Should I even feel this way?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my fiancé, my mum, dad, a brother, sister and a niece and two nephews. I have a full time job where I work in small office (just three of us) and we all get along well (though, not socially outside of work) but I don't really have anyone to call a friend. 

Given that I have all that I listed, I feel selfish for feeling this way? Why don't I just feel grateful for what I have? It's not like I'm not grateful. But that I feel weird for having no one to call my friend?

:(

I wrote this in your introductory topic, I don't think you're out of line to feel this way. You're not getting something you want.

And I'm most concerned you have a fiance who you don't consider a friend at all. I mean, don't you see something kinda off about that too?

Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
I wrote this in your introductory topic, I don't think you're out of line to feel this way. You're not getting something you want.

And I'm most concerned you have a fiance who you don't consider a friend at all. I mean, don't you see something kinda off about that too?

No, it was just the way I wrote it :)
I meant, other than him..

TheLonelyBones said:
I have my fiancé, my mum, dad, a brother, sister and a niece and two nephews. I have a full time job where I work in small office (just three of us) and we all get along well (though, not socially outside of work) but I don't really have anyone to call a friend. 

Given that I have all that I listed, I feel selfish for feeling this way? Why don't I just feel grateful for what I have? It's not like I'm not grateful. But that I feel weird for having no one to call my friend?

Hi no its definetly important i think to have friends outside even a close relationship and certainly not selfish to feel that you need a friend.There are some things just too personal that you just cant talk to your partner about and some subjects you know through experience will cause conflict with your partner so best to have a friend that you can confide in.
Thinking back it keeps a relationship fresh just having the occasional break from each other and having a good conversation about anything  with a good mate knowing nothing will get back to the family .l had a few friends like that..a good game of tennis or pool a good chew of the fat and back to my partner with lots of new stuff to talk about.

Anyway your in the right place sure you'll make some friends here.

You can be grateful for what you have and still want to have friends. That's not selfish at all. It's good to remember that when you are friends with someone, it makes them feel good too. You both win.

Joturbo said:
TheLonelyBones said:

Hi no its definetly important i think to have friends outside even a close relationship and certainly not selfish to feel that you need a friend.There are some things just too personal that you just cant talk to your partner about and some subjects you know through experience will cause conflict with your partner so best to have a friend that you can confide in.
Thinking back it keeps a relationship fresh just having the occasional break from each other and having a good conversation about anything  with a good mate knowing nothing will get back to the family .l had a few friends like that..a good game of tennis or pool a good chew of the fat and back to my partner with lots of new stuff to talk about.

Anyway your in the right place sure you'll make some friends here.

Thank you sooooo much for your reply. Your message helped me so much today. I woke up this morning and went to went very late because I just felt too depressed to even get out of my bed. Now I just got here and realise my feelings are justified. 

Do you still have those friends? I love tennis. I should really get back into that, it might open me up to a way to make new friends... though my skills might be a little rusty now!  :p

Raph said:
You can be grateful for what you have and still want to have friends. That's not selfish at all. It's good to remember that when you are friends with someone, it makes them feel good too. You both win.

Thank you for your reply. 

Definitely. This is what I need to find. A new, good, strong friendship.

The one thing I want more than a partner even is a very good friend. Never had one thus far outside of a family member.

crony said:
The one thing I want more than a partner even is a very good friend. Never had one thus far outside of a family member.

Hi @crony life can be so hard without a friend. I know that feeling all too well. Feel free to message me any time. We are all looking for friends here.

Latest posts

Back