When I rejoined, I was neither lonely nor unhappy - I just missed this place, I guess.

Most of the people I met back in 2012/13 are long gone and I don't visit the forum very often, but I know it's here when I feel the need for some human contact.

When I found this forum for the first time I had to admit that I'm lonely. I always tried to ignore it, because I'm shy, introvert and different from most of my peers I accepted it. So it wasn't easy to accept it but admitting that you have problems is the first step to solve them. Also, the look of the forum gives it a certain feeling with the profile picks, the smileys, and the overall older look, but the usernames are pretty decent though.
Like probably most people I found this forum through a google search for "loneliness forum". How else should you find this place? Which friends should recommend it?
I was searching for a forum like this because I wanted to find lonely people like me, who you don't find in everyday life because they are just as quite like you. But in a place like this, they open and share their experiences. Also, people who have been hurt, don't want to hurt others, because they know it sucks, so they try to help others instead. So here is a lot of potential for meaningful discussions.
I'm glad I joined, I've already met a few amazing people and I'm looking forward to finding more.

When I first joined this forum, I was living in a tiny little shithole of a town on the isolated west coast of Vancouver Island, BC. At the time, i was pregnant with my son, and feeling very isolated and miserable with my living arrangements and the place where I found myself. I wasn’t exactly lonely as I had (and have) a wonderful husband - I jist needed an outlet, somewhere to go to talk to people. After my son was born, I forgot all about the forum. About 8 years later, I found myself thinking about a particular friend I had made here so I came back - he was long gone, sadly, but I’ve just stuck around since then. 😊

I just needed to find a place to hopefully meet some new people, especially last year. The content is what most interested me, but I came long after much of the activity was over and it became just a shell. It didn't really have enough to stimulate me, or really offer what I was hoping to find, so I left for other places and had better luck there with making friends and more.

I came back again this year for mostly the same reason this year, ironically at the same time too. And I don't feel another repeat is out of the question; it's only because I have a mission here is why I'm sticking around, for now.
But after that, I have no qualms with leaving for quite a bit and only being on very very rarely.

In my experience people join forums of all genres out of loneliness. I've been a member of gaming forums where people join just to use the chat and never post a single thread. I know what it feels like to be lonely and it's an unpleasant state of affairs. I've learn to overcome my loneliness, and it feels good, and I want others to feel the same way, so I'm here.

Just a shame this place is so quiet. it really has potential. Id like a Christian sub forum but I do understand that can be annoying for others. 
One problem for me is I don't know others' stories and I don't want to bore them by asking them to repeat it.

I joined because of my current experience with a relationship. I met her under the circumstances of loneliness on another anxiety forum by happenstance. I made a thread she thought was interesting and decided to contact me. And it kind of went from there.

But that relationship turned out to be very tumultuous.

And I posted my story here and got some insight that in my gut already kind of knew. Maybe I needed it validated with others opinions.

This forum does seem a little light on activity. But I found it to be much more kinder than the other forum I had been on. The Anxiety forum I had been on seemed dominated by certain people and they used it as a soap box too much for their political views rather than use it as forum for its intended purpose. I felt like it turned into another ideological echo chamber.

But I guess in my relationship issues I came here looking for clarity? Perspective? So far people have been helpful.

ahsatan said:
Lonely, sad, depressed, hopeless.
I identify with the depressed part the most recently. Im lonely by choice really. 
Deep down I think I can do something about the "hopeless" part. So Im kind of hopeful. Being hopeful is what keeps us alive. otherwise we are the walking dead. Zombies.

PandaSwag said:
I joined because of my current experience with a relationship.  I met her under the circumstances of loneliness on another anxiety forum by happenstance.  I made a thread she thought was interesting and decided to contact me.  And it kind of went from there.

But that relationship turned out to be very tumultuous.

And I posted my story here and got some insight that in my gut already kind of knew.  Maybe I needed it validated with others opinions.

This forum does seem a little light on activity.  But I found it to be much more kinder than the other forum I had been on.  The Anxiety forum I had been on seemed dominated by certain people and they used it as a soap box too much for their political views rather than use it as forum for its intended purpose.  I felt like it turned into another ideological echo chamber.

But I guess i
n my relationship issues I came here looking for clarity?  Perspective?  So far people have been helpful.

Panda
you sound like an interesting yet decent guy.
maybe you can graduate to a more stable relationship now. I m married now for 28 years. She has more commonsense than me so I lucked out.

As panda said this place has some sincere and unique posts. people are genuinely here to help each other. I think there is no hierarchy of veteran posters to form a clique which you often see on forums.

Hmm...

A person who is striving for something they are missing or longing for. Even if they don't acknowledge the underlining. Could be small like a pen pal or big like a long-term relationship. Or entirely temporary and just testing the waters. Or, even someone with severe anxiety whose just being observant as an outlet to feel less alone or secure some confidence.

Whatever it is, what we do know is, he or she is a sentient and self-aware human being with an entire vastness of thoughts and feelings. No one should assume anyone is anything. Everyone's different in that regard. So, I'd rather not box it up.

Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I joined with intentions of finding someone just as messed up and broken as I am so that we can glue each other up. Being able to turn your mind off around someone and just let go and truly be yourself is an amazing thing. And I did, but reality and life gets in the way. As always.

honestly I initially joined because I wanted to vent about some of the struggles I am going through in life. because I find it hard to open up about personal problems to people I care about, since I don't want to cause them to worry. I just want someone to understand and just accept my issues without feeling the need to find a quick fix or feel sad for me. 
but then I found I like just reading the forums to see how other people are doing, and oddly knowing that other people are struggling too encourages me to just do better and try harder. 
so yeah I've just been reading forum posts

I think it's out of trying to find a sense of community and a feeling of kinship. Everyone needs that to various degrees. Lonely people seek to alleviate it.
i doubits productive to read too much beyond that.

Im perfect for this forum. Loner who love posting quality posts that hardly anyone reads. This forum is good therapy for talking to yourself. Like Gestalt Therapy but instead of two there is only one. Empty chair?

humourless said:
Im perfect for this forum. Loner who love posting quality posts that hardly anyone reads. This forum is good therapy for talking to yourself. Like Gestalt Therapy but instead of two there is only one. Empty chair?

😂
I’m aware of the emptiness. 😁

MissBehave said:
humourless said:

😂
I’m aware of the emptiness. 😁
i feel safe though

Latest posts

Back