Hi, new lonely soul from Oz

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakotae

Reaction score
Hi, thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 47 from Adelaide, South Australia. 
I've found myself in this situation and once again I'm trying to reach out and connect with someone as the loneliness is crushing. I've found myself very isolated because of a few things, not a single friend (although people seem to like me as far as I can tell) and any family I would care to spend time with are too far away (I'm sort of the black sheep of the family and don't mind at all as they are all quite different to me).
I used to have good mates growing up, but during a 20 year relationship I raised my kids and friends fell out of the picture. I'm now single and find myself with not a single friend. Somewhere along the way I developed quite bad anxiety.

I think I've become so far out of touch with connecting with people it now feels I have a.. 'dis'-connect. It wont be long and my last child will leave home and I'll be totally alone and that scares the sh!t out of me. 

Are there any Aussies on here? Any from Adelaide? I don't care about your gender, where you live, age etc.. I'm just wanting to make an effort again because this loneliness gets unbearable.Anyway, you're welcome to PM me.

I'm not from there, I'm from & live in the US. I'm female as well. I have no kids and never married but I don't have friends IRL and it's always been hard for me to make friends IRL b/c of my social anxiety & shyness (I'm always wondering about how harshly they're judging me). But I've been practically a social butterfly online back in the day of Myspace & Yahoo chat. **** I miss those days. You used to be able to find some friendly ppl to chat to and actually consider each other friends. I don't know what happened but these days ppl add you obn Facebook but literally never PM you just to have a conversation. It seems like they think they are celebrities and want "fans" not "friends" b/c they seem to expect everyone to just accept their add and then Like and Comment on everything yet literally NEVER do those things for you! Like wtf was the point of adding me then? Actual family members even do this, I really don't get it.

Anyways you can reply here or PM me. I'm always up for a chat! :)

I am 21 from NYC USA. I definitely had a disconnect, could barely speak to others because I was so used to being isolated and not talking much. That problem went away, but was replaced by social anxiety, which is somewhat less of a problem now. I still email people who I would rather not face in person to talk about difficult subjects, I suppose this could be a good and time-saving strategy rather than a sign of having anxiety and avoiding people.

I still have a disconnect with people my age because I don't use social media. This is because I hear so many negatives about it and I personally think its weird to digitize social interactions with likes and comments.

I definitely had loneliness crushing me in the past and while I'm a huge socialite now, when I graduate from Queens College (City University of New York) it will probably be crushing me again. Just like all the other schools I graduated from before this, people will display a willingness to keep in touch but never contact me later on. Why is the burden always on me to keep reaching out to people? Are they all too busy with work and other friends to miss me and contact me?

Latest posts

Back