Interesting Points of View

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humourless

Reaction score
Some points of view lack intellectual rigor. Or don't stand the test of logic. But nevertheless they are interesting. And capture our imagination.
This is what I think JP was getting at. Don't look at things from one standpoint only. Respect scientific reason but don't be a slave to it. Use statistics now and then but don't let that be your only source of inspiration.
Well JP gets into archetypes and imaginative narratives. This what is makes him interesting. if he were just using statistics I would be bored silly. And many others may feel the same.
I was having a debate with a brother last night. He is a logic and stats hound. If the debate veers off that narrow path he gets annoyed. I can feel suffocated. Exhausted. Especially with someone who treats every conversation as a contest. He is a pretty smart guy but after a while I find his pov limited and unimaginative. 
Sometimes an off the wall opinion will get my attention. Ok the proud centrists will come the fore "it depends on the context and situation" as if their mature view is the final word. But I think we owe the ones who go out on a limb and express a strong opinion. They got the rest of us thinking at least. Do I agree with them? Why or why not?

I think it's good to be exposed to as many different points of view as possible. I'll never understand people who only consume media that isn't going to challenge their ideas. I think I prefer reading books that make arguments I don't agree with. In fact I have found that if I start reading something I expect to agree with I will often come away less convinced of the argument than I was before I started. Maybe I'm just a very disagreeable person.

Cleanairfilter said:
I think it's good to be exposed to as many different points of view as possible. I'll never understand people who only consume media that isn't going to challenge their ideas. I think I prefer reading books that make arguments I don't agree with. In fact I have found that if I start reading something I expect to agree with I will often come away less convinced of the argument than I was before I started. Maybe I'm just a very disagreeable person.
God forbid! I thought disagreeable persons were not allowed to join our forum!

Oh, my mistake. I thought this was the forum for the terminally disagreeable. Must have taken the wrong door.

Latest posts

Back