So they got a picture of a Black Hole.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First known actual image of it too. I'm enthused myself. Now, when we're done studying it, we'll finally unlock the secrets of FTL travel and found the UFP and Starfleet... ;-)

Thunderneck did a video explaining the photo with some useful tidbits of info

They pulled it off using an algorithm and pixel layering photo techniques with a digital telescope.
It's actually really cool how they went about doing it.
It took so long for the photos to develop (like 2 years or so) because of how large they were.
Those photos, each, were a petabyte in size.
Or to put that in simple English: Petabyte hard drives aren't accessible to the public, and you have to have a special license for them because that's what the experimental Quantum Computers use.

I absolutely rejoiced. It was a glorious day for science. :D

Richard_39 said:
Now, when we're done studying it, we'll finally unlock the secrets of FTL travel and found the UFP and Starfleet... ;-)

Hey, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. After all, it could be a gateway to a parallel universe run by evil versions of ourselves, or a portal to hell. You never know!

:( No stars on my thread, but at least everyone's chill and happy about the topic.

I've always been completely enamored with black holes, to be honest. There was a video some dude made compiling a ton of footage and it had these parts where the only thing on the screen was this black hole and this awful sound and I just couldn't help but to look over my shoulder. The sense of dread the guy built into the video was amazing.

They're scary things, to be sure.

Here's the video.

Just one of the bits I'm talkin about is around 8:15 Lol.

The whole video is a god damned existential crisis. Be warned.

TheSkaFish said:
Total newbie question here, but are black holes the thing that some people say could be somehow connected to time travel?  If so, what do they mean?

There have been countless theories about what happens to matter that goes into a black hole. Most probably that matter gets crushed until it's nearly nothing and then released as dust, but we just don't know. We're too far away from any black holes to send a probe in and even if we could, there's no guarantee it could communicate with us from the "other side" assuming it arrived intact.

Two of the more popular, albeit outlandish theories is that black holes can be used for time travel or as a worm hole to another universe/galaxy/dimension. Maybe it's a portal to a universe where Blockbuster Video never closed its shops? Not sure I'm willing to be crushed in a universal compactor to find out.

bVuB7Zs.jpg

Partially related...

It would be a spherical object ( as are most cosmic objects due to their own gravitational pull) with extremely high gravitational pull that draws in matter. Everything has a gravitational pull, so my lighter is pulling on the Earth and Vice Versa, but its negligable. (No wonder cigarettes end up in my mouth and I don't even notice.)

I think the only type of time travel you would experience if you were to enter a black hole is that of time slowing down, as it spaghettifies (think being torn in half, and then the part of your body furthest away is torn in half again, and then repeat, I think?) your body from toe to head or head to toe until you're less than dust. It's not like a hole in space time or anything, its just a point of gravitational pull that light cant escape so you cant see it. A black hole follows to same basic principle as anything else in that it's an object with a gravitational pull. You can't jump off of the surface of the Earth because its gravity hold you down. Just amplify that effect to the point that it not only tears you apart but also sucks in light. And since nothing travels faster than light, it can be considered the baseline for time travel or some nonsense. If you could move faster than the light particles, you could get somewhere before you aged comparable to those around you?

I'dunno. I love it, but it also sounds like nonsense to me. But in a scary way.

TheSkaFish said:
Total newbie question here, but are black holes the thing that some people say could be somehow connected to time travel?  If so, what do they mean?

Yes, but there are debatable technicalities as per the mathematics.

The science fiction suggestion is that like someone above said, black holes can be used as wormholes or shortcuts.

However, mathematically applied, you would need a counter-current ripple in order to contrast the progression of linear space-time dynamics.
Or in simple English: You would need another black hole, and then the merger of those two black holes.

Such as what was detected by LIGO.

There IS actually a mathematical, theoretical, legitimately plausible consideration for time travel with the idea of the merger of two Supermassive Black Holes. In that, there is a pathway that you could theoretically take in between the two, in which space-time would be so incredibly distorted, that you could see the entire experience of the universal expansion, in reverse...

You couldn't "alter" the past, or even really interact with it, it'd be more like watching a movie. BUT a movie that explains literally everything that we don't already know. (in theory, that is).

The trouble is that the mathematical problem for this is actually so great that literally nobody is working on it in the field of Astrophysics, not even Stephen Hawking before he died. We don't have the technological advancement to begin studying something like that, is the thing. Hawking agreed at some point that we simply just do not have the instruments to prove that yet.

We JUST NOW photographed the invisible...
Trying to mathematically expand upon its technical endeavors as to what it can/does do outside of what we already know, however...
Is a different story entirely...

We don't have instruments that can mathematically dissect and properly accommodate things like Dark Matter and Dark Energy, and so we have problems like The Vacuum Catastrophe, wherein subatomic particles can be seen interacting with each other in the pockets of empty, isolated space, and we have no idea why...BECAUSE we don't have the technology to be able to explain that yet.

Solving The Vacuum Catastrophe would likely require some funding for experimental scientific inventions, such as CERN with the LHC which took like 40 years to develop, or LIGO, which took around about 30 years or the same amount of time. What I'm trying to explain is: We WILL get there, it just likely won't be during my lifetime (considering that I'm 30 years old).

But what should give us hope within the world of science is that scientific assumption has been wrong before (many times, and has often lead to amazing discoveries as such) it is, however, science...meaning that it accepts its failures as factual evidences regardless of generalized social assumption. That's the whole reason I'm drawn to science in the first place: Even if it's wrong in its own assumption, it just accepts it as a new discovery anyways and keeps going based upon that discovery and treats that discovery as an evolution of itself. That's how physical science works. ^_^

Latest posts

Back