Spiritual Loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

humourless

Reaction score
I'll describe it for you.
I was living a decadent life. A slave to the senses. I knew a lot of people. they were my "drinking friends" or my "party animal" friends. I was kind of popular. Sex, drugs and rock and roll to be honest. God was another galaxy away. I didn't miss Him.....yet.
But of course there has to come a "rock bottom" moment, sooner or later. Losing my well-paid job was the start of the domino effect. My drinking friends soon disappeared. I was looking overweight, unhealthy and not good at job interviews. After 6 months of no job and no parties, I was feeling decidedly panicky and starting to question my past decadence. As I mulled it over, I thought "I haven't been to Church in over 7 years." So I went. I met some less flakey people afterwards. We went for coffee. No thrills but something else instead. Decency. Authenticity. Then I realised how I had ignored God all that time. I didn't even miss him. Thing is we tend not to need Him when we are having a good time. But the bad times come and we DO need Him. 
The trick is to need Him in good times and bad.

I think achieving an inner spiritual connection with the higher power is a first step toward happiness and success in all other fields of endeavor.
I also think that there are many paths to the same goal. I'm an active member of a Presbyterian church and also an enquirer into Buddhist philosophy. I don't see a conflict between the two.

constant stranger said:
I think achieving an inner spiritual connection with the higher power is a first step toward happiness and success in all other fields of endeavor.
I also think that there are many paths to the same goal.  I'm an active member of a Presbyterian church and also an enquirer into Buddhist philosophy.  I don't see a conflict between the two.
Some Christian conservatives would be aghast at your approach. My Catholicism seems to encourage it though. "there is a fragment of truth in all religions" come from the Catholic Catechism.

constant stranger said:

And I'm of the mindset that it's the first step in the wrong direction towards that goal in any sort of meaningful way.

Ecclesiastes said:

Why did you revoke your sentiments? You made some good powerful points and you're more than entitled to state such. The topic was getting interesting.

Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
constant stranger said:

And I'm of the mindset that it's the first step in the wrong direction towards that goal in any sort of meaningful way.

There are many paths to the same goal and I hope we both find happiness....and I'll never try to decide for someone else what's right for them.  But I do get to share my own choices.
However, debating spiritual topics may be a bit against the rules on ALL.  I'll defer to the mods on that......

constant stranger said:
constant stranger said:

There are many paths to the same goal and I hope we both find happiness....and I'll never try to decide for someone else what's right for them.  But I do get to share my own choices.
However, debating spiritual topics may be a bit against the rules on ALL.  I'll defer to the mods on that......

Seconded on that.

I pray for the people offended by my thread. That they will learn that bullying and intimidation are not the right way to treat anyone.
Lord if these people are becoming my enemies, please help them in their misery.

humourless said:
I pray for the people offended by my thread. That they will learn that bullying and intimidation are not the right way to treat anyone.

You're seriously losing your mind tonight and not presenting a good case for christians.
It's exactly this kind of blind fanaticism that puts people off to begin with.

humourless said:

You're seriously losing your mind tonight and not presenting a good case for christians.
It's exactly this kind of blind fanaticism that puts people off to begin with.
I wont take offence at your disrespect and calumny. Repent and sin no more ye of little faith!

Ecclesiastes said:

Why did you revoke your sentiments? You made some good powerful points and you're more than entitled to state such. The topic was getting interesting.

I tend to overshare and regret it afterwards.

Ecclesiastes said:
Ecclesiastes said:

I tend to overshare and regret it afterwards.

That's too bad, because I think you really could've added a lot to this topic. I think your views on this subject are pretty interesting, to be honest, and it was nice getting more elaboration. Also, literally anything is better than what we have now going on here, with someone clearly drunk on authority and rambling like a crazy person.

humourless said:
I wont take offence at your disrespect and calumny. Repent and sin no more ye of little faith!

Congrats, and welcome to my ignore list.

Fellow Christians see what I have to suffer. We have to have the courage and endurance to see it through. Wear your breastplate of armour even we take a non violent non blasphemous approach to communication.

cullie is at least glad that she is getting my valuable attention now

And that's enough of that, this isn't a civil discussion anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back