Any Trekkies here?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
Black Manta said:
So long as it's not about STD, you could tell me.

It is. Have you watched any episodes?

Nope. Trek has been godawful since 2009 and STD isn't helping.

So if you have no plans on watching Discovery can I tell you what happened that completely, completely, absolutely threw me for the biggest loop of my adult life?

Black Manta said:
Black Manta said:
So long as it's not about STD, you could tell me.

It is. Have you watched any episodes?

Nope. Trek has been godawful since 2009 and STD isn't helping.

So if you have no plans on watching Discovery can I tell you what happened that completely, completely, absolutely threw me for the biggest loop of my adult life?

Is this still related to Star Trek? I'm getting confused now.

Yeah.... but what does something that changed your adult life have to do with a mediocre science fiction show? If I don't like or watch it, will I even be of any help in you telling me?

Yeah.... but what does something that changed your adult life have to do with a mediocre science fiction show? If I don't like or watch it, will I even be of any help in you telling me?

I guess nothing. To me it's a loneliness thing. You experience something that you are dying to talk about but there is no one, and it just makes you want to go in the backyard dig a grave and lie down in it.

My father would have love it. We didn't get along but Star Trek was one of the only thing we could share, but he,s been dead 20 years now.

Maybe a Star Trek themed forum would help you out. I actually left one simply because I was disgusted that the fanbase would defend STD to such levels simply because it bore the Trek logo. That, and other things, but maybe you'd like it there.

You'd definitely find people into this subject more than here.

Maybe a Star Trek themed forum would help you out. I actually left one simply because I was disgusted that the fanbase would defend STD to such levels simply because it bore the Trek logo. That, and other things, but maybe you'd like it there.

I'm actually curious of such a forum because I go through the exact opposite. Nothing but toxicity and treating Discovery like it's the Nickelback of television.

This science fiction fan loves anything good in the genre regardless of it's change or namesake. People often let the past, nostalgia, or politics hypocritically bother them just as much as the said cast and writing. Often confusing one's lack of open minded viewership and nitpicky-ness with 'passion'.

Season one was, "okay" to me. Loving Season two though. Many Trekkie's seem to forget or aren't old enough to know this has all happened before. The cycle of hating change has always been around. TNG was protested for years when it first started, now look at it!

Brannon Braga whom produced many Trek has moved over to The Orville, and his style of producing is what some fans love and miss. Star Trek is gearing towards modern television now and many are lost in translation imo. Could Discovery be better? Yes! Is it as god awful as some claim it to be? Not at all, in my opinion.

And in case there is any doubt, I have watched every incarnation of Trek. My favorite's being DS9 and Voyager. I also feel Enterprise got a very bad wrap that wasn't deserved and could have easily had a few more seasons. Then again, I'm kind of biased being a huge Quantum Leap and Scott Bakula fan. :p

Oh and to the OP, I too share similar sentiments with my father (passed for 11 years now) and always watched Trek with him. You aren't alone. :)

Siku said:

I'm actually curious of such a forum because I go through the exact opposite. Nothing but toxicity and treating Discovery like it's the Nickelback of television.

This science fiction fan loves anything good in the genre regardless of it's change or namesake. People often let the past, nostalgia, or politics hypocritically bother them just as much as the said cast and writing. Often confusing one's lack of open minded viewership and nitpicky-ness with 'passion'.

Season one was, "okay" to me. Loving Season two though. Many Trekkie's seem to forget or aren't old enough to know this has all happened before. The cycle of hating change has always been around. TNG was protested for years when it first started, now look at it!

Brannon Braga whom produced many Trek has moved over to The Orville, and his style of producing is what some fans love and miss. Star Trek is gearing towards modern television now and many are lost in translation imo. Could Discovery be better? Yes! Is it as god awful as some claim it to be? Not at all, in my opinion.

And in case there is any doubt, I have watched every incarnation of Trek. My favorite's being DS9 and Voyager. I also feel Enterprise got a very bad wrap that wasn't deserved and could have easily had a few more seasons. Then again, I'm kind of biased being a huge Quantum Leap and Scott Bakula fan. :p

Oh and to the OP, I too share similar sentiments with my father (passed for 11 years now) and always watched Trek with him. You aren't alone. :)

Thanks. I feel the same way about season one and two. There are so many shows that for some reason take me a few episodes to get into. I think the writing is more focused on seasons rather than episodes. I wasn't feeling The Expanse for example. I had to force myself a couple times to watch the first episodes. 

And what is going on with Quantum Leap? That is dying for a reboot or sequel.

...I'd watch neither a Quantum Leap reboot nor sequel. Maybe a a direct continuation as a special one off and that's it.
I really wish Hollywood or TVLand would try and come up with original stuff on it's own without dredging up the past and considerably devaluating it. Some things are better left there as the magical things we remembered them being (like Star Wars, without everything that came out since ROTJ, or Indiana Jones without the 4th and upcoming, probably bad, 5th film starring Harrison Ford in a wheelchair....).
Or spin off, such as Discovery, that's fine. But the ripping off is usually painful to watch on other things.
If they remake Firefly, I'm rending my garments!

Latest posts

Back